Tuesday Thoughts

      I'm sure you're all going to be sick of my yammering about retirement planning. I can't help it. With how life is now, thinking forward is what keeps me managing the day to day stress and frustration. I love my kids, my family, my friends, but the 9-10 hours every day work and the countless other hours where problems pop into my head when I'm trying to be signed off is draining. 

     Last year, work this time of year was almost a relief. But, I realize now decisions being made last year that I had not been a part of  either because of missed work days or not quite in the right headspace to fully comprehend, could have been different. I'm left dealing with the negative impact of a path announced by those that had little to no understanding to what implementation would mean at the volume and timeline required. I laugh in the not funny way that today is staff appreciation. 

     Happy Tuesday all. I want to be on that train of thought that if I just get through Tuesday, the work week will be better. No day has been smooth. Fridays have been particularly challenging, maybe because I don't expect the issues and think that it should be a breeze heading into the weekend. Negativity done now. 

     I'm meeting my youngest later after work. I didn't see her on the weekend due to her plans and a bit mine. She has some leads on a couple good job opportunities. I hope she puts resume in for them this week even though there's time before they close. She gets stressed when she's up against deadlines and she's a major procrastinator. Applying earlier would resolve that stress before it comes. 

     I'm excited for my older daughter being able to go on a yoga retreat near Zion National park. It's her first time in that park and yoga has been her best therapy. I get to love extra on grandpup. He and I had a really great play in the dog park yesterday on a perfect May day. Lots of best boys and girls for him to run and chase balls with. It's daycare day so he'll see his regular buddies. 

     Both my son and older daughter have been helping me with yard and garden work. Last night, after the planters were assembled Sunday by my daughter, my son got them filled with black dirt. I need to transfer zucchini starters to one, and pepper plants to the other. If nothing grows, well I can say I tried. I have cucumber seeds to  plant as well as some pumpkin and acorn squash. These are really a shot in the dark. Next year, she says, I'll really be a gardener. I'm keeping it simple because of my mobility issues starting in August. 

     I'm out of the shower, dressed, dogs out, coffee made, bag packed, and now to get out the door. First stop is doggie daycare then the office. By days end, my count down number is 61 weeks. 

     

Comments

  1. I will never tire of your retirement planning. It is one of the most important things you will do for your future! Peace of mind once you arrive will be priceless. (we planned for 30 years!!!!)

    Happy Tuesday to you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good, because it's on my mind a lot. I guess we've been planning for that long too.

      Delete
  2. 61 weeks - the countdown is on! M & I haven't gotten to our conversation yet about how we want to use the majority of my severance (we had overlapping trips & then he's been full steam at work). I'm looking forward to that conversation, so I can put a pin in plans & budgeting for a bit. Also, Zion is so beautiful! Your daughter will love it. (Hawaii Planner)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just got back from running her to airport. She's looking forward to the whole retreat. I'm sure you'll be savvy with your decisions.

      Delete
  3. TheHub is in countdown mode also, but his looks a lot different than yours. As of today he only has 28 (0r is it 29) more workdays. I am excited and also a little apprehensive. We have never been together all day on a daily basis. I think I am very happy we have not scaled down in house size yet. There are a lot of places in the house for either or both of us to escape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plus, you seem like you fill your days easily. Maybe he'll learn from you.

      Delete
  4. I don't get tired of your retirement planning talk even though I am not in the same space. A real gardener, so funny but true. Those hosta can be divided when they are still only three inches high. I did it all the time and it is easier than fighting the tough roots or whatever they are while the big tops flop in the face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe will divide them this year to spread them to a few other places.

      Delete
  5. Like everyone else has said , I won’t tire of you sharing retirement plans either- we can all learn something from each other as you tell us your plans and share your thoughts
    Have a lovely time with your daughter
    Siobhan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a nice night- brought her roommate too for Thai food. Lots of kitten snuggles, but he's now almost 9 months so more cat. I'm so uncertain about retirement but will make the leap.

      Delete
  6. Talk about retirement planning all you want and need. I went through this as well about a year ago. Now I need to think about what I'm going to do with my days. I'm on the countdown, only a couple weeks left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please share any tips and what you decide. I like hearing others plans too.

      Delete
  7. I enjoy reading about your retirement planning as we are starting on the same journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with your planning. Are you going from full time to part time, or full work to full retirement?

      Delete
  8. Way to go with the gardening. If you want "inspiration" try listening to gardener Monty Don! Most of his gardening is way beyond my level but he has a voice like liquid silk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I get a sandwich worth of vegetables I'll be excited. I'm not familiar but will Google Monty Don.

      Delete
  9. We are retired and still talk about it .... Amish guy told Hubby he prepares for winter all the time, winter in the season and winter in his life as he is needing to build a dawdy (grandpa) house on the main house. Keep talking of retirement. I have kids that will be retiring in about 10 yrs.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

If you comment anonymously, it'd be nice to have a name to go with the comment. It helps me string other people's comments and therefore their experiences together.

Popular posts from this blog

Testing the Waters

Floundering Financially

On Having Things to Look Forward To