Thrift and Such May 9, 2025

     


     No more talk about the SS news, or non- news depending on perspective. But, I still need to be very focused on putting all spare money aside towards that six month bridge between retirement and turning 60 next year. I'm trying to find a good life too, and so trying to both save money and put money where it might help bring some joy.  Here's my journal for the week in thrifty actions. 

Saving on things we buy

  • My son stocked up on both laundry soap and dishwasher tablets, buying at a good price in a quantity that should get us through June. 
  • My daughter has the same weed whacker and was able to source a multi pack of new line for both of us to last the summer at a much lower cost than in single or double packs in stores. **As I type this, I'm reminded that another thriftier option might be to share a weed whacker. But if you know how weeds can take over very quickly, we both want one at our own house. For other yard maintenance items, sharing or borrowing might work. 

Earning money

  • I passed another point level on Fetch. I haven't cashed in, but thinking I might put towards something practical like Amazon, which we'll use anyway, offsetting a future cost. I was disappointed that Red Robin was no longer an offer. I'd pair the gift card with the free birthday burger and fries around my birthday while doing some holiday shopping for a really inexpensive day out for me and another. Now it'll just be the birthday meal I guess. 
  • Not sure if this fits, as it's my money, but I put in for medical copay reimbursement, saving taxes in money that goes to the medical flex account. 

Avoiding spending

  • After working all day Sunday in the yard, I was going to treat my son and older daughter to happy hour out somewhere. Instead, my son suggested just having the wine already in the refrigerator and having a slightly earlier dinner. 
  • Like my point above for birthday deals, sign up for any rewards programs! This was a good win for my cash flow this month in that I got a free oil change and tire rotation worth $88. Every 5th is free at the dealership. This was the result of my last oil change, two on daughter's car, and one on the car I sold this winter. Now it will be probably be only every two years for free based on my limited driving, but still a great perk, as it averages to a $17 per oil change savings. I actually use coupons for the others, so save a bit more there. If I take good care of this car, I might be good for 20 years. Some may find better affordable maintenance options not with a dealership,  but I find value using my husband's former store because prices are competitive and I trust mechanics and technicians. 

Eating/Using what we have

  • Because I hadn't really grocery shopped, just a few top up items, we cobbled together meals all weekend through yesterday ( and probably today). Granted, I had a meal out, but ate my leftovers for lunch.
  • I used up the last of a couple bags of potting soil from last year. It was pretty dry so needed a lot of water to be useable, but saved a few bucks. The saying cheap as dirt is outdated. Dirt is not cheap! 
  • Reused old flower pots to report a few flowers from the flat splurge( see below)
  • I made just a simple cheese spread and crackers with some ingredients already on hand for my contribution to Derby Day. I brought along a bottle of wine already in the refrigerator. 
  • My older daughter brought random fresh food items that wouldn't be good once she's home. She and son made use of odds and ends and some of the produce, for supper as she stayed over night before her trip. We used the produce in a pasta sauce Wednesday. Bonus, leftovers for Thursday. 
  • I'm counting this here- we maximized the garbage can to full this week with some purging to prepare for back yard. Most weeks we don't utilize it to the size paid for and there's not a smaller option. 

For others

  • Picked up my sister for the Derby Day. I left earlier than others so she got a ride home with another sister. 
  • Took my younger daughter and her roommate out for dinner. We all had leftovers for Wednesday lunch. 
  • Brought my older daughter to the airport so she'd not have ridiculous parking costs. 
Thrifty Bonus 
  • My older daughter brought over several leftovers from the food truck where she worked on Saturday. That supplemented a few meals. She also brought nearly a gallon of basil lemonade. 
  • Because I was out the door at 4:30, then driving home at 5:00 a.m. I experienced a beautiful sunrise. Definitely a thrifty bonus. 

     I had a few splurges to keep life  interesting. To keep myself honest, here's the extras.

  • While I've been trying to get seeds started for flowers, I bought a few more small flats of flowers, plus a hanging basket of sunny bright yellow something's. I was craving the instant color gratification. 
  • I took my younger daughter and roommate out for dinner on Tuesday. She lives close to my office and since I didn't need to pick up the dog, it worked well schedule wise. Thrifty part was keeping leftovers for lunch in Wednesday. 
          The flowers were worth the splurge. It's nice sitting on the porch with a cup of coffee or my lunch and seeing the color. 

Comments

  1. Sounds like a great list - thoughtful, while still having fun & prioritizing time with family & things that make you happy, like the flowers. Airport parking is crazy expensive, so nicely done helping your daughter avoid that cost. (Hawaii Planner)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think parking was up to $32 a day back in October, and I understand Minneapolis is less than most airports. I'm trying to find a balance.

      Delete
  2. I absolutely would count the flex money as money earned, just by being tax exempt.
    I am glad you are having some splurges. That is what keeps sticking to a budget from feeling like drudgery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind using money for fun, just not stupid spending without thought. I sort of wish I had put a bit more in my flex account. I'm not sure how much my out of pocket will be for knee but both my daughter and I have had extras medical this year.

      Delete
  3. Good list. It is truly amazing what we can do and still enjoy without spending much money!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Summer can be both frugal but also tempting so hopefully I'll find a balance.

      Delete
  4. What a great list! I really do need to start one of these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's kind of a ramble, but helps me think about where I'm spending and where saving.

      Delete
  5. That’s a really positive and creative list - and inspired by your decisions to have something to look forward to , I have booked a trip to New York for a few days next January- I will be 60 Aome months before you - I celebrated my 40th and 50th there ( with Tony ) so I will mark this birthday with my kids

    There was a good deal with BA that was ending shortly , and I had been putting some extra money away in an account that I don’t use - so the trip itself is paid for - it’s the spending money to gather but there is plenty of time -
    It will never be the same without Tony but we need to mark these occasions -
    Siobhan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you're doing that! I've only been in NY airports, never actually been there. Maybe after retirement I'll do better exploring. It's good your kids can be with you. No, never the same without Tony, but they are part of you both.

      Delete
    2. Come join us !
      S x

      Delete
    3. Email me details and I just might, lol. I wouldn't want to invade your family time, and still focused on Fall 2025 post retirement to get to the UK.

      Delete

Post a Comment

If you comment anonymously, it'd be nice to have a name to go with the comment. It helps me string other people's comments and therefore their experiences together.

Popular posts from this blog

Testing the Waters

Floundering Financially

On Having Things to Look Forward To