Thrift and Such May 2, 2024

    


     I like how Hawaii Plan commented that "Some weeks it doesn't really feel all that frugal, but that's likely because most weeks are much *more* frugal by comparison." I think that's so accurate when we generally try and be good stewards of our funds. This was one  of those weeks where I didn't spend wrecklessly, but frugality was hard to come by. It was a big splurge week, see bottom, but no regrets. Plus, to be fair, I could have spent a lot more and had unsatisfactory experiences too. 

Saving on things we buy

  • My dryer has not been drying effectively. I Googled causes, determined likely issue was lint build up/ block in dryer vent. I compared a variety of services and found a top rated one that was between 10 and 30% less than others, and could come when it fit my schedule. He explained process, and showed result. No mess was left. So far, the dryer timing has improved. I know, I need a clothes line and getting a replacement to my umbrella style is on my list. 
  • Bought a mess of greeting cards at Dollar Tree, savings a lot over other stores. Though, few are 2/$1 anymore, but at  least still just $1. 

Earning money

  • Nothing this week,  not even found money doing laundry. 

Avoiding spending

  • I already spent a small fortune in gas with the amount of driving to my nieces, but on Tuesday, I saved a bit by not driving all the way into the office, savings probably 20 miles/ 2/3rds of a gallon.
  • I also was at a meeting right by a wonderful Mexican grocery store with a delicious ready to eat counter, plus just blocks away from the taco restaurant run by my favorite Mexican restaurant. I knew we had leftovers at home to eat for lunch, so bypassed both. Sad, but thrifty me. 

Eating what we have/ Using what we have

  • Double cooked Sunday using up the rest of a bag of lentils and remnants of carrots. The other meal was burritos/ bowls using frozen taco meat and cilantro lime rice my son hauled back to Minnesota. 
  • I made a batch of muffins using homemade jam. I think my baking soda is old as I didn't get much rise, but still delicious. I'm going to try the same thing this morning but bake in a pan instead of muffins since they're so sticky. 

For others

  • Sent my youngest home with dal, two burritos, and two muffins. She stayed all weekend into Monday.
  • My daughter used my washer and dryer (ugh and hope issue resolved for a while) to do a load of clothes and her soccer uniform and shin guards. 
  • I took care of my nieces boys, picking up from child care Monday, staying over night, and bringing them the next morning. They were at a destination wedding for his family and my SIL with the sick son needed to be focused on him, not child care. She lives an hour away, plus an hour from where my Tuesday meeting was, but she was very appreciative. She left me ( all her back up caregivers) a coffee card I'll use in the future.
Thrifty Bonus 
  • WhatsApp came through again, allowing my niece to call quick to talk to her boys. It's a terrific free app for foreign travel and staying connected if needed.

     And to keep myself honest, I made a few splurges as life is about "both and" when it comes to spending and saving.

  • Splurged on a shared appetizer and a dessert drink for intermission at the Dinner Theater matinee. I had already spent $80 on ticket, so this was another $22 for tip, drink, and some cash to my sister who had appetizer on her bill. 
  • Bought overpriced fruit and vegetable tray to bring last minute to my sister's. It was an impromptu cookout and she fed three in my family as my son and younger daughter came too. Food was delicious and it was a lot of fun being outside on their deck with the propane fireplace, though we used blankets too. Every piece of fruit and veg was eaten so a good buy, even if expensive. 
     With the duct cleaning, the play, the produce trays, and the added gas, definitely not a frugal week. But, everything spent was for good purpose, so I guess that meets my definition of thrift. 

Comments

  1. It sounds like it was a good and frugal enough week. I am glad you are keeping some splurges in your life.
    So what that you spent a little more than normal for the fruit and veggie tray. You bought time with your family which is well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right- time is what I purchased. I appreciate that look at it.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a really good week, with lots of balance. Good work passing up the ready to eat Mexican. I've been on a trip with my mom, and we've eaten lots of absolutely fantastic Tex Mex! (Hawaii Planner)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the flavors so that was a lot of will power to drive home without stopping.

      Delete
  3. There are weeks we have too many splurges. The next week, there is no splurge at all. Trying is what counts, but some weeks just are not working out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with Anne above, so not fretting it.

      Delete
  4. "But, everything spent was for good purpose, so I guess that meets my definition of thrift"--well put, Sam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the plan- I don't think I have as wasteful.

      Delete
  5. Yes, "good purpose" is so important. That's thrifty in my book as well. A clothes dryer is critical to me. I have no desire to use a clothes line (too much work!), so I fit the dryer costs into my thrift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want a new line for heavy things like sheets, blankets s, washable rugs. I will hang a lot of items to dry, but not the whole of my laundry.

      Delete
  6. I only grabbed a few odds and ends of groceries to tide us over. Scanned two weeks worth of receipts in all my apps. Got an offer for a free fast food breakfast and I’m treating myself to that tomorrow. Went to the grocery outlet with my dad and some of the prices were fantastic but a lot of the stuff was things we don’t eat. I did stash away a Christmas gift though. (Non-food item lol) Quiet week in general here. Cleaning out the dryer vent and ducts is worth every penny for your safety as well! JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure was nice getting a load of towels dry in l as than before the dryer was slow. It must have been a slow build up. There's been a few safety things I've taken care of this year.

      Delete

Post a Comment

If you comment anonymously, it'd be nice to have a name to go with the comment. It helps me string other people's comments and therefore their experiences together.

Popular posts from this blog

Testing the Waters

Floundering Financially

On Having Things to Look Forward To