Retirement Seminar Tidbits

      Well, that was two days of head spinning information. I spent the last two days, 6 hours of content day one and 6  1/2 on day two going through everything from Deferred Comp and Pension to keeping health insurance and Medicare, to life planning in retirement. Much was information I knew already, but I learned several new things. The new things I learned have prompted me to get a review of every piece of paperwork that touches my life before and after I die. 

     Those of you that have already retired will probably be amazed at my ignorance on some of these new tidbits. Those outside of the USA have to be thinking what an awful lot of crap to try and deal with.

Life insurance- I can only keep employee automatic for 18 months, but then can convert to an optional life. ( I have both now.) However, it converts to a whole life policy at market rates. But, if I keep for five years, it becomes a paid up policy with a 20% lifetime value. I have to find the chart to estimate how much coverage will cost and add into my post retirement budget. 

Long term care insurance- This was a stick my head in the sand topic, but reality is, I'll need something. AARP may be my research go to, but I'll check with many of the other links. Regardless, here's another few thousand a year to add to my budget.

Health Insurance and Medicare- I already had the sticker shock of what my insurance will be, and even more, keeping my daughter on until age 26. I was oblivious to what Part A, Part B, Part D, gap, donut hole etc. all meant. It's still confusing, but if I continue my health insurance, which is a one and only chance decision at retirement, mine drops considerably at age 65 (unless age is raised), and I'll be fairly well supported. I've had this in my budget. I didn't know there was a Part B cost, but since I hadn't factored a reduction in my portion, I sort of do have this budgeted. 

Social Security- I have mostly understood my eligibility and when. The biggest thing to decide is if it makes sense to switch to my own at age 67 or wait until 70. I did the math, and if I switch at 70, I won't make up the value of what I receive those three years until I turn 74. After that, it's a significant difference. 

My IRA and it's management- I may move the bulk of my retirement account, my former employer and my husband's which I inherited, into my current employers. I didn't know that was doable. But, there is a flat management fee compared to a % fee, and if my calculations are close to accurate, I'd save thousands per year. I have to do at retirement and not all plans can be moved, just certain types. I have a portfolio review in a few weeks and will have this conversation. 

Power of Attorney, Health Care Directives, Beneficiaries, Wills, and Trusts- Sure, all things in play, especially when you have children. But, I've not updated all my paperwork, and I learned some documents have more authority over others. Basically, I need a meeting with a lawyer that specializes in estate planning. I never considered that I have an "estate"; that's for rich people. But, I have all the components that make up one, so best I get my wishes updated, verified and documented. Did I mention this was all on my husband's post retirement "to do" list. 

     There's probably more I haven't touched on. I'll print all materials and put in a binder so I can mark up with things that pertain to me specifically. I ordered a new, slightly larger fire safe box for all this added, but to be organized, paperwork. 

     Other speakers spoke about managing life after retirement, staying fulfilled mentally, physically, and socially. I'll share highlights in another post. Basically though, managing all the crap above feels like at least a part time job in and of itself. I read blogs by retiree's and their time making calls and figuring out hassles and I understand them now. 

Comments

  1. My honest response - that sounds terrifying- but then that’s because I don’t understand a great deal about the US system - but you sound as if that was on balance a useful exercise to complete to help you plan . I have just redone my will -
    another reminder that Tony has gone
    Siobhan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry, Siobhan. The necessaries of life are just painful actions, aren't they? Greed and manipulation is why our system is so complicated. It doesn't need to be.

      Delete
  2. A couple of comments. AARP has good information on retirement plans, options, insurance options. As to "estate planning, speaking as a retired attorney in another state, I cannot say enough about the importance of healthcare directives and a general Power of Attorney. There are ways to set up your assets (house, accounts, pensions) so they can pass on to your children or others, but the directives and POA are for you while living. Yes, many hospitals will listen to family members if you were unable to make a medical decision (because you were unconscious, for example), but some will be sticklers for the "show us the paperwork that she wanted you to have this authority." You might do some googling to see if there are any upcoming seminars on basic estate planning, to give you an overview, and then move forward. (And yes, you may receive mailings for the "have a free dinner on us while we explain estate law"--very popular around here--and nothing wrong with that as long as you remember you do NOT have to sign up with that firm--enjoy the meal and then walk away!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely want expert guidance on these things. No way do I want my kids to have to figure out and fight the systems when I know what I want. I just don't know how to ensure it happens as I want.

      Delete
  3. Retirement planning is a totally different world than all the planning and saving you do in the years prior.
    I agree about the healthcare directives and POA. Fortunately for my sister and me, my parents had all ready arranged things so we could do whatever they needed and make decisions as needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine did too- but then, older siblings dealt with most. I want my kids to not be burdened.

      Delete
  4. All good points. Did they talk about having different investment returns run so you can see how decreases would affect your budget? Also did they talk about inflation planning? It is a lot and it does end after retirement. Initially we also looked at likely replacement timelines and costs for big ticket items (cars, roof, major appliances, water heater, furnace, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, I don’t know current rules on switching between your husband’s SS and yours but you might benefit from finding out if you can take the lower one at a younger age and switch to the higher one at 70.

      Delete
    2. For as long as the seminar was, only the surface was touched on these topics, but they were discussed. Yes, planning for downturns in the market, planning for replacement of expenses, and cost of living increases. I have loads of worksheets, hence why I want binders and in print. I can get my husband's SS at 60 as a widow. Then, at 67 or 70, I can choose mine, which of course I will because it will be much higher ( we earned about the same, but in recent years, I've made quite a bit more) I just need to decide to do that at 67 or 70.

      Delete
  5. We felt that life insurance was not a thing for us once the kids were off on their own. We had no one dependent on us so no reason for life insurance.(MY hubs was in the insurance biz his whole career so he knows/knew a few things about this area.)You probably want to keep some life insurance until your daughter ages out of being on your health insurance. Dealing with this financial retirement stuff is daunting yes, but once you get "your ducks in a row" it's not so bad. It's true, what The Notorious B.I.G. said, "Mo Money, Mo Problems". ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having greatly benefitted from both my parents policy and my husband ( now children) from his grandparents, I feel strongly I want to leave a gift to them to help with their lives. It won't be a fortune, but useful. I have a policy that is very affordable for the coverage since It's so old/ I was so young when it started. The work/ retirement version would ensure my final plans funeral, send off whatever, are not burdensome. Of course if I too die youngish, they'll have more proceeds. My husband's version was a God send to ensure my kids weren't saddled with grad school debt. It's just a different priority than others might have, but I feel strongly about it.

      Delete
  6. Caution on that whole life promise. We were promised exactly that back in our early 30s. 10y later, our company said we didn't have a policy as we had failed to pay the fees they said were owed. The market crashed and it didn't "pay for itself". Huh? Not a leg to stand on. I've never been angrier about money!!!! Next time you attend a session, ask about using Term only to cover debt and burial so your children don't have that to cover. Once we were debt free and retirement funding was solid, we stopped life insurance.

    These are all HARD decisions to make. And right now, I'm sure your brain is on mega overload! I hope you have a good Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not a fortune, so if the worst happens, it wouldn't be earth shattering. I'm not in a private company either. Fortunately, I'm debt free so insurance would go to funeral, and then my kids. I just need to make sure that is all in legal writing.

      Delete
  7. I just dealt with the life insurance piece, and due to having lupus, we went ahead & ported that policy over. We went with a very low amount (the lowest they offered was $250k) vs the amount I previously had, as I'm not currently working. However, if DH suddenly lost his job & I died, the insurance would pay for the kids to have health insurance, if they are still in college. When everyone is on their own, we can decide if we need to continue paying. DH has a significant policy at his employer as well. It definitely is all complicated, so good luck figuring everything out along the way. (Hawaii Planner)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having experienced it, you're wise to plan for any scenario. My husband's foresight meant I have no debt, the older kids grad school debt is gone, and funds are there for youngest to go to grad school. Hopefully all will have homes of their own, so anything I set up helps their future. I am not adverse to ensuring generational wealth and opportunity!

      Delete
  8. Like Siobhan says, it sounds absolutely terrifying compared to our life in the UK.
    We've just done our wills, as an unmarried couple we have very few rights under UK law and I refuse to conform by getting married. Fortunately for us we have a solicitor friend so it cost us peanuts! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s ridiculous Vix that you and Jon don’t have the same rights - you are in a committed relationship and have been for decades - roll on the election !
      Siobhan x

      Delete
    2. That is infuriating. I remember a sad event from friends of a sister. This was before gay marriage was legal. Her friends partner had terminal cancer. The not in-laws, who disowned him a decade earlier, swooped in and violated his medical preferences and property rights, then stole his assets, leaving partner to truly fend for himself and have to navigate his grief, excluded. Pieces of S$&&T people. I'm glad you've got a friend that can protect you both.

      Delete
  9. It all sounds really complicated, I don't envy you one bit. I hope you have knowledgeable advisors to help you sort it all out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm searching for another attorney, one who specializes in taxes and estate planning. It's terrifying. I didn't think I'd do this alone.

      Delete
  10. Sorting out the retirement and health care paperwork was daunting. It didn't help that the HR person was new and didn't know much. Today was my last day of work, and I sure hope I did the paperwork right. I suggest getting long term care insurance as soon as you can. By the time I tried to get it, I'd become immunocompromised and it was too late.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations! I hope my various issues don't make me ineligible. Once my knee is done, I feel like I'll be a new person

      Delete
    2. I agree with Celie-get Long Term Care policy asap! The earlier you get one the cheaper it is and you may not have to "qualify" medically.

      Delete
  11. It sounds like you have a new part-time job. I like the idea of keeping it all together and in a lock box. Have you considered making copies of it all as it is updated and keeping all the copies in a different location?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, of course. My family will need to have details.

      Delete
  12. To those of us outside the US it all sounds incredibly complicated but you're obviously doing the right thing by getting expert advice. I think I have mentioned this before but I also set up a file called Life in Motion where I have all the details of my different bank accounts, pass codes, a copy of my life insurance and so on. Also who to contact at the pension fund, health insurance, funeral expenses etc. Things that might help to make my kids's lives easier when I pass on. Obviously you can't totally prepare everything but leaving everything as "clean" as possible has to help. My brother was absolutely lost when his wife died so suddenly and didn't know where to start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can relate to your brothers experience. It was all very overwhelming last year, and we had many things organized,just not all.

      Delete

Post a Comment

If you comment anonymously, it'd be nice to have a name to go with the comment. It helps me string other people's comments and therefore their experiences together.

Popular posts from this blog

Testing the Waters

Floundering Financially

On Having Things to Look Forward To