Monday of a Long Weekend Recap

      Nothing very exciting. I had given a contribution to the family flowers that are put on graves every spring, but wasn't able to go along as siblings and cousins did on Thursday. My sister sent a couple pictures. While we did not lose any immediate family members in wars, there's a long service history in the family in several branches and several members are active in VFW and American Legion work. Memorial Day has always been treated with reverence. 

     I did more weeding- that's what my  back yard seems to be this summer, weeds and big thistles. I had to take it a bit easy as my knee was playing up and with Tuesday being an office day, didn't want to be in more than the regular discomfort. 

     My gray mood came back- just sad at times. I keep trying to be busy, but I'm avoiding what needs to be done before my surgery and that's a complete clean, purge, pack, and declutter of my bedroom. It'll get done but will need to will myself. Other things occupied me instead. I did some life admin, creating a spread sheet to really track finances. I was about text to the patio/ railing guy to get an update on his plan to finish since going radio silence since Wednesday when he and a partner spent a couple hours, but look like their only about 1/4 done. But, then he came early afternoon,but only positioned the posts. If not completed in the next couple days, I'll check-in on a definitive completion timeline.

     All my kids ended up being here for supper. Earlier I Googled some  recipes with lentils. I made this Bolognese in the crock pot, to stretch my pantry a bit more. I had the French Open on in the background. We ate it over spaghetti and there's a lot leftover even with . my youngest packing some for her lunch. 

     The day was rainy as predicted, so while I would have liked a long walk, knowing my knee had other plans, I settled for just more outside time with the dogs in between rain showers and cleaned up muddy feet multiple times. 

     So I guess it's officially summer season, with meteorological summer starting on Saturday and the summer solstice on June 20. I spent some of my day with an old book, feeling the need for a bit of friendly comfort. I hope your week starts out well and ends better.

Comments

  1. I have been in a grey phase too - and like you am watching the French Open
    Siobhan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like tennis. When my knee is good, I hope to add as a retirement activity. I'm not the best but there's courts everywhere.

      Delete
  2. Sending good thoughts on cleaning out your bedroom. Can you break it into sections? Set a timer and do it in 15 minute increments? Get rid of five things a day? When we remodeled our master bath we painted the bedroom and got new carpeting. I had to take everything out of the room and closet, and I vowed to keep it neat/clean (I had always read that your bedroom should be your oasis, and ours was more like "what can I hide in here?"). Three years and counting and I'm keeping my promise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not the physical act, it's mental, emotionally challenging. It means making the room my own, and that's hard.

      Delete
  3. I’m just accepting that this is a great phase in my life. Happiness is around but short lived and can’t seem to fill the empty spot inside. Saturday, I worked until 4:00 and while it was lovely during the day, it started raining just before I came home. We had a nice lil cookout and were able to fit on the covered back porch just fine. It did stop raining and we did get a small rainbow too. I was beat and in bed by 10:00. Worked open to close Sunday. It was hot and beautiful and we were dead which only made the day drag longer. Husband, daughter and I were able to squeeze in a mile walk and ice cream before it stormed again. Yesterday I again worked until 4:30 and we cooked out with DD and her boyfriend before visiting DS and his girlfriend for a bit. I was prompted to do a bit of research last night after reading a friends fb post and learned much about an incident that affected so many people around the area. I was a child during the Gulf War and don’t remember much, but local reservists were deployed and killed during the scud missile attack. Turns out my friend’s husband’s father was one of them. It really tore the community apart and I’m surprised to this day of how it’s not spoken about, but the hurt is still only just under the surface. I too am watching the French open this morning, a sure sign of summer. JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was supposed to say grey phase, not great phase🙄 autocorrect is not my friend. JoAnn

      Delete
    2. I got it. I get glimpses that feel like maybe I'm starting to turn a corner in. Y grief and perpetual sadness, then I'll wake, or just change positions and I have an almost physical pain and ache in my stomach- literally feel punched.

      Delete
  4. Reading in bed is one of my all time favorite ways to improve my mood. I've found a fun new series, and I love that I have 8 books to get through. Hope you have a lovely week filled with some sun & positive happenings. (Hawaii Planner)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to read more- easy escape for a bit.

      Delete
  5. I'm a bit of a neat freak with probably a tad bit of OCD so consider the source. That being said, I would start the bedroom with one closet or drawer at a time. I like to have everything organized before I start the deep cleaning or redecorating. I hope your day at the office goes well and that you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said above to anonymous, it's a mental challenge more than having the ability. I was a wreck last summer with the garage purge. This will be worse as it's his personal items.

      Delete
  6. I packed up some of my sister's personal items and stashed the boxes in basement. That was 2 years ago. Her daughter took only a few items. Someday , when I'm ready, I'll go thru them. So what if they take up space that would otherwise be bare floor? . For now knowing they are easily accessible is comforting. Perhaps this would work for you with the bedroom items?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's the approach I'll need to start with
      Thank you. It's tough for you too.

      Delete
  7. May I suggest a book series? The Sweet Potato Queens set in Mississippi. Read them in order. Also, Crazy in Alabama is hilarious. I read the book but never saw the movie. I understand from personal experience not wanting to rid a room of things from someone dead. It's hard to even think about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always happy to get book recommendations.

      Delete
    2. Such Kindness by Andre Dubus III

      Delete
  8. I hope that grey mood soon lifts, Sam. Gah, workmen! We've been waiting for the builder who repointed our brickwork to come and do another job he'd offered to do for us and he's disappeared into the ether! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But then, he called yesterday when I was in the office and got it all done. It looks great too. I hope your brick guy resurfaces.

      Delete
  9. Sending hugs. Hope the grey moods gets a little lighter. I was feeling down the other week and, although Mum was in England, I always celebrated both Mother's Day for her (she had been my only parent). I realised that it was Mother's Day coming up over here and realised that's why I was probably in a funk. I miss her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss my parents too. I feel left behind in life- might be the best way to describe my mood. Everyone else is living and me, existing. I'm sad for the challenges my kids are having too, and I can't help.

      Delete

Post a Comment

If you comment anonymously, it'd be nice to have a name to go with the comment. It helps me string other people's comments and therefore their experiences together.

Popular posts from this blog

So Very Tired

Testing the Waters

Floundering Financially