Saturday Recap

     I've had "words" that rubbed me the wrong way so often lately, I'm beginning to think the lesson Thumper learned in the forest was forgotten by too many adults. I'm trying hard to ignore bothersome things that don't matter in my life, but wow, can people be insensitive jerks. To the flip side, here's my attempt at summarizing life, while trying to grab at least a simple joy or pleasure to share. This is for April 20-April 26, 2024.

Saturday: I got to sleep in a bit Saturday since just the lazy older dog was here. I planned a spur of the moment get away with three of my sisters- so something to look forward to. My youngest and I had a good day playing with her kitten, lunch, coffee and chatting, zoo to walk and chat some more, and Target. I got more kitten snuggles. I brought her laundry with me as it wasn't going to work for her to come, and I like being needed. It was a full day.

Sunday: It was a lazy day; both my son and I battled a headache a bit, likely allergy triggered. I managed to get two boxes purged of old stuff from the bathrooms that had just been dumped in boxes. I also got the top of the computer hutch cleared. Baby steps! I took pup with me to my older daughter's as I just needed a change of scenery. We played in her yard with the dogs until I brought them both home with me. 

Monday: I used my lunch break and worked late so I could have a long play with grandpup at the dog park. The weather was perfect. I used a different break to take pup for a solo walk as they need different speeds. I can't wait for spring days when I can bring work outside and the dogs will be able to just explore the back yard. Of course, next year I'll be slowly easing out of work by spring. Still, nice to daydream about the soon to be fenced in yard. 

Tuesday: Tuesday was very busy. My daughter didn't hear me call when I stopped by before work, so I came later to get a few kitten cuddles before I met up for a work event- extended Happy Hour and she had a community meeting. It was nice to hang out with "grown ups" but I am not a hip Minneapolis person as I navigated with some stress getting to and from and parking. My older daughter stayed over as she needed to pick up her dog at day care and we had a good visit. 

Wednesday: My younger daughter worked from home and was having a sad day, so asked to come over. Of course!!! The three of us had a nice spaghetti Bolognese with a bottle of wine ( just one small glass for her as she drove home later.) We took the dogs for a nice walk as weather was perfect. She stayed through Amazing Race and let me know she made it safely back to her apartment. 

Thursday: Mid afternoon I had a nice long walk with the young dog. It helped him be settled so I could truly focus on some work calls and a stressful situation. I had a positive update from my niece on her brother. He's still so ill, recuperating is going to be a long process, but he successfully had a bit of juice. I'm helping her next week with her kids- sort of a revolving door of child care while they are at a destination wedding. Her parents were to be the child care but both needing to be caring for her brother and sheer exhaustion, this is the back up plan. I met my daughter on route with her dog and then pup, son, and I had a quiet night at home. 

Friday: It was supposed to be my flex day, but I worked the morning on overflow work plus a meeting. I got laundry done, and bit the bullet and swapped out regular sheets and stuck the flannels away. It's still might chilly in the morning, but thought I must be prolonging the cold! I'm going to look for sales or clearance on a second set of flannel sheets and some for the other beds in full and twin sizes. I did a decent shelf clean in the refrigerator so when I finally shop, I'll know what's there and sticky bits gone. I also got a couple old vacuums and some other household electronics to the recycling center. It felt good to get a few more things gone from the house. I came back home to another stretch of work and resolved another sticky situation that popped up. It was an on and off rainy day, good for the new apple trees and the grass seed. A good productive day is a simple pleasure I guess. 

    I've been tracking spring growth and happy to see the couple lilac bushes in the neighborhood getting greener and more lush. My hostas are starting to poke, though the brown residuals from last year need better tidying. My hyacinth bulbs did grow back, but look kind of sad. I'll see if I can find a few pots already sprouted to add and maybe next year the area around the mail box will look a bit more vibrant. Despite the mild winter, it's felt like a long  cold spring. I don't want to rush seasons or life, but getting to green and color popping up are welcome sights. 

The hosta sprouts on this growth seem to really be spreading. Maybe I'll be able to start splitting them to cover more area around the house and yard. 



Comments

  1. I really like your opening acknowledgment of focusing on the small pleasures and joys of your week. I confess I had to refresh my memory on what Thumper said: oh yes! Sadly, too easy for folks to say insensitive (to put it mildly) things and, increasingly, to be surprised that their words hurt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to see anything good, even when I'm not feeling it. People are pretty clueless in general, but moreso if they feel that would handle things differently.

      Delete
  2. It's always nice to look back through the week & see that the wins are there, if you are trying to find them! Love that you get so much family time (Hawaii Planner)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a lot of family time, but to be honest, I'd like my kids to have busy lives outside of work and my house/ me.

      Delete
  3. What a great post - and I hear you about people and their words . It hurts . I am avoiding the people who have said some really awful things to me since Tony died - not that I think they meant to hurt me , but they don’t *get* it, and I don’t have time to explain !

    You week sounds full -and a balance - I always feel better when I can help someone else - this week or was taking my 84 year old neighbour for her cataract surgery ( and bringing her home again !) . She is divorced and lives alone so I wanted to help

    And time spent with pets is always time well spent - and Milo our gorgeous cat would agree

    Love the shoots appearing in your garden - I don’t have much luck with hostas as my garden is a favourite with slugs , but the spring flowers are here and the grass is growing swiftly with all the rain

    I am really enjoying reading your posts and hearing about you days

    Siobhan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even blog commenters sometimes really leave a bit of sour, and I don't think the person is even aware of how the words read back to me. It's ok people to not comment. I've chose to ignore most that hit there, but I have deleted too. I'm helping a few people this week, plus getting some help. Full circle. It's tiring though, isn't it Siobhan, juggling what we never thought we'd need to, by ourselves.

      Delete
  4. I fear I have missed the opportunity to plant anything here outside. Spring was last month and I have no ground prepped for a garden and don't want to bother Hubs with that request as he is trying to keep up with grass mowing(5 acres). I just found my morning glory seeds I have harvested over the years 2 days before we left for the cruise so I might give those a go. At least we'll have flowers. 8-) Life just seems to pick up speed as you age.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I have some luck with a few veggies. We'll mow this week for the first time.

      Delete
  5. Life is the small things - because they really are the big things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The magic of ordinary days, that movie title stuck with me. I've not found magic yet, but that's ok. Glimpses of joy is a start.

      Delete
  6. We keep our flannel sheets on year round. They are so comfy. Our hosta's growth are a little ahead, I would put a picture if I could.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To me, they're just too warm in spring and summer. I need to feel crisp, not warm when I sleep after being out in heat.

      Delete
  7. I keep my sheets on year round and use a thick wool blanket with my bedspread. Hostas spread so easily. I think they recover well and seem to spread even more when they are divided. I just read an article on the internet about what to NOT say to a person after a death. Hopefully, those people will not talk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People need to think about what they say and write.

      Delete
  8. I love how you focus on the positives and look for the light in your days.
    I think hyacinths need to be lifted after flowering, dried out and replanted in the Autumn, I didn't bother last year and mine were a bit sad looking, too. xxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

If you comment anonymously, it'd be nice to have a name to go with the comment. It helps me string other people's comments and therefore their experiences together.

Popular posts from this blog

Testing the Waters

Floundering Financially

On Having Things to Look Forward To