More Life Stuff

    I get caught up in my own issues, stress, glimpses of happy, I too forget life is going on for everyone. 

     We had, still have a scare with a younger adult member of the family. He ended up hospitalized with some sort of small intestine infection, was sent home multiple times as "just a bug"  from Sunday to Wednesday when finally admitted. I don't  know so won't go into details, but the early news was so scary, and regardless, he's got a long road of healing ahead. 

     My good friends, hubs best friend, went on a cruise the last full week of March. It was their first long vacation without their beloved dogs, having lost one two summers ago, and the younger in the fall. They had a good time, but while gone, her daughter delivered her baby three weeks early and she missed her first grandchild's birth. Baby and mom are doing well, but she's sad, and so's her daughter over the missed shared experience. I know they'll have many more experiences to share, and grandparents aren't always around for many reasons. I still feel for them both. 

      I met my recently retired colleague Thursday night for dinner. I miss working with her but she's not turning back- loves retirement. More nudging to make the move sooner. Her son's getting divorced, after just 6 years of marriage and only 33. A Covid marriage casualty she presumed. He's trying to keep the house alone so working a second job on top of his already grueling work days as a care home administrator. She shared that two other youngish women lost their husbands in the last 6 months, very similar circumstances, right before or right after retirement. I hurt for them as I know the heartache and all the paperwork nightmares on top of the grief they'll face.

     My son's been researching, making contacts, and doing his own life admin. I feel for him trying to build a social network too as he's not lived here since 18 and old friends are no longer in the area. He's close with a few cousins, so with them and their friends, hopefully he gets out a bit. My younger daughter is starting a recreational soccer club this weekend, definitely out of her comfort zone since she doesn't know anyone on the team. My older daughter has a few friends near, but not many, but keeps busy running, working out, and her yoga classes; of course grandpup too.  She just ordered seeds for her herb and zen garden area of her yard. I think we all are looking forward to some sort of summer gardening. Perhaps need to be summer gardeners is even an appropriate description. 

     And there's back to me. Thursday I officially filed the property transfer paperwork to move the house under my name alone as the surviving owner. It has to be done within three years, so didn't have urgency. But, with the fence, and other projects, utilities, etc. needing to be under my name, I figured it was time. I shed a few tears in the car. I also dropped off and paid for the fence permit Thursday and had it emailed back, with receipt, by Friday afternoon. I'm learning to be strong, just get things done and process after.

       Wednesday the tree guy gave me an estimate I couldn't refuse. Friday they arrived at 5:00 p.m. and by 5:45 he and his crew had trimmed four spruce, removed a errant ash tree, including the stump, ground two stumps in back, and one in the front. All limbs and debris were hauled away. It was amazing. I think of all the labor when my husband took down the tree in the front, plus my neighbors last summer with the lower spruce branches. DIY is sometimes just not the better route, but who knew this would be so affordable and fast?

     Restarting life after death, moving, graduating, divorce, financial setback, or any other jolt isn't easy. I just want us all to be ok. We will be, but dang, life takes a lot out of me some weeks.  

Comments

  1. You are finding strength and resolve when you need it. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You said a mouthful: "Restarting life after death, moving, graduating, divorce, financial setback, or any other jolt isn't easy." But, as you noted right out of the gate, life does indeed keep going on. Many hugs, Sam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't seem right to keep living the same way, but it's what I've got. I hope my kids can do better at " keep going."

      Delete
  3. Sending hugs! You will be ok, but you are right, sometimes life is hard.
    Hope your family member heals quickly. Hope your children find their joys too; sounds like they are keeping busy with soccer and friends and exercise and pets. Glad you were able to get the trees cut and cleared so quickly, and I'm glad the cost was less than you were expecting too. I've got the gardening bug too, and I hope we all have a good gardening season. Your patio and fence will be so nice. Wishing you a peaceful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep thinking of all the other things I can move forward because of the tree savings - but really, I just need to keep that money banked as something else is bound to come up.

      Delete
  4. Such an insightful post! I am so glad that you decided to keep on blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad the tree process has begun, but I'm sure it's overwhelming to be handling standard day to day life tasks while you are processing grief. Context switching between those two things is really challenging, so give yourself grace. Her situation is quite different (a divorce, not a death), but if you don't read the blog The Frugal Girl, she talks a lot about handling her grief after her marriage ended. In case useful.
    -Hawaii Planner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy Frugal Girls posts. She's doing so well moving her life forward. I'm rooting for her and will celebrate her graduation as a nurse.

      Delete
  6. I agree, we get caught up in our own busy lives to notice some of the things going on around us in others. So sorry to hear of the loss of your husband even though a little time has past. Good Gracious, I'll have to read back to see what you've been up too, it's been a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a sad past 14 now nearly 15 months. It's not real some days.

      Delete
  7. I am glad the tree removal was affordable. I know removing one tree here is in the thousands. I know when my brother dropped dead with a heart attack, I wondered how people could keep going about their days like nothing happened to me. In 2001, my best friend died along with my brother, and 911 happened. It was such a stressful year, but not as bad as your last year. Did you have the big tree removed, the one that grass won't grow under it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a hard time for you followed by national pain. Four spruce and a maple got trimmed - those are where grass wouldn't grow, but hopefully now will. The removed tree was an ash that didn't belong in the yard at all.

      Delete
  8. (((((Sam))))) You need a great big hug.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sending hugs as it sounds like you could use a few. It sounds like a lot going on. It also sounds as though you're trying to be strong for everyone, but make sure you take time for yourself and hopefully you have friends to lean on. Take care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have friends and sisters. My kids are just in a rocky place- all three, worse in any given day, better on others. I'm just tired.

      Delete
  10. Sending positive feelings and tons of virtual hugs your way. I cannot even imagine how hard this is for you but, you've got this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. HUGS sweetie... life rolls on no matter what

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

If you comment anonymously, it'd be nice to have a name to go with the comment. It helps me string other people's comments and therefore their experiences together.

Popular posts from this blog

Testing the Waters

Floundering Financially

On Having Things to Look Forward To