Meal Options on a Budget

      Before grocery shopping, I thought about meals for the week. I seem to be thinking of Monday- Sunday as the week, which I guess, since work week starts, that makes sense. This was a list to drive grocery shopping and may or may not happen this week, but rolled into next or even the follow week. Some ideas are based on use it up items. I'm sort of cascading as well, building a few meals off similar or same ingredients. Assume all will have a fruit, vegetable or salad with unless heavily featured in the main dish.

  • Potato cheese soup and egg salad sandwiches
  • Egg bake with cheddar and veggies
  • Breakfast for dinner-sausage gravy, eggs and biscuits
  • Homemade pizza with sausage and peppers
  • Goulash 
  • Hamburgers and homemade French fries
  • Cottage pie
  • Tacos with rice and beans
  • Stuffed peppers
  • Tuna hotdish
  • Sweet and sour chicken and stir fried vegetables with rice
  • Tortellini Alfredo (son grabbed some frozen muscles and per his request, I'll set some Alfredo sauce aside for him to enjoy those.) 
  • Chicken stuffing bake and mashed potatoes 
  • Fish, Aug gratin potatoes 
  • Pasta prima vera 
  • Lentil dal
  • Pork roast and potatoes
  • Pulled pork sandwiches and baked beans
  • Pork fried rice with pot stickers and egg rolls
  • Corn bread taco bake
     Hopefully most will provide lunch the next day. We'll supplement with sandwich and salad items along with fruit and yogurt. I'll keep making muffins every 3 days or so for snacks and breakfasts, along with crudites, hummus, bagels, and other grab and go items. As I've said, my son is a big eater, but very lean. I think I did quite well at the grocery store. Not buying junk food, he doesn't eat it and I don't need it, and very few convenience food helps. We'll need top offs to supplement fresh food, fruit, and vegetables and more proteins by the end of the month, but I'm hoping to be strategic and not add another big shop. I found one recipe to try since I have a few Jiffy corn bread mixes and precooked taco meat. 

     The goal is to stay within $400 for food, with up to another $75 for household non-food item.
While we'll share costs, I want him to be able to save as much money as possible. I will shop loss leaders if convenient, but for the most part, not doing multiple store shopping as I just find that too stressful at the moment. I'm curious what others with two adults spend on groceries, providing three meals a day, and few meals out? 



Comments

  1. We spent ~$740 on groceries for four, including two teens. I've been trying to hold things steady, as I'm no longer getting free meals/snacks/drinks at work. Generally, we're doing well. We've especially done well on not eating out as a family. I've done a few networking coffees/lunches, as part of my work departure, but that's pretty much wrapped up.

    I do find that, now that I have more time, I don't mind stopping by the store & picking up the on sale items here & there. It's less of a hassle/inconvenience.
    (Hawaii Planner)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With having someone to join me both in cooking and the meal, I m not tempted to pick up expensive take out. I'll treat us occasionally ( or he will) but again, I'd rather him save his money.

      Delete
  2. Great goal - you can do it. The menu sounds great to me. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it seems realistic. His appetite is huge though. I'm not having the amount of leftovers so will need to figure out more bulking up.

      Delete
  3. We spend around 250.00 on our local meat bundles and they last about 3-4 months. Local eggs are anywhere from free to 3.00 a dozen and we go through 4 a month. In the summer it is about 100.00 a month at the farmers market and in the winter it is about the same for fruits/veg/dairy at the store. Maybe a little more. My pantry is full but I do buy when I find a great deal on something we regularly use. All in all we spend about 550.00 a month for all of our food, stocking up and household items for the two of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, so I'm generally in your range. I may buy a meat bundle if at a good price.

      Delete
  4. Well done for organising and doing this . You have some fab recipe and dish ideas - my eating is very poor still ( a tub of Pringles for supper ? ) but I need to follow your example - and I am sure eating well will help with your preparation and recovery from surgery
    Siobhan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me, I'd eat the Pringles if I bought them. I agree that losing a bit of weight and just being healthier should help me longer term and post surgery.

      Delete
  5. Love your goal! I have been tracking our groceries for the last several years; lost part of 2023 due to medical issues, but back on track for 2024. 2 adults: we averaged about $227/month first quarter 2024, most of that food. We do eat meat, albeit not a lot; we also have no food allergies to work around (which can impact costs). Eating out? (We almost never eat out. I am really immuno-compromised and ever since mid-March 2020 and the start of Covid, we pretty much gave it up. And did not do very much before then, frankly; just not our thing. Our most eating out expenses come when in Rochester MN for Mayo, and even then we come in pretty lean!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is amazingly low! I need to model some of your habits in the kitchen.

      Delete
  6. I know you have long exhausting workdays. One of the things I do to motivate healthy meals at home? I have a "protein cooking" weekend. I cook up 3-4 # of ground beef/Italian sausage, 3-4" of ground beef/turkey and taco spice it, slow roast 2 chuck roasts and shred and 2 pork shoulders get smoked and shredded. All of this is frozen in ziploc bags. Grilling chicken/fish is quick and easy as well as no mess so that's done fresh. I will also make 6 quarts of chili and freeze in meal for 2 portions.

    Your menu sounds YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  7. When my ex was over last year we somehow got talking about the cost of groceries and he told me they spent around $200/week for two people. Seemed pretty high to me but then you can't compare apples to oranges. Mind you, he always was ridiculous when it came to money! When we had the kids still living at home I used to spend around €250/week. He went out one time, took the kids with him and had THREE CARTS and spent €550!!!! Then yelled when he couldn't find place to store it all! This is quite an expensive region where I live and as with the States I'm sure prices vary tremendously. Just having a meal plan is great though, and I'm sure you'll stick to it (more or less, right?)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see why it might cost that much if they bought pricey meat, cheese and not shop at discount stores. Our local grocery store is at least 30% higher. Meal planning is definitely more or less but not exact.

      Delete
  8. We are around the same for just the two of us. I try to cook at home as much as I can because I do enjoy going out to eat and there’s always room in my budget for lunch dates, bakery runs, dinner with the girls and anything my daughter wants lol. Your menu sounds delicious to me. I made a chipotle-inspired chicken rice and beans dish yesterday with planned overs for today and it was a hit! JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just tracked my spending in March and for 2 adults was $586. This includes non-food items for the household as well (personal care, cleaning supplies). We only ate out once, at fast food, for $22. I budget $600 a month, so I was right in the ballpark.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

If you comment anonymously, it'd be nice to have a name to go with the comment. It helps me string other people's comments and therefore their experiences together.

Popular posts from this blog

Testing the Waters

Floundering Financially

On Having Things to Look Forward To