Leaning into Retirement Details

     

Planning for calm waters and smooth sailing ahead. 

     So many of you have interesting retirement post headers. Mines just boring, but descriptive. I've been learning things with my poking, emailing, and looking things up. I'm signing up for a two day retirement seminar through my work held in May. It's highly suggested to do this if you're within five years of retirement. Some information will be remedial as I've been in a planning to plan phase since before my husband died while figuring out his timing. I'm hoping that seminar closes the loop on any unanswered questions I still have. I'll start this summer working with financial planning guidance, the timing on drawing down my other retirement pots. 

     Based on what I learned, the best financial move (other than to keep working, but that's not the point) is to set July 8, 2025 as my official retirement date. There's a variety of reasons for this date. 

  • I'll be past 59 1/2 so no penalty for tapping into my 401K.
  • Stretching to July 8 gives me two more paid holidays before retirement than doing so at the end of May.
  • It also gives me another month of health insurance for myself and daughter, since it'll be through an additional pay period end, should she not have her own yet by then. This is a massive out of pocket savings.
  • Contract negotiations, should there be a pay increase, salary change would start July 1. This brings my high five a bit higher and adds a few dollars each month to my pension, which I'll be deferring until I turn 66. I learned there's no financial gain extending past the full retirement age like there may be with social security.
  • This also changes, slight increase, the accrual balance payout that would get converted to my Health Savings Account (HSA).
     On the non-fiscal side, using a July retirement date provides me an "ease into retirement" without a full summer of nothing on the calendar. That might sound weird, but from learning from others, too much time all at once when others are still working could be a hard adjustment. Waiting until July  should feel more like extended vacation. I typically take both time off in July and usually two weeks in August so it seems like this will be a good timing transition. 

     Once I make it official, on the record, I'll start doing more concrete planning with work colleagues. While tentative dates have floated, likely I'll say nothing official until after the new year.

     There's side gig actions I'll want to figure out as well.The point of retiring early is to have more time to call my own, for hobbies, family, friends, and pets. I don't want to just change jobs, but being selective with what I do and how much I do. Earning a bit of retirement supplemental income is another ease into retirement strategy, while stretching my cash flow until my pension starts. 
  • Reinstating my teacher license for substitute teaching.
  • Post retirement, register as a vendor with my employer to be able to take on limited contracted work. Technically I can also be hired back for up to 45 work days as a retiree with no impact on my retirement status. I'll explore both options as no doubt there will be opportunities. 
  • Update my resume. Once retired, I will float it out to organizations I'd be interested in for short term project work. I've already been approached as to if and when I might consider this. This includes a few national organizations. I'm particularly interested in maybe combining earning opportunities with travel. 
  • To self employment, learn how I both include self employed income and business expenses, on taxes. This will be entirely foreign territory to me, so that research and planning will keep me busy in the early months of retirement. 
  • Double check maximum earning before other passive income streams are impacted. 
     That's where I'm at or where I'll be at in my planning. I've no doubt I can fill my days, but taking advice from so many who've made the retirement leap before me, I want a plan not just for money but meaningful time. 

Comments

  1. I like the thinking about additional streams of income: independent contractor work and (or) short term projects can be engaging (intellectually) and, as noted, give you additional dollars. And you're not committed to anything beyond the project, which is the icing on the cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the mindset I have. I pick which projects and when. Of course that might mean very few, but that's ok.

      Delete
  2. Additional streams of income will be good for your income flow. You can also resell items too that you pick up at various places like yard sales and thrifts. It must feel good to have a date set. I wish you the very best in the next year until your retirement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wrote about doing that with my girls a few months ago but we haven't done much of anything. Maybe that would be both hobbies and fun money.

      Delete
  3. It's a different world to mine but I wish you all the luck in the world! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. UK and US certainly approach health care access, insurance, and retirement differently. I'd love to absorb more of your mindset and free up my overthinking everything and live better in the moments.

      Delete
  4. Taking the retirement seminar sounds like it will be good info. You might pick up some tidbits you hadn't thought of or didn't know about. This next year+ will go by fast, I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know there's questions I haven't even thought of. I hope it goes by with good things in it- not just fast.

      Delete
  5. I love all this! I definitely can see you being self employed and working on your own time. T'Pol - Frugal @ Istanbul did some post retirement work which brought her fulfilment and she did it on her own terms as best as she could, I see the same for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll see more options as time gets closer. Since spending my days without my husband changed what I thought life would be like after retiring, I need to fill days differently.

      Delete
  6. You have got great ideas here
    Another bonus I think to retiring in the summer is that you still have longer, warmer brighter days before winter approaches

    I could have opted to do private work , but when I retired early I decided to end my professional registration- 6 years have passed and I wouldn’t consider working again now
    The workshop in May sounds interesting too - I hope you are able to answer some of the questions that you have
    Siobhan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I'll have so many more questions. I need to have money and time to do at least a few things we had planned together. Maybe that's the way I'll approach extra work, with some specific intent to the dollars. You've been such a good friend to bounce things off.

      Delete
  7. I like how you're thinking of the additional income streams. I just applied to a job today that would be very flexible, fun to do & would pay *okay*, but at an hourly rate & very Seasonal. No clue if I'll get a call about it, but I like the idea of getting to choose what I can do, vs having a big & formal career. That flexibility sounds priceless right now. A little money for spending & splurging, but also the time to just pursue what I want, if that makes sense. (Hawaii Planner)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited for your opportunity. Wishing you the best of luck. Hopefully you can build a new career that fits your family and time with M better.

      Delete
  8. I was a little concerned when I decided to retire earlier than planned in a fit of pique as my income took a nosedive compared to my salary, so I set myself up at home to do editing work at home. There's quite the call for it here, particularly in English, but while it pays well I found that they tended to drop work on you at 6 pm and want it back by 8 am the next morning. I did that when my oldest was born and would stay up half the night to get it done. In the end I decided not to bother and found I didn't need the money anyway! One thing my friend did tell me though was that you'll initially set yourself up with so many hobbies/courses that you'll end up resenting it. And she was right. Covid put paid to my "five days a week" agenda and I was so glad when I dropped back down to just one day. Now I love my freedom, am so busy I never know if I'm up or down (although admittedly I do end up parked on my sofa quite a bit) and you couldn't pay me enough money to go back to work! You're wise to be checking it all out though, and setting yourself up for extra income if the work interests you and/or you would like some extra income. I can't wait to see where this new journey will take you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see over scheduling just as problematic with hobbies and then, like you said, resent it. My MIL is finally taking some things off her schedule, but some of course is because some peers and friends no longer can do them. She almost complained about her schedule, like she wasn't the one to choose the activities. I think sofa's have a spot in retirement too. I like the idea of just taking the day for whatever might come and wherever it might lead to.

      Delete
  9. check with your tax person, you take on jobs after retirement you have to pay taxes on it and some states require it to be set up so you pay ahead. We just got hit with penalty for not paying enough taxes to IRS when the business closed. SO please talk to your tax person before taking on any work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have more to learn this year for sure. I had quite a lesson when taxes didn't turn out how I thought because of interest earnings after I put some life insurance in CDs and left it there, which is why I changed my withholding for this year so drastically. That's the thing- I'll likely lose as much as 50% of any extra income in taxes if I don't plan right, so I better really want the activity or be prepared in different ways.

      Delete

Post a Comment

If you comment anonymously, it'd be nice to have a name to go with the comment. It helps me string other people's comments and therefore their experiences together.

Popular posts from this blog

Testing the Waters

Floundering Financially

On Having Things to Look Forward To