Fence and Back Yard Plans

      I got confirmation for the property survey prior to the fence posts going in- they'll come sometime before May 3. I need to get tree trimmers scheduled to cut my pine branches to have at least 8 feet clearance. Plus, there's a tree we did not plant in the corner of the yard that just needs to go. I need tree people who'll haul away the branches as having that much piled up in the middle of the yard will be just a mess. I don't mind if the tree gets cut up in logs to keep but would prefer it go too. I have no idea how much it'll cost, but I'm budgeting a lot. It needed done even without getting the fence put in. My neighbors were great last summer doing the lower branches, but all needed to be cut higher and it's just not safe without the right equipment.

     I got on the fence schedule for posts May 9, but if based on clearing needs to be delayed I can request that. This starts a process of putting in the posts, then up to four weeks later, they put in the gates and fence panels. By mid June at the latest I should have my yard fenced. We can be working on the rocks, simple  garden beds, and getting grass to grow  while this process plays out. We need to either move the fire ring or just get rid of it. I'd like a chiminea style fire place near the patio instead anyway. I'm getting ahead of myself. I still need to follow up with patio guy on the railing, more important for me with my pending knee replacement. I'm hoping I can spend much of my recovery time outside. 

   


       Last summer I bought two of these planter boxes. They need to get built. My plan has been to use as sort of a liner to the short, stair side of the patio. I'm not sure now but can play with placement before soil and plants go in. Speaking of that, I had thought I'd use them for flowers or flowering plants, but might use them for vegetables. I still have time to decide. I've never been a gardener, but I think I can handle a few garden planters. Maybe? Eating a few extra fresh veg from right outside my door sounds good to me. 

     My youngest wants to build a raised bed and tackle a little gardening herself here. She almost should get going on that soon so she has time. I think she may have more aspirations than implementation, but can certainly help with the planter boxes. I might actually have the start of my personal retreat before too long. 


Comments

  1. Sounds good to me, just make sure you can actually get to the boxes while recovering from surgery

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point. Someone may have to help me harvest.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like it's going to be a great space for you!I have three beds that are very similar, but ours are in wheels, which is helpful when they need to be shuffled around. - Hawaii Planner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be smart- might be able to put wheels on them. Until built, I can't get a vision for the real true size.

      Delete
  3. Jre that sounds great. One of my terrible neglected area is my back yard and deck area also. I had a bunch of tree work done about three weeks ago, not cheap but the crew was great (except for one ?) and cleaned up everything wonderfully and ground the stump . I have other areas with old stumps still there. I wish I’d spent more money before ha! And done things right. I still have two sucker trees I thought they were going to take down but didn’t so I have call them and I hate any confrontation. Two days before the tree company came a huge tree fell during a wind storm and I don’t know how but just landed on the side of my house. About two days before that I thought it looked like it was splitting a bit and I was going to show it to them when they came to do the other contracted tree work. This tree could have hit over a crib in one bedroom or toddler bed in another!! Im going to be much better about this! I will say the tree company didn’t mention that tree looked bad when they came out for their bid the week before but I didn’t direct them near. I had saw it looked different, splitting a little but they did take the fallen part and the other two sections left standing. (Another 1,000.00). They were shocked how it missed the house. Now I’m keeping my eyes out for other hazards my one daughter had one tree done that cost over 3,000. But it was huge. They needed the area to widen the driveway, 5 oldest kids got their license, 7 drivers plus to fit in driveway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See my update - I found a reasonable tree guy that is set for Friday. I was amazed at his prices. I'll probably add to the project next year.

      Delete
  4. Your plans sound great - and I love the idea of your garden being a personal retreat , both for your recovery from surgery and for your post work life
    Siobhan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope my execution is better than other things I have tried to tackled. I need more outside time too and with dogs this will be so much easier.

      Delete
  5. This all sounds exciting. When people put wooden fences around their yards which were next to mine, I sort of felt hemmed in and out of touch. But, I grew to love the fences since I could put my plants, flowers and rocks with the fence as a background. My yard was not lost in their weedy yards. Each element I put in my yard looked special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The front and sides will still be wide open. I'm looking forward to privacy yet still have park access.

      Delete
  6. Sam - I'm having full knee replacement next Tuesday.... Keep ya posted!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those planters would be ideal for some cut and come again salad leaves! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eating a fresh picked salad would be great! I've got my thoughts on cucumbers too.

      Delete
  8. I have raised beds but one of the problems I had was being able to lug huge bags of soil up to them. They are so heavy! I now have my gardener dump the cut grass in a pile, which melts down to sludge eventually, and I dump that in the raised bed. I'm sure I'm not doing it properly but so far it works for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a corner I think I'll keep using for compost. I got nice thick nutrient black stuff from the pile my husband had.

      Delete
  9. Sounds like you have wonderful plans for your yard. I would use the boxes for herbs and veggies and a few flowers like marigolds. Especially different lettuces, radishes, etc. I suggest if you don't have a wheel barrel you get one to take bags of soil to them. Those things get heavy quickly. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a couple. Tools aren't my issue -Im my issue.

      Delete

Post a Comment

If you comment anonymously, it'd be nice to have a name to go with the comment. It helps me string other people's comments and therefore their experiences together.

Popular posts from this blog

Testing the Waters

Floundering Financially

On Having Things to Look Forward To