Dinner Lately and Ahead

      I'm attempting to manage our grocery budget while filling up a healthy man with a good appetite and continue eating for my health, weight loss (slowwww and hopefully steady), and both of our enjoyment. Neither of us are opposed to adding beans and rice to the menu, but not exclusively. Here's what we ate this past week.

  • Sunday- Chickpea and vegetable masala, basmati rice, naan
  • Monday- Baked Italian boneless skinless chicken thighs, twice baked potatoes, cabbage salad with extra cucumbers and carrots
  • Tuesday - Homemade version of Chipotle with beef tacos, cilantro rice, refried beans, potato ole's ( I know, mixed restaurant dupes) 
  • Wednesday- Spaghetti and sauce with onions, peppers, and mushrooms 
  • Thursday- I joined my friend, son had salmon, broccoli and baked potato 
  • Friday- Pork roast, mashed potatoes, and beans 
  • Saturday- leftovers during the day as hungry, went to my sister's for cards, hanging and she had a sloppy joe and other food spread 
     Groceries bought since last Saturday were minimal, mostly fresh produce and dairy, French rolls for the pork, and five thin pork chops for the freezer ( the limit) at 99¢ each. If I pass by, might get another 5 thinking ahead to grilling weather and the lake. My daughter also picked up a few Trader Joe staples for me which I reimbursed her for. Here's what I think might be the plan for the week ahead, days not specific.
  • Dal with rice and palak Paneer 
  • Hamburgers and homemade French fries
  • Cottage pie with biscuits 
  • Tortellini Alfredo, with muscles for my son 
  • Sausage, cheese, and spinach egg bake
  • Taco corn bread bake with corn 
  • Salmon or tuna cakes, rice pilaf with mixed vegetables 
  • Goulash 
     This gets us through the 20th, but might be able to stretch another week of dinners with just minimal shopping of fresh foods and a few recipe specific items. After I ran to Menards, I  topped of fresh vegetables and fruit, a bit more dairy items and deli turkey. To keep my budget goals, I want to stay under $80 for the rest of the month, doable as freezer and pantry are full and should again only be a couple stops for fresh items. When I know my son is home for lunch, I'll try to portion a hearty lunch of leftovers for him the night before. If he's heading out for a job or planning, he's likely eat a big breakfast usually with eggs, so hopefully will bring a sandwich and fruit along. He'll be avoiding meals out too, but depending where he is, that might not be realistic long term or as weather gets warm. 

     I'm really trying to watch my portion control and snacking.  I'm more likely to intermittent fast, but not with real intention, just how my days seem to work as I don't like to eat early, and just combining breakfast and lunch between 11-1, depending on meeting schedule seems to fit my needs. While no directives yet, I can imagine getting a pretty firm suggestion to drop some more weight leading up to knee surgery. My consult is Tuesday. That's what's probably going on in my kitchen this week. 

Comments

  1. Like you, I am really trying to watch my portion control (pretty decent at it most times) and snacking (major issue, and I tend to stress snack to boot). I like your meal planning; something I am lax at, being more the "hmmn, let's see what is in the fridge/freezer and see what I can come up with" approach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was doing more of that before my son moved back. Frankly I had peanut butter toast a lot for dinner.

      Delete
  2. I've had a lot of luck combining breakfast & lunch, since I started taking a slightly later workout class. (I don't like to eat beforehand). It's worked out well, and has definitely cut a few calories & gives me a bit more wiggle room for dinner. - Hawaii Planner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just need to be up a while before food tastes or feels good in my stomach. The snacking is a problem at night so need to really try there.

      Delete
  3. Yum, your meals sound good! Great job staying within the budget.
    Good luck with the knee consult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today's the day for the surgeon to look.

      Delete
  4. When I went to school an hour from home and tended to stay at school when meal was due, no matter what I took needed to be refrigerated for safety, I took a tiny cooler. The blue ice was always in the freezer. Then, when I worked an hour from home, I needed a meal. The tiny cooler was employed again. I hated in both instances to have to go to fast food. The effort was wearing on me.

    When I was in my house, snacking was a bit of chicken breast. Here, when I need a snack, it is different and I gained weight. Now, I cannot seem to keep weight on me, not that I need that either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a cooler will help him avoid take out.

      Delete
  5. I used to be a big breakfast person but now I usually go without it. I’ve been doing protein shakes or some combination of hard boiled eggs, cheese, yogurt, fruit and veggies for lunch. Dinners this week are inspired by Alison Havens on TikTok. She shops exclusively at Aldi, shows the items and posts the recipe, sticking to about $80 a week. I made her chicken gyro yesterday, phenomenal. Used leftover chicken to do her one pan garlic parm chicken pasta today. Pretty tasty. Tomorrow will be her steak with mushroom sauce but I’m subbing ground beef bc we don’t have steak money this week lol. Also on the menu, pesto stuffed chicken breast and zucchini roll ups. I will be stalking her account for next weeks meals as well! JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm nut much of a tiktok follower but might look ok her up. I like no steak money week- they're rare now aren't they?

      Delete
  6. Your meals all look great. Food has gotten expensive, so any savings sure helps. I used to be a meal planner, but lately I've let that fall by the wayside. I need to get back to it. I wake up hungry and need breakfast. Peanut butter toast is getting old! I hope your knee consult goes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the consult goes well too. I just mentioned I ate PB toast a lot before my son moved here.

      Delete
  7. I'm really trying to stay within a budget. It's not easy with the price of things. I find it a little easier in the summer as we tend to eat a lot of salads. For the guys usually with some meat item.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like everyone am doing a double take when I see prices. I'm really hoping I gave some success with growing a bit of food.

      Delete
  8. I was trying not to eat before noon and it was actually quite easy, despite breakfast being my favourite meal. I found the weight started to come off slowly and my belly started to deflate. Then another trip got in the way and I'm back at the starting line. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My belly fat is stubborn. I'm losing it slowly other places but dang if zippers and snaps/ buttons still feel restricting.

      Delete

Post a Comment

If you comment anonymously, it'd be nice to have a name to go with the comment. It helps me string other people's comments and therefore their experiences together.

Popular posts from this blog

Testing the Waters

Floundering Financially

On Having Things to Look Forward To