Booked a Get Away

     Back in January I was lamenting that I need things to look forward too. While February was busy with my cruise vacation and a couple other things, March got long and April seemingly the same. I don't need excitement, but I feel like I need to have positives anticipation, something to give me different perspective. (But, let's be clear, not in a punch in the gut way.) Someone familiar with my general area of Minnesota suggested maybe a road trip with my sister(s). The Leinenkugel Lodge was one suggestion. 

     Spur of the moment I reached out to the youngest of my sisters last Saturday morning, and all were on board. Mid May we're doing a short little road trip to tour the brewery, taste, and explore some other wineries and breweries in the area. We're staying at a Hampton Inn, so not fancy but also not bargain basement. Full breakfast is included and we got a suite so after our galavanting, we can come back and play cards or just relax, with some "souvenirs" from the stops. We can take our time in the morning and still be back by early afternoon. There's my big travel plans for spring, but honestly, I'm looking forward to it almost as much as I did my vacation in February. 

     I've been an email pen pal with sweet Siobhan, who sadly lost her spouse a few months after my husband died. She shared with me her beach get away, complete with a whimsical beach hut, with her daughter. I was so happy for her, as there seemed a bit of lightness as she described their holiday. That's what I want for her and me and others that need to figure out our later years alone. I want the joy of simple pleasures with people I love. Mini travels might be the right ticket for me. 

Comments

  1. When you visit we will have to have a beach hut day - it’s really magical - and thank you for being such a great friend to me as we navigate a life neither one of us would have wanted

    A few days away is great - and I think often more satisfying than a longer break . Your plans with your sisters will be great fun - and I hope you all really enjoy the time together . And you can all sing the Sisters song ……..

    Siobhan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's pretty funny- we're not singers but we do like music. They have been there for me and it should be a fun weekend.

      Delete
  2. I love this! Sounds like such a good time. I’m more than ready for a change of scenery. Our girls trip will be in August and we’re going to the beach in June :) JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds lovely!
    I think that all of us need something to look forward to, and I hope you have a wonderful time with your sisters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That will be fun for you. Nice to have a sibling get away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this for you. And I think you and Siobahn forging a friendship in the midst of your journeys is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do consider Sandy a friend - and take so much comfort in sharing out stories as she understands- the death of a life partner is bewildering
      Siobhan x

      Delete
    2. We have our nice emails, and hope to meet in person when I'm really mobile.

      Delete
  6. Love that you & Siobhan have become friends & are supporting each other. I also like mini vacations. We have quite a bit going on in the upcoming months, & I agree that it helps break things up & give you things to look forward to. Your trip sounds great! (Hawaii Planner)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've learned we have a lot in common. I hope she feels supported by me as I do by her. Yes, I need to keep planning things.

      Delete
  7. Its heartwarming that you and Siobhan have forged a wonderful friendship through the awful tragedy you've both endured. I'm delighted that you've allowing yourself to seek some joy and happiness, you totally deserve it. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I think Vix that I “ found” Sam through your blog - so thank you !
      Siobhan x

      Delete
    2. I think Siobhan is right. We both read your blog and loved your style, humor, and adventure. It's a small world in the blog world.

      Delete
  8. Oh, that sounds like a fun trip, Sam. I hope you and your sisters have the best time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think one of the hardest things to do when in the throes of grief is to give yourself permission to enjoy life. I am very happy for you that you are doing things that will make you happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to do anything and then be home without him. But, yes, I have to figure out how to live a good life still.

      Delete
  10. How lovely to have those few days away with your sisters to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I was the commenter (might have hit Anonymous) who mentioned the Leinenkugel tour and location even though I live on the East Coast:) So glad to hear that you are going there! Make sure that you and your sisters take pictures of each other sitting in the ginormous Leinie Loungers. They are a hoot. We found a decent ice cream place on the main drag in Chippewa Falls. I believe that we also saw a walking or hiking trail nearby. Have fun-looking forward to a future trip report!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good suggestion! Ice cream sounds good too but maybe not with the beer.

      Delete
  12. Sounds like fun! Savor the time and the trip!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have noticed that your laments had been less, which makes me happy for you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

If you comment anonymously, it'd be nice to have a name to go with the comment. It helps me string other people's comments and therefore their experiences together.

Popular posts from this blog

Testing the Waters

Floundering Financially

On Having Things to Look Forward To