Thrift and Such

     


     Lots of blogging lately for myself as it gives me a place to put thoughts and pretend I have order in my life. It's dull for you all I'm sure, but you're welcome to join in. First, not quite thrift, but I've come to terms with my new cash flow budget. I knew internally that I'd have a big tax bite either at the time due or through the year. The shock of the paycheck drop was rattling, but now I know the deal. I can plan when I know, right? 

     Thrift and Such may or may not be a weekly thing. I'm looking for some norming and blogging had been that for me in the past. I really like how Hawaii Plan does her Frugal Fridays in categories. If you don't mind, I'm borrowing her format. This is for the period of Thursday, March 21 to Wednesday, March 27, 2024.

Saving on Things We Buy

  • Found an online coupon to use tonight when I meet my husband's aunt. She'll like the savings too! 
  • I really thought I'd need to replace the keypad lock in front door. Replacing batteries didn't help. A referral to a local lock and key resulted in a repair to the timing mechanism, and he adjusted the door frame, which further was causing misalignment so the mechanism wasn't working. Bonus, he also got my patio door lock working smoother without the fight. He's just starting his business so only charged me the service call since he needed no equipment or parts. He was heck of a nice guy, ensuring my safety again in the house. He gifted a box of PB Girl Scout cookies too, just because, to his customers. 

Avoiding Spending 

  • I skipped the movie theater, saving $12, plus got the house cleaned while my daughter was gone. Totally free kitten and dog love too. 
  • The boat mechanic came under budget of what I was expecting, not by a lot  but everything helps. He got the steering mechanism to rights and other odds and ends tuneups and clean ups, and seemed generally excited about how well the boat will perform. The biggie spending avoidance was huge.  Since he was working on the full boat and had in the garage, he waved the storage and winterize fee, saving me over $600. He'll deliver the boat right to the lake early summer. He emailed me the invoice and I got a check in the mail immediately to help them avoid $53 in Credit Card fees. 

Earning Money

  • Hmmm, nothing here unless you count finding change in my own house while cleaning.

Eating (Using) What We Already Have This is tough as I've bought things to make pureed meals for my daughter, but I'm using up bits for me.

  • Found six homemade turkey meatballs that I used with sauce and pasta from pantry for two dinners for myself. 
  • Made mock spaghetti O's for my daughter, no chewing needed, with small ring pasta and tomato soup. She really liked it.
  • Avoided buying almond milk at the expensive store by using a shelf stable one I had in my pantry. My daughter actually prefers it so I switched to it for her oatmeal to save a bit of regular milk for the creamy soups and my coffee. 
  • Went to the box I put old shampoos, conditioners, and other partial but still usable goods, to supplement the shower supplies and bathroom cleaning products. Should be able to avoid restock until there's a sale on several items.

For Others 

  • Took care of kitten while daughter worked in office Tuesday and Wednesday. She will today as well.
  • Served as a reference for a former staff looking to get back in our organization after departing two years ago. It will be a good promotion for her and well deserved. 
  • Provided a few resources and possible talking points in coaching my nephew for his interview with an organization that I know quite well through partnership. This too would be a promotional type opportunity for him. 
  • Took extra bag and grabbed to get stray park garbage when pup and I went for our walk Saturday. 
     There's my week of thrift and other stuff.  There were lot's of non thrifty things, but such is life. All were necessities ( including for mental health), but I'll try to pinch a penny when I can. 

Comments

  1. Your locksmith was a good find and knowing you now feel safer in your home is worth so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was a talker, but that was good because he let me know exactly what he was tuning.

      Delete
  2. I am a faithful reader of Hawaii Plan’s Frugal Friday posts and look forward to seeing similar weekly posts from you as well. Your posts are NOT boring-I look forward to reading them with my morning cup of tea when they appear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's nice to hear. I write for me, but if others choose to read that's a comfort. Feels like talking to people.

      Delete
  3. This is a great way of breaking down a week and seeing where one's strengths and weaknesses may be when it comes to frugality. Thank you for the reference to "Hawaii Plan" - I will check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hawaii Plan has a really good blog. She's also a caring person, which is why I like her "for others".

      Delete
  4. I'm hoping your tax issues work out in your favor. We're retired and taking money from 401K (waiting on collecting SS) - my husband (and our financial planner) estimated how much to withhold (hoping to break even). Instead, we're getting a big refund (not sure what that says about my husband and our financial planner...).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed next March I won't have new woes.

      Delete
  5. Love that the format works for you, and I always enjoy reading what you have to say & missed your voice very much when you stopped blogging. So glad you're back.

    Love that you have a mechanic & a handy man that are fair & reasonable. Finding those folks is such a gift. (Hawaii Planner - comments still not working when "logged in")

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogging feels like talking to friends even if no one reads. I was lucky to find the house and boat help.

      Delete
  6. A good handyman or service type person who works with their hands is hard to come by these days. (Ask me how I know, especially if you are new to an area.) Treasure and Treat them well lest they find others to work for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I would so count finding change inside your own home! lol

      Delete
    2. Both were referrals from other businesses that were used by others, but couldn't handle more work. I was fortunate.

      Delete
  7. I love to find a handyman who does not charge an arm and a leg for work done. I may replace out plumber. I like him but not $600 to install commode. Tommy was facing big bucks for transmission work when I sort of forced him to go to my transmission man who only replaced a fuse while we waited and charged nothing. Tommy is sold and believes me now. I would go about singing his praises at work for your locksmith.

    How long does your daughter have to consume soft food?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'll refer him. Possibly to Monday, then she returns to see if healing is adequate.

      Delete
  8. I smiled a bit at the opening statement. I would ask my Uncle Ed what's happening in his life he always replied "Well, I lead a dull life" and then tell me his life which never sounded 'dull' to me as I wanted to know what he was doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess we all enjoy connecting with others even over the mundane.

      Delete
  9. Our taxes this year are nightmares, we have even gotten a bill for state tax from 2012...yes 2012 when we were in Ch 13 bankruptcy. SIGH. Then Daughter 4 got hit with a big tax bill from IRS from 2022... Must be tax year???? instead of just season??? SMILE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry. This is where I just don't understand the nickeling of people who clearly are not making money off money. I believe in fair taxation to support public good, but not hurting those on the edge.

      Delete
  10. Oh, your posts are always are interesting! Sounds like you've had a number of frugal wins. Being safer at home, anywhere really, is so important. I replaced a rickety old back door, that I felt even I could kick in (and I'm a wimp). You sure found valuable help with the locksmith and mechanic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I like your new format! I like it on Hawaii Plans blog too. I've been using up the shampoos and half bottles of conditioner here too. I even put some in the cleaning bottle for the bathroom. I figured it wouldn't hurt. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Testing the Waters

Floundering Financially

On Having Things to Look Forward To