More Blogging- Meal Ideas

   


     Longtime  blog friends might remember I blogged much more often before. I thought with this new space, I'd aim for twice a week. Some weeks it strikes me to whack away on the keyboard spouting nothingness more often. Often in sleepless nights or when I wake too early. This is one of those times. I've got a post noodling around about tightening my spending in March and April on the heals of vacation. Tightening means using up, even if my meals get repetitive and odd, the freezer and pantry stocks.

      I did a silly Sam's Club shop a week or so before leaving, had a crammed freezer, and ample shelf staples. Nothing orderly though for meal planning, but lots of food for a household of one human. I made a list of what all could be in the meal plan the coming weeks without heading into a store. Most will give me a second dinner and lunches, and I can freeze in portions for easy freezer assets or to send with my daughter's. 


  1. Baked macaroni and cheese with hamburger and tomato sauce
  2. Hamburger on a pretzel bun (found one lingering), waffle fries 
  3. Hamburger and cheese homemade pizza 
  4. Beef, cream cheese, and black bean burrito or burrito bowl, rice 
  5. Chicken tortellini Alfredo soup with spinach
  6. Chicken wild rice soup with beer bread
  7. Chicken and vegetable stir fry with rice
  8. Chicken leg from rotisserie chicken with rice, corn
  9. Chicken drumsticks with rice and carrots or peas ( two packs found)
  10. Sausage and gravy with biscuits, eggs and thawed frozen fruit 
  11. Turkey meatballs, stuffing, baked beans
  12. Spaghetti with veggie,garlic and herb sauce, homemade bread
    Above is with no shopping at all. I know it's a lot of chicken thanks to the rotisserie one bought at Sam's that I broke down and froze, including prepared broth, and a multi pack of legs bought the end of January. Plus, we stocked up on basmati rice. We buy in a 20 pound sack and divide in containers for each of our homes. I have several, one pound rolls, of other meats in the freezer. I'm stretching the canned, frozen, and fresh produce I have though, which isn't ideal. 
     
     Honestly, stopping at Kwik Trip for produce, milk, cheese, bread, and eggs, I think I could skip grocery shopping the rest of the month altogether. Pup will need his wet food by Friday and with cleaning, purging, packing, and donating, I may need some household supplies, and coffee will run out, so I can't avoid a regular store completely, but can be quick and lean with a list. That's my meal planning mind dump. Stay tuned for other stimulating keyboarding from when I can't sleep. 


Comments

  1. I find cooking for one really emotional . It’s a real reminder that Tony is gone and is not coming back . I admire your discipline in knowing what you have at home and using it . And your blog posts are never a mind dump …….
    Siobhan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figure it's one tiny thing I can control in my life. It helps me feel less emotional to know I'll send meals home with my girls. As for discipline, I hate shopping so stretching as far as possible is a help. You're too kind to say I'm not dumping nonsense.

      Delete
  2. You are really doing good using what you have. The meals sound wonderful. I didn't cook much for a long while when becoming one. Now I tend to cook or use those leftovers daily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Easier now since I had so much in the pantry and freezer. I hate grocery shopping so this helps me be fast and in and out when I have to.

      Delete
  3. Great meal plans and it is always nice to come home and not have to think about cooking too much. I need to get into plannning out more meals myself for me my mom and stepdad! I am doing a meatsauce today with some spaghetti!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's more list than plan. I don't want take out for one at dinner, that's truly depressing to me, and I hate shopping.

      Delete
  4. Nice to see your post, but I'm sorry you are having trouble sleeping sometimes.
    Your meals sound really good, and you are more creative than I am right now. Hopefully I will get back in the meal planning groove. There just haven't been any good sales at the grocery store which is how I used to get ideas for things to cook, going by what was on sale. I may pick up some whole chicken on sale for .99/lb this week to roast and turn into casseroles, but otherwise I have no ideas really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've struggled with sleep for years. Now, it's the same but my mind won't shut down some nights. Then I process in my brain. That's a good price on chicken.

      Delete
  5. Cooking for one is so different because there isn't anyone there to eat what you don't eat. I loved it when Mom was here because she would eat so many things. It was great. The meals you've planned sound really good, Sam. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My girls help with that, they don't turn down ready to heat and eat meals since their schedules are so busy. My sister's joining me tonight, though she's bringing a pizza. I have stuff to cobble a salad to go with it.

      Delete
  6. In my mind there is no such thing as too many chicken meals, but TheHub will disagree.
    Your menu plan sounds very good.
    I am trying to use things we have in the freezer or storage now also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind either if different meals.

      Delete
  7. Those meals all sound really good and good for you. You eat and can feed daughter. If my daughter were near, I would send food to her, too. This was not a mind dump and definitely not boring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like sending them home with meals, though the older daughter does meal prep successfully.

      Delete
  8. You write from the heart and are never boring, Sam. That's a very impressive menu considering you've not shopped. We've been eating what's in the house to run down our stocks before we go away, they're often the best kind of meals. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And tummy apparently. I've got some options this week and some for freezer for my few busy nights. Enjoy that trip. So glad you're feeling better.

      Delete
  9. Sorry you're having trouble sleeping. Your meals sound really good. It's always good to have a plan to use what you already have. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sleep issue is nothing new. It's more list than plan, but I've got some easy things prepped and in freezer for nights I truly feel blah.

      Delete
  10. That's a good list of possible meals. I do like mixing Mac n cheese with meat and tomato sauce but I've not baked it together. It sounds so good I need to try it! Sorry sleep doesn't come easily for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the crispiness baking gives the top. It's pure comfort food that I pretend is healthy.

      Delete

Post a Comment

If you comment anonymously, it'd be nice to have a name to go with the comment. It helps me string other people's comments and therefore their experiences together.

Popular posts from this blog

Testing the Waters

Floundering Financially

On Having Things to Look Forward To