Writing and Forgetting It

      I had a humdinger of a crabby post ready to go titled, On Not Suffering Fools. I decided it was enough to type out my frustrations on human stupidity, arrogance, selfishness, jealousy, and bigotry and then not hit publish. No one needs to read my spewing, but it sure helped me, to quote Taylor Swift, "shake it off." Well, I will say on that subject, the fools that hate on her, just because, probably cringed.  

          There's a reason journaling is used as part of therapy. Getting words down, coherently or incoherently, but without filters, can really free the head of noise to think more clearly later. Getting raw emotions out, then being able to forget the harsh, sad, or even mean words is a release. Do I always succeed? Nope. Sometimes I do type and publish in a post, a comment, an email, or a text or verbally say my thoughts without filter. I regret it sometimes, but not always. I really am at a point in life that I will not suffer fools, but that doesn't mean I like broadcasting my bad mood.

     My knee has been a right pain. I'd like to walk more than I do, but I find by a couple mile point, it's not just uncomfortable but throbbing. I have to be cautious what routes I take, not two miles out, but no more than two miles of a full walk. I'll take several in a day to get the needed exercise for me and for the dogs, and ice/ heat alternate in between. I get these in before I fully start my work day, an extended lunch, and now that it's staying lighter, after work. Walking is a non-paper, non- keyboard form of journaling as I compose verse and chapter in my head. I have conversations with the dogs. They haven't replied back, but are sure good audience to monologues. 

     I talk to my husband a lot on these walks too. Of course in the past, he'd try and offer solutions, fix things, or tell me what I should do when I was troubled. He often lacked context or offered impractical solutions, not fully grasping that I was just unloading, not asking for his help. I wasn't always thrilled with his approach; but damn, I miss it now. Learning how to navigate on my own is what I need him to help me with. 


     Today is Valentine's Day. Last year, my birth friends bought me flowers the day before and took me out for dinner. February 13 has been dubbed Galentine's Day in recent pop culture. I decided to buy myself some flowers this year and use the vase they gave me. It reminds me that I  have people that care about me. I'll only see them a few days before going on vacation, but my daughter will be here dog sitting and can enjoy while they look fresh. I love carnations in general, and these mini pink ones are adorable. 

     I need to run over to feed my sister's cats at some point. It's also ash Wednesday, so depending on the end to a late afternoon meeting, I am aiming for 4:30 church, then cats. If it doesn't work, I'll just do YouTube church as  my daughter and I are having dinner together so the 7:00 service doesn't work. I will throw the ingredients for dal, yet again, in the crock pot and we'll have it with basmati rice and steamed vegetables. 

     If you've read my meandering mind dump this far, thank you. I leave Saturday so not sure if I'll get a post up or not, or one next Wednesday. Would you have interest in a little ship cabin tour? I can link to many a YouTube video on whole ship tours of the one I'm sailing on, so won't subject you to more than a few photos. I hope your February 14th and whatever you participate in, or don't, is a good one. 

Comments

  1. You ramble all you want - it is very normal! Have a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Valentine's Day SAM!! Journaling is a wonderful way to get things out of your head. A few years after my Dad died I wrote a letter to him saying everything I felt I needed to say then I burned it a while later. It helped me get a bit of closure that I needed.
    I hope you have a wonderful vacation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a good way to get the closure you wanted.

      Delete
  3. Like Cheryl said, ramble all you want to, we are here to listen. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Belinda. I appreciate the kindness.

      Delete
  4. Hope you have a fabulous trip, and glad you have people to spend time with today. And, I'm with you. At times, it's so hard not to be frustrated by the people who are just so intentionally cruel to others. I don't understand, and it makes me angry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the full gammit of fools...I'm just so done. People are human and error of course, that's not what I mean. It's the intentionally or the continual lack of thought that has me over.

      Delete
  5. Ramble away. It's your life and your blog. Mental health is so important!

    We don't V-day, we love and appreciate every day. Your Feb 13 flowers and vase are beautiful :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never mind a named day. Yes, good to show love all the time, but the extra thoughts never hurt.

      Delete
  6. Have a wonderful trip and share your ramblings any time! Lynn Ewing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have a restful and relaxing trip and good on you for buying yourself flowers. 8-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan to treat myself every now and then.

      Delete
  8. I’m thinking of heading out early tomorrow for maybe 1/2 priced goodies for me. I guess that’s kind of sad but widowed on this day is too. I’m in a sad mood otherwise with adult kids and my daughter who’s in a fight with her daughters and they’ve come to me. She’s said mean things, I’m angry, stressed and just want love peace and harmony in my old age. Is that too much to ask??? Yes I guess. Is it weird at 70 I’d like to run away some days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sad at all! We all get to do any kindness to ourselves. 1/2 price treats for the win.

      Delete
  9. Happy Valentine's day! Love the flowers! You do have people that care about you and are thinking of you.
    I'm glad that writing things out helps, and I have done the conversations in my head. I have also quit reading some blogs since some seem like a train wreck waiting to happen.
    Safe travels and I hope you have a wonderful vacation. I would love to see any pics that you want to share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get in a pity mood too often. Writing and thinking helps nudge me back to some semblance of a new life.

      Delete
  10. So glad you sprung for flowers for yourself. Have a great trip and share pictures if you feel like it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're rambling is a lot more articulate than mine. I'd love a little tour of your cabin! Have a brilliant trip. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I also find writing down my rants helps with my frustration. I am not as restrained as you though. Sometimes I HAVE to broadcast my mood as it's important news! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've learned no one cares about my bad moods..non impact except on myself.

      Delete
  13. A good rant sometimes helps. I've said my raw thoughts on a couple of blogs recently, and I do regret that. I'm trying to let things go too. I write letters to my sister, tho usually just chatty stuff like we used to share. I hope you have a great vacation, and your knee copes well with whatever walking you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a bit worried my knee will let me down, but there's always the pools and hot tubs.

      Delete
  14. I find writing things down really helps clear my head, so why not? And it's often said that women just need to unload but men then think they need to offer solutions. Maybe it's a Men Are From Mars and Women are From Venus, kinda thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was a fixer in general. He didn't like to hear or see me distressed.

      Delete
  15. Have a great vacation. Sometimes, rambling is all there is.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Journaling, blogging, even just jotting down a quick thought on a post-it note is so helpful to me. I say if it helps and it doesn't hurt anyone else, do it! I learned a good trick from an artist whose YouTube channel I follow. Write down everything, vomit words on the page no matter how negative or ugly; then paint over it in black paint, draw some flowers, glue down some pictures, stickers, write down a recipe...whatever floats your boat. You will feel better for having gotten it out of your system and the replaced it with positive pretty things.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

If you comment anonymously, it'd be nice to have a name to go with the comment. It helps me string other people's comments and therefore their experiences together.

Popular posts from this blog

Testing the Waters

Floundering Financially

On Having Things to Look Forward To