Homebody

      I decided I really like my home and being there more than the great beyond. I like a vacation as much as the next person and getting out for dinner or a night with friends on occasion. I'm not turning into a shut in, and I like people visiting me as I get lonely with too much time by myself. I really appreciate though my home once I'm back when I've gone somewhere, vacation, out for dinner, or just the office for the day. It's nothing fancy, a modified late 1980's multi-level. Everything about the house was built with a purpose not design, at least for the time. I'm not sure if separate dining rooms are in or out of design style currently, but I like having both an eat in kitchen and a dining room. I could see a different family using the dining room more as a small family room since it leads to the back yard. Maybe they'd knock down the non load bearing wall between and having a much larger kitchen and island type set up. They'd lose the pantry, but I suppose gain storage in the island. 

     I don't have any remodeling plans, just basic home maintenance, and certainly won't be knocking any walls down. The biggest flaw of the house I guess would be no main floor bathroom, not even a powder room. People have to go up or downstairs. I guess eventually that might make my house ill suited for me,, but neither stairs are steep or that many. 

     I'm of two minds about putting in a backyard fence. I feel exposed living alone, but I also enjoy having a view of the park and openness. For resale value, I'd get most of the cost back at some point. A fenced yard would be nice for the dogs and to create a little outdoor oasis for myself. Minimally, I need to get the rock area redistributed, my planter boxes built and planted, a few shrubs, and loads of grass seed down early. These are the three-month plans.

Fire pit area at the back needs sprucing up and grass seed spread throughout whole yard.

This area of patio needs the rocks to be squared up. Gravel remnants from the cement needs raking, then more black dirt and grass seed or sod. My patio set and rug are stored in garage.

Big Project ahead: Squaring up along the back line and removing and redistributing surplus rocks. Grass seed or sod, pending other spring bills, needs to be put down to get yard back. I will add some shrubs in the rock area too. I'm getting handrails for the steps for safety.

     Inside, once purging is complete (an oxymoron in my case), most rooms need painting, and the bedrooms need carpeting replaced. The fireplace needs retiling.

Here's the new fireplace insert. I need to figure out tile design, but leaning towards something that looks like gray brick. See the repair smudges in corner?  More taping and mudding is needed. Then, the whole room needs a paint job. Color or no color? Decisions needed. 

     These are the plans with no definitive timeline. I'll do little sprucing up projects along the way. I'm keeping my eyes open for a couple nightstands, no need to be matching but need to be wood, as I'd like to tackle an up cycle project to make personal. My head board needs some TLC, replacing some brass and porcelain in the white rout iron, but I like it and don't want to replace. I don't want a matchy bedroom set. My dresser, actually, my husband's from his teen years, is a good piece I painted 20 years ago, but needs a refresh. I also could just repaint the single night stand and just look for one that would compliment the other side of the bed. Alternatively, the current stand might be repurposed as a small side table in the family room.

      After tapping out my vacation fund, I need to get through six months of high irregular expenses. Being a homebody suits me. If I'm home, I'm not spending extra money and I need to fill my sinking fund. I make regular deposits into it each month to have separate when expense comes due. My timing is just off a bit to start this year because of choices on the boat I've made, but will balance out by years end. 

     I'll have my daughter's dog a few upcoming weekends as she has plans. That suits me as well to have the added company and purpose. Playing with and walking the dogs, purging clutter, organizing and planning will fill my nights and weekends in March and April. It's been a year plus in my unplanned for life alone. My guess, this is how the rest of my life will play out. There will be changes and variations, but my home will be there to help cushion the falls and open wide to welcome in any joys that hopefully still come.

Comments

  1. Our home is small, definitely too small for the family of four that once all lived here. Life update-my son has moved out and now lives about 15 minutes away with his girlfriend and two dogs. And my daughter is still a full time student, away from here more often than not. I suppose I don’t love this house or hate it but I’m not willing to spend much money on upgrades. Walls definitely need painting, just waiting on decent weather to do so. Still always decluttering. Our yard is small and fenced in. We have a picnic table that needs stained or gotten rid of. After a few years of not having one, we will put up a backyard pool again this summer. I don’t need much more than a puddle to splash in, any amount of water and sunshine is good for my soul! I go out as much as I can, I would be much more social if I didn’t have a silly job to go to, it really cramps my style :/ B is home for spring break and we have lots of fun things planned, thrifting and bakeries, cooking, a trip to the upscale mall on the other side of the city, Penguins practice and/or game, Dave and Busters. I’m hoping this novella posts, I’ve been reading your blog but comments sometimes poof into cyber space once I hit publish. JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some weird reason, regular comments keep landing in spam. I forget to check. I'd say my house was "right size" for our family. I'm not fond of the really big houses where everyone spreads out so much you need to schedule calendars to see each other. When kids were here, TV was in family room so we gathered there, but yet they had own rooms for privacy, plus shared space, dining room living room, for doing homework or reading. Enjoy your time with your daughter.

      Delete
  2. There's no place like home!!! The park view is lovely, and the patio will be so nice with new grass and flowers. I think it would be relaxing with a hammock or swing too. I'm sure the new fireplace insert makes things cozy in winter, and look forward to seeing your new tile if you want to share. I'm glad that you are thinking of things that you want to do, and I wish you joy in the days to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once things get shaped up it will be nice. We do have a hammock. It gets taken down and stored, and I need to wash the actual hammock this spring. My daughter loves the hammock for reading.

      Delete
  3. My weekend home is 720 square feet (without the unfinished basement footage and I only venture to the basement during tornado sirens since an F4 hit two blocked from here in 2011.) My work house is 910 sq ft and I will sell it to neighbor when I finally retire from part time work. So the combined footage is less than 1800 sq ft and I need to purge the work house. I only fly about once a year to visit grandkids and maybe drive to beach from work and spend couple of hours there then drive back to work house. I usually just go swim in the summer on weekends at the local state park near weekend house for $2 and walk at my local parks or the neighborhood. I hate flying and I have come to accept the fact that other than day trips, I am a homebody since three of my kids and most of my cousins live within a couple of hours of me, in all different directions. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our first house was under 700 square foot, not including unfinished space. It was a cute little cottage, but obviously we outgrew with a toddler and baby a d have been here since. I will travel to explore and relax( like cruise) and see family and friends, but now I can't see myself living anywhere else.

      Delete
  4. We could use new carpet upstairs, but like you, have no definite timeline. And our yard can always use some work as well. I'm like you, I'm a homebody because if I am home I am not spending money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today, I just wanted to stay in bed completely. Lots of work to do, but no motivation. I did get a couple needed things ordered- house things. I think some days, other than walking dogs, I'd never need to leave.

      Delete
  5. I like to hear people say they love their homes. It's a good feeling knowing that all the time, hard work and money that goes into our homes pays us back with so much more. My house is my sanctuary that's why I enjoy being here so much. I used to love traveling but day or weekend trips are all I'm interested in right now. I have everything I need right here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a balance. I still want to travel, but want a quiet retreat to come back to.

      Delete
  6. I am really not sure about my house . My late husband adored it, and would never have sold . It’s a 200 year old quirky cottage - and because of its age it always needs something done . The positives are that I own it outright , the cat who owns me is very safe and comfortable here and as he is an older chap it doesn’t seem fair to move him, and my neighbours are more than neighbours - they are all great friends .
    The house feels very lonely without Tony - and that will be the reason in the end that I move
    Siobhan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dogs own me for sure. I'm sure someday the house will not be a good fit. But, it's been home for 33 years. You know the feelings. Starting anywhere new is overwhelming.

      Delete
  7. Good for you on these plans. I hope the visiting dog gives you good company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's more a part time roommate than visiting pet. He's a sweet boy.

      Delete
  8. I'm very happy in my home. But I will eventually move to be nearer to my sister, in Indiana, and that will be overwhelming. I understand staying in the house you've called home all these years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plus, there's so little available to buy in the type and size of home I'd be willing to move to. I'm fortunate that my family is mostly close.

      Delete
  9. I'm very much like you - love to travel but love to come home and hibernate too. I think if you love to read and enjoy your own home you truly have a gift. Oh and I don't have a downstairs loo either. There was one in this house originally but the former owners took it out when they moved the entrance door. I could put one back in the same spot - but then I could open the front door while sitting on the loo, so maybe not a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In hind sight, we should have put at least a powder room in when we finished the lower level. There's a little area that could have been carved out and plumbing out in without too much disruption to the floor plan, and I'm alignment with up and downstairs. We've seen some pretty horrible bathroom placements though.

      Delete
  10. I love your yard plans, especially the rails on steps for safety. I never appreciated my house more than when I came home. All it took was one torn meniscus for me to not go upstairs for nine months. Of course, hindsight is 20/20. Luckily, I made the decision to have my bedroom downstairs in a parlor when we bought the house. When my house was built, there were no bathrooms, just an outhouse. When people put up privacy fences in our very old neighborhood, I felt like everything was closed off. But, I came to really like it. It seems like having dogs as you do, that a fenced yard would be very cozy and practical. I envy you patio! For a long time, making my yard beautiful or efficient was my goal, and I spent a lot of time doing things to make it special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The plans are mine mal- just fixing what got ruined with both tree overgrowth and the deck removal/ patio replacement. I think my back door needs replacing though so will wait on railing to make that easier for the contractor.

      Delete
  11. It's good to know that you love your home and enjoy spending time there. Despite being a restless soul , always needing to have my next adventure booked, I do enjoy time spent in our house even though, being almost three hundred years old it's constantly in need of work, be it a leaky roof or a rotten windowsill. I'm currently sitting surrounded by ladders, boxes, tins of paint and rolls of wallpaper whilst Jon waits for his decorating mojo to kick in (it could take years!) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a weird juxtaposition- to be a homebody, but I really want to see more places. Maybe Jon and I can find out mojo together- mine for my yard.

      Delete

Post a Comment

If you comment anonymously, it'd be nice to have a name to go with the comment. It helps me string other people's comments and therefore their experiences together.

Popular posts from this blog

Testing the Waters

Floundering Financially

On Having Things to Look Forward To