Testing the Waters

       I've missed blogging. I blogged for nearly nine years in a previous iteration. It was a daily ritual during the long hiatus from regular life that the Covid pandemic created. Even as the world, my world, opened up again, the clicking away on my phone or computer keyboard, reading comments if something I said had any resonance, and reading and commenting on other blogs in return became my morning norm. Life sure is unpredictable. A year ago, just after Christmas, I had read of the tragic loss of my blogger friend's husband who passed away on Christmas morning, then read one of her readers lost her husband the same week. Never would I imagine just a few weeks later would I be joining that unasked for club, faced with my own widow story. But there it is. I've had to try and figure out life in this unplanned and foreign place. I'm not a young widow, having raised and launched three children, but at now 58, feel too young to be thought of in the same space as my 83-year-old mother-in-law. And yet, I am.  

     I don't know what this blog will be about yet, or even if it continues. I'm truly testing the waters. Financially, I am OK, not wealthy, but able to keep the wolves from my door. I want to travel, invest in my home to make it as comfortable a respite as I can, spend quality time with family and friends, and indulge in hobbies, old or newfound. I'd like to retire from my full-time job in about 18 months, freeing up time for all the latter. That will take planning, saving, and wise use of my time and money. The blog won't be a frugality blog per se, but I guess my chronicle of trying to live an economically good life, with "sips of Champagne" as Cheap Chick*, would say. This is a new road of life that is focused on my family, but with only me taking a turn in the driver's seat. 

     There's all kinds of secondary losses when my husband passed away unexpectedly at 61, just 8 months before he planned to retire. I miss him terribly and everything about our life we had. I'm living with all the additional things that fell apart and now have pieces to pick up and put together. No doubt the pattern, the assembly, the result is going to be different. I hate making decisions about major things alone. For some, I've just ignored and kicked the can down the road to figure out later. Other things I've jumped on probably too quickly, aggressively, trying to force myself to move forward. I'm learning I need to both slow down and not be afraid to act, while I make thoughtful plans to implement whatever needs to be done. 

     I've had a wonderful support system. I could not have gotten out of bed some days if it wasn't for my kids, my sisters and brothers, my neighbors, and my friends. My work colleagues have been phenomenal, respecting my skills and knowledge, but understanding there are days I'm just not "on" and need grace. I need to stand upright a bit more on my own now, but I'm so grateful to know these people are all still here. I've been able to be there for others too, and I'm glad I had enough resiliency to put others ahead of my grief when they truly needed me. 

     What's the story with Sam Squared? S-A-M are my initials. Interesting, if I double each letter, that gives the first letter for me, my husband, my son, my older daughter, my younger daughter, and then our last name. SS AA MM or Sam^2. Maybe not mathematically right but works for me. It keeps my husband close and my family in my vision at all times. So the blog will be, Sam Squared, for now. I hope to reconnect with old friends and hope to find new ones through these words. If we don't know each other yet, welcome. If you found me again, I hope you stick around. 



     *Tammy wrote a blog for many years titled Living Rich on the Cheap, and sadly passed away in the fall of 2021. She was a lovely person and I have thought of her often. This revamp of my blog is dedicated to both my husband and to her. 

Comments

  1. Glad to see you giving this another chance! Sorry you have been sick.
    No you can't push it at all. To many I have seemed good, but I am just getting back into my life after 4 1/2 years. It does take time.
    We'll all be here for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't promise steady posts, but you've all given me a little shot of adrenaline to try again.

      Delete
  2. I enjoy your writing and am glad you decided to try blogging again and hope it helps you navigate a path you didn't choose. The grieving meme is spot-on and doesn't just apply to death, it can apply to other losses as well such as dementia. Wishing you a blessed 2024.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really hit me in ways I couldn't describe. The poster seems to capture all I couldn't put in words.

      Delete
  3. I am glad you're back. You have been in my thoughts during the Holidays. Be and stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Sam, Good for you for starting this new blog. You have had some hard shocks (with Covid to boot!). But you have a lot of vitality, a practical nature, and lots of widespread interests, so I am sure that all your readers will enjoy exchanging thoughts with you again, and hearing the latest from your neck of the woods.
    Good luck and Happy New Year! --Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about vitality, just still here. It's kind you think so.

      Delete
  5. Glad to hear from you. I have wondered how it was going. I can only imagine how all this cannot be easy. Having covid is not fun at all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm pleased to see you've started a new blog, I hope it helps you. Also hoping this new year will be what you want it to be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you are back, in whatever form you choose.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. No cards this year, photo or other. Good to hear from you.

      Delete
  9. Welcome back! You and Kim have been on my mind this holiday season. I can relate to being sick. I got the worst cold ever (it may have been COVID) over the Thanksgiving week. I look forward to hearing from you again. You are one of my favorite bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so kind. I hope 2024 treats us both better.

      Delete
  10. Sam, I am so happy you’re writing in this format again. Like others, I have thought of you often and look forward to hearing from you when you choose to post. Wishing you all the very best, Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad you are back blogging. I did miss your daily posts!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very glad to hear from you - have been thinking of your often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I look forward to reading about your family and life.

      Delete
  13. I have been thinking of you and praying for you. Glad to see you are back in this capacity. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rachel. I hope your days are brighter too.

      Delete
  14. Welcome back, we appreciate you in whatever form.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So glad to see you back. I've thought of you often.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad to see you back. Prayers always

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope your DH and you have a healthy 2024.

      Delete
  17. Liz from Central CAJanuary 2, 2024 at 2:30 AM

    So glad to see you blogging again in whatever way you can. I have been a reader since Covid (found you through Kim’s blog) and “buy the beer” has become what I whisper to myself and to DH when either of us second guess buying ourselves a simple little treat. Thank you for having the courage to write that blog only a month after your husband’s death. That one phrase truly changed how I view life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes. I have many mottos in my head. I don't feel courageous, just messy and need somewhere to put my thoughts.

      Delete
  18. Welcome back Sam. I'm so glad you're with us again and can't wait to read your new blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't get too excited about the content. Life is pretty messy now still.

      Delete
  19. Welcome back to the blogosphere. I'm still in it, but just barely. When you mentioned Cheap Trick, I almost busted out crying. I miss her so much and think of her often, especially at Christmas. She loved those vintage Shiny Brite ornaments. Look forward to your future entries. Happy New Blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was wonderful. I hope I wasn't out of my lane recognizing her in my blog.

      Delete
    2. I don't think so at all. It's so nice to see her mentioned! She made an impression on so many readers. I know they all must miss her. She was a very special person.

      Delete
  20. This made my morning. I stop by regularly hoping you may post something and tell us your news. I too am glad to hear from you. I hope 2024 is a good year for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, Spo. I wish the best for us both this year.

      Delete
  21. Thank you for the update. It is so good to hear from you. Looking forward to reading your new blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It won't be regular, but I hope to throw a post up now and then.

      Delete
  22. Visiting from Cheryl's blog. I love to find new (to me) bloggers. Will check back for more entries!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's wonderful to see you back. Blessings to you and your family in this New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Welcome back Sam Squared! Wishing you a safe and healthy 2024 as you embrace your next chapter while you grieve hub and your many losses. I hope you find solace in writing again. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Embrace might be a long shot, but I'm here and trying.

      Delete
  25. I'm so glad that you're back, Sam and am sorry you've been ill.
    The reasoning behind your blog title is so very thoughtful. As I replied to Siobhan, who like you is another member of that club nobody ever wanted to join, I hope that in 2024 a tiny chink of light will enter the darkness and you find a little joy.
    I often think of Tammy and like Lorraine commented, I remember how much she loved Xmas. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to find that light. Tammy was lovely.

      Delete
  26. So glad you are blogging again ..know how you feel ..it has been nearly 13 years I have been widowed, and it will be ok again ...not the same ...hard to imagine, but you will be ok ..love and prayers to you (and things will be fun again)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the year will go on, and I'll still be trying to find my place. No getting to go backwards.

      Delete
  27. So, so, so happy to see this. I too am going to try and blog more. This is just very hard, and I totally understand everywhere you are coming from. I love the Sam Squared. You are totally right in that it is not just the loss of the person it is the loss of a way of life. O lot to sort thorough and get used to and none of it fun. But we can do this together. I would so love that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life dome days is just so hard. I go to bed thinking of him wake up wondering where he is. Still.

      Delete
  28. So glad to hear from you. I have been worried. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm here, just older, still shaky, but here.

      Delete
  29. Jre so glad to see your blog and it gives me so much to think about. I also thought sadly about Tammy around Christmas and the unfairness of all of this! In being a widow it’s so much the loss of the future as you’d planned it that punches you in the stomach. The regrets, if only’s, the why did that even matter blah blah. So much buy the beer! Like you don’t regret what you did but what you didn’t do. My kids wanted me to pull out old vcr tapes from old video cameras as they couldn’t remember their dad’s voice. They were going to go through them at new years but that fell through but I have them all boxed up. (I really didn’t want to do it so I was glad). For some reason I’ve been more fragile lately. We had a great Christmas but then there’s those arrows through your heart. But now here’s to the best possible in 2024!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My BIL went on and on at Christmas about videos and memories. I drowned him out as I wasn't in a mood for his platitudes. But, I too have boxes of video tapes and at some point want to get them reformatted for new watching. I play the only voice mail I have from my husband from time to time. I just feel a need to hear his voice again.

      Delete
  30. Tears in my eyes reading this. And grateful you are trying out a new blog as you move forward. Thinking of you and wishing you comfort and light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm overwhelmed with the responses. I can't say how often I'll post,but you all are giving me a push I maybe need to do something with all the thoughts I have locked inside.

      Delete
  31. I am so glad that you gave yourself some space, and am so very happy that you returned. When you announced that you might step down from blogging altogether, I went back and read all of your posts from the beginning (it took a while....). I was struck by how open and honest you have been, and how so many of your musings were things that I had mused about as well. Given the number of comments that you get, I suspect that many others also view you as a kindred spirit. You had a lot of great recipes and ideas for local outings on your old blog, too. I have never been a frequent commenter, but hope that you will find your blogging community as a "soft place to land." Be well, and share your musings when it meets your needs. We've missed you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say my posts were particularly stimulating but so kind of you to think so. I'll just see what this blog evolves into.

      Delete
  32. So glad to see you back to blogging. I thought of you often during the Christmas season, because the year of firsts is such an emotional time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is for sure the truth. Every day feels like a new land, or land mine of grief to walk around. I feel fortunate that so many of you stuck around for me. I've been reading, but just sort of hiding in the shadows of blog world.

      Delete
  33. Sorry to hear of your loss - I found your blog through Cheryl that I follow. I hope you can find the time/strength to share with us. Wishing you love and warmth for 2024 (Sue from the UK)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have too much time some days. Then, there's days I feel like are not my own and overwhelmed with how much to do by myself. Thanks for coming from Cheryl's blog.

      Delete
  34. Your post just resonates so much
    Like Vix says, we are both members of a club that we never wanted to join . Your friendship since Tony died has been a ray of light for me
    Siobhan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you know I feel the same. Still doing my planning. New Year, new opportunity to budget time and money for next fall.

      Delete

Post a Comment

If you comment anonymously, it'd be nice to have a name to go with the comment. It helps me string other people's comments and therefore their experiences together.

Popular posts from this blog

Floundering Financially

On Having Things to Look Forward To