More Dates on Calendar

      I received a Save the Date message for my highschool reunion. Forty years!!!! It's not until September, but the folks that plan are good and organized. It's local to where I live and more than likely I'll attend with my friends. I have no strong ties to or wishes to relive the past, but I also have good memories of people I'd likely only see at these type of gatherings. It'll again be more of a backyard barbecue and games event, not a fancy dress up occasion. The one and only reunion event attempting upscale at our 20 year reunion sort of fell like a lead balloon. The sporty people will hold a golf event the day before and someone will host a bon fire that evening. 

     I feel like I've lived multiple lifetimes since those seemingly now to me, care free days of being 18. I didn't go to highschool with my husband, though many know him, as we've/ he's lived in this community for a long time. No doubt there will be awkward moments where I'll be in conversation with someone who did not know about my loss, but that's what happens over time and distance. 

     My younger sister that had the bougie work trip last June raised the idea  that I should join her again. She said I seemed to enjoy it much more than her husband has. The trip nor me joining is a given, but I'm keeping the possibility open. Well before that, today in fact, she's hosting a January birthday gathering- 3 siblings with January birthdays. It'll be simple with card playing, pizza, and a cake. 

     I think I've narrowed down a possible UK travel window between November 4 and November 26, two weeks somewhere in that range, if I can get some things to fall into place. My plans are to see more of London, but also connect with Siobhan and spend a few days in Bath. Still loads to plan and budget for. There's a change on the horizon in my family, so I am keeping a flexible mindset. Nothing inherently good or bad, but will be a significant change, and may change both my schedule and financial priorities. 

     There were some good suggestions both in comments and via email on day or weekend trips to fill other months. Spring, March- May are not my favorite months anyway, so those are the weekends I want to fill. I'm going to get my camera out again too. Not since that first summer of Covid have I had a good play with it. Nothing wrong with creating a day trip and snapping away. It's a virtually free hobby. I'm a horrible photographer but every now and then I can get a decent picture. A few favorites I've taken for no particular reason.








     I'm trying folks, to rebuild my life a bit. This going it alone is tough. 

Comments

  1. You are doing well! Give yourself credit. Nice pictures. I did a 50 year reunion last fall - eye opening for sure! But it was something different to do.
    Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iive in the town I went to highschool in. It's seeing a few people that have long moved away but I was friendly with that will be nice.

      Delete
  2. Your pictures are very nice, and I really like the bird one. Forty years? wow, time sure does fly. My 40 year will be in 2025. I hope you enjoy yours and it's not too tough on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Six classes
    combined a reunion and I went to that. It was nice. Hope you have a good time! I live several hours away but in same state so it was not a stretch to go. I keep in touch with folks via Facebook but only see them in person at reunions. I have pleasant memories but not close
    to any of them. I am much closer to my college roommates. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd probably not go to a multiple year reunion, our classes are so big already. I only am close to one college friend and aquatintances more with others from college. I had my sports and yearbook club friends in HS, + 4H outside of school.

      Delete
  4. You reminded me to think of what reunion year it was. This year will be my 60-year reunion. The more upscale reunions have been attended more than the few cookout types. Our class officers and the reunion committee is into skits. They are so much fun. This will be the first time I will not be able to dance. I hope you enjoy your reunion as much as I do mine. We have one every five years.
    I think you are doing remarkably well adjusting to your new situation. The trip to London should be fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Skits would be my nightmare and I think there would not be any willing participants. I'm glad it works for you.

      Delete
  5. What lovely photos, Sam! Those little dogs gazing at you with adoration is so sweet.
    I keep being invited to school reunions and decline every time. I went to an all-girls school, all the girls I liked I'm still in touch with and have no wish to meet up with the ones I didn't like but maybe it's fun if you've lost touch and want to rekindle friendships.
    I'm excited about your travel plans especially if you get to meet up with Siobhan. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vix
      You can’t be more than 90 minutes from me - maybe we an all meet up ?
      Siobhan x

      Delete
    2. I'm game for a good party, and that's what these tend to be. No one takes them seriously- no showing off, or if there is, no one cares about paying any attention. If I. An pull it off, sure would be fun to see a lot of UK blogger friends.

      Delete
  6. I think your photos are terrific! I cannot see myself ever going to my high school reunion. That old saying, "you can't go home again," rings very true for me, but I admit that I do lurk on my high school alumni fb page now and then, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live in the town lol, but I agree. Those reliving the past probably have a harder time now.

      Delete
  7. Your photos- particularly the symmetry of the tree shot, are beautiful. It’s lovely to “ see” what you see , another connection made
    I really hope the November trip is able to happen
    Siobhan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admire a good photo. My husband loved his camera as do my two oldest.

      Delete
  8. You are doing great ....it is tough,, it's tough being widowed, it's tough being single, it's tough being married..it's tough with a new partner...i hope my former comment did not come across as being a pollyanna...we do the best we can ...glad you have some awesome things being planned...have a wonderful day ..32 and rain here , i am back home and in for the day..God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure how to respond. I'm not sure being windowed is quite the same as the other categories. I do agree life can be hard regardless of our circumstances with or without partners.

      Delete
  9. We're out here cheering you on and even though it might not feel like it, it appears you're doing a pretty good job of navigating rough waters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I exist every day. Some days there's even some sun.

      Delete
  10. Your photos are so lovely! And, sounds like a lot of fun potential adventures ahead. We've been in a bit of limbo on travel plans, waiting to hear if we are going to meet up with my husband's family this year (just got confirmation that it's a go) & based on Sam's college selection, need for touring, drop off dates, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember those pre college decision years. That over rides so many plans. Good luck.

      Delete
  11. Those are some great pictures! I’m so guilty of not taking enough, at events or of my surroundings. January has been a dull and blah month short of a dinner out with former and current work friends (we call it our Family Reunion) and a hockey game with DD. I will be celebrating Galentine’s with my mom friends on Friday but other than that I don’t have much on the calendar. I have never attended a class reunion and likely never will. I can’t think of anyone I would want to see. JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't capture enough moments, and this would be for hobby. Maybe do both- more moments and figure out my camera settings.

      Delete
  12. I think your photos are really good! Outings with your camera sound like a good idea. I really hope you can do that trip to the UK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's more expensive as I dig into details than I originally had in my head. There's several things that need to fall in place between now and August to commit fully yet.

      Delete
  13. New visitor to your blog! I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your husband. My mom died unexpectedly last July. The past six months have been hard without her. The days I feel sad, lonely, and miss her I think of all the happy memories I had with her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry for your loss. My parents have been gone a long time, and I still miss them. My kids are struggling with the loss of their dad. I hope we can all draw on our happy times.

      Delete

Post a Comment

If you comment anonymously, it'd be nice to have a name to go with the comment. It helps me string other people's comments and therefore their experiences together.

Popular posts from this blog

Testing the Waters

Floundering Financially

On Having Things to Look Forward To