January Illness and Milestones

      Last week started out ok, though I was trying to build resiliency to face the anniversary of my husband's unexpected death last year. My sister had a spare Minnesota Wild Hockey ticket and I joined her on Monday. We saw a 5-0 shutout, breaking a four game losing streak, coupled with witnessing Marc Andre Fleury's 552 win, placing him #2 on the all time goalie list. Exciting. 


     My sister had a light cough, a little tickle in her throat, and had a headache earlier. She took a Covid test as precaution; it was negative, and she didn't feel sick otherwise. Until Wednesday when she didn't make it through her work day. 

     Two back to back webinars for the grant I am managing went well on Tuesday and Wednesday and I scheduled myself out for Thursday, the actual sad anniversary date. Thursday I took care of the old dog and brought the young one for an extra doggie daycare play date. I went to my daughter's in St Paul to spend time with her and kittie. My older daughter was going to join me later at home. I helped my daughter for about an hour when suddenly I just felt lousy. Fever, chills, and exhaustion. We ordered lunch, but I laid down and she picked it up.

     They gave her firecracker shrimp and not firecracker tofu, as she had ordered. It would have been really inconvenient to return and get right order, so she took off the shrimp and put in a container for her roommate and ate the noodles and some of my massive chicken portion, for which I didn't have much of an appetite. I did contact customer service just in case they'd send a coupon or something.

      I managed to feel well enough to get home, but after taking care of pup, I crawled in bed- for 15 hours!  My older daughter picked up her dog from daycare and stayed away so she wouldn't get ill. 

     The fever, chills, cough, headache lasted for days, through the weekend. Pup was not feeling well either. If I hadn't just had Covid, I'd have felt certain it was that, but it was just good old fashion flu. I missed my friends puzzle and game event, my great nieces college diving, my nieces gymnastic meet, and my sisters birthday. Plus, I had made a decision I was going to start packing my husband's things, but that didn't happen. Maybe intervention that I was not quite ready. Somehow, I got through the anniversary, but feel like I've truly done battle. I lost the weekend, and now another work week has begun. 

     I'm going to lay low this week, the dogs my only company, with the exception of a quick drop off and pickup of grand pup Tuesday, and colleagues via Teams, and hope the lingering ailments subside. I know many of you have battled this winter virus. Best wishes to you all on a speedy recovery.


Comments

  1. Flu and Covid have been sweeping through our area (central Ohio), so we are being super cautious in this household. Hope you feel better, Sam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lingering cough and fatigue but on the mend.

      Delete
  2. Hello Sam, I am so sorry that you have had all this illness on top of the stress of what you are going through in general. Please take it easy, don't take any chances by doing too much, and get well soon.
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry you have been sick again. I know that on top of your grief is very hard on you. Take the week to do little but fully recover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weekend was a busy. I just played around and slept as I could.

      Delete
  4. I guess your defences are low, hence why you caught it. I hope the work week isn't too taxing and that you can rest up as much as possible. I'm glad you were able to get out and enjoy the hockey game - although confess I didn't understand a word of your description! (not a hockey fan, and British).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My resiliency has taken a beating. Yes, hockey has its own culture and terms.

      Delete
  5. Sam,
    When I have been stressed about some major event in my life, I have suddenly become ill with symptoms like you described. It is bad enough to be in a bad head space, and then bo have the body wracked with such misery. When I was having a uti every three weeks, massive does of Vit D worked miracles for me. It seems as I get older I have to always be ready to fight off something! I remembered the anniversary and worried/thought about you. Hopefully, you will recover well from whatever this is. You did miss a lot, but when you recover, there will be other events. Don't mean to be handing out platitudes with that last sentence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doctor prescribed the massive doses of D based on tests. I would not suggest you take 50,000 units of Vit D on your own.
      Practical Parsimony

      Delete
  6. It sounds like you might have picked something up from your sister doesn't it. Add that to the stress of the anniversary I'm not surprised you crashed! I hope by now you are feeling much better. Be kind to yourself. There's only so much you can squeeze out of a tube isn't there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't blame her. I was also in the office too last week.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like an exciting hockey game!
    I am so sorry that you have had the flu though, and I hope that you are feeling better. Try to take it easy as much as possible this week. Sending hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry you have gotten down with the crud that is going around. Sometimes we just have to slow down and reflect - it seems we get those moments one way or another. Take care of yourself and feel better. Don't rush into anything you are not ready for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too much reflection. My brain needs a break.

      Delete
  9. I'm sorry you've been ill, as if having to deal with that painful anniversary wasn't bad enough.
    I'm glad the hockey match had a good outcome. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm guessing it was the flu that TBG brought to our household last week. It was brutal. I hope you're on the mend soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Although I am sorry you were sick. I wonder if this is what you needed. Just a little bit of a mental slow down.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am just over two months behind you Sam , on our reluctant widows walk . What I am noticing is how I am dreading the time leading up to Tony’s first anniversary in March 25th.

    We ( my adult children and I) did not mark Christmas this year, we just had to get through it . Tony adored Christmas.
    My birthday was last week, again not marked and my sons is early February- he doesn’t want to mark this ( but we will go to Bath as we did on my birthday for lunch. Tony loved Bath .)

    You have had some incredibly difficult days in your calendar- Thanksgiving , birthdays , anniversaries and , before you can catch your breath , Christmas and the anniversary of his death . I am not surprised that you were physically ill , and it’s not wholly down to grief but there is a link between our physical and mental health .
    You have shown tremendous courage to move through all these days - and I am sure you will continue to show courage as you face the days ahead
    I am so glad you felt able to come back to blogging . You have created a very special community here
    Siobhan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last year, you know, was horrible each month. And, since August on just more so as every month had days that opened new wounds. I can't imagine year two being worse, but so am told to prepare for that. I know you get what I'm saying.

      Delete
  13. I hope you are feeling much better now. The flu can really knock you down. Take it easy this week, rest and try not to do too much. Take good care of yourself and the pup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've stayed home other than dog walks. I'm drinking a lot of water.

      Delete
  14. Fun fact, I have actually met Marc Andre Fleury, he is beloved here in Pittsburgh and just as genuine as you could imagine. I love the hockey content! Your illness sounds like what I had in December. Mine was a short lived 48 hour thing, hubby had it almost a week and daughter never got it at all. Strange. JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister met him on her Sweden trip. She said he was a good guy. My daughter's stayed healthy, for which I'm glad.

      Delete
  15. Oh no Sam! I hope you are feeling better from the flu, that stuff will make you miserable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was miserable but might be on the mend now.

      Delete

Post a Comment

If you comment anonymously, it'd be nice to have a name to go with the comment. It helps me string other people's comments and therefore their experiences together.

Popular posts from this blog

Testing the Waters

Floundering Financially

On Having Things to Look Forward To