Four Legged Update

     We are animal people. My 12-year-old Shih poo and my daughters mixed breed rescue got me through the long, lonely evenings in the early months of my first year of widowhood. They got me out of bed for walks, or snuggled up when they sensed I needed them. I do doggie daycare for my grand pup Monday through Thursday, though on Tuesday he goes to a real doggie day care for a day of play. I miss him when he goes home. Well, my younger daughter adopted a kitten before Thanksgiving. That was a wild ride of a weekend. The old dog pretty much was unphased (except when he was trying to discipline both young animals), but the younger one didn't know how he was supposed to stay calm. Christmas went better with a large, young dog, and a kitten that really likes to explore. I would not be described as a cat person, but this guy has stolen my heart as well. 

     Because my son could visit from California a bit longer, my youngest didn't want to miss time with him. She and kitty essentially moved back in for a few weeks. She still had to go to work. I got the fun of a kitten joining me on Teams calls, and at several points, he just climbed up and went to sleep on the laptop keyboard. I anticipate many more holidays with a house full of people and pets, and it will be chaos. 

     The kitten will grow into a cat, grand pup will settle into acceptance, and just like pup accepted the younger dog, we'll all find order again. Until then, this now grandma times two to fur babies is just going to embrace it. With the chaos comes a sort of emotional therapy no professional could ever train for. 



Comments

  1. Ahhh, fur babies know exactly what to do without us having to say anything at all. Your grand cat is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss their pets when they go home, but pup likes me to himself.

      Delete
  2. I am not a cat person but the grand cats have visited here and they are fine cats but stay distant from us.
    I much prefer when the grand dogs visit though because I am a dog person and there is nothing better for my soul than dog kisses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was that way too- nothing against cats. This guy though is perfect.

      Delete
  3. So glad you've had your fur babies to love on this past year. They really are so very good for the soul. A house full of people and pets is the good kind of chaos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chaos and as long as I have a space to retreat too, I'm good.

      Delete
  4. oh those crazy cats! What would we do without them !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww sweet kitty! Thanks for the four legged update, and I'm so glad they provided comfort and entertainment this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love cats - I have always had them. My kitties, both inside and out, kept me going too when I lost hubs. They give you purpose each day and also give unconditional love. Such a pretty baby.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to have a furr baby, but unfortunately, I rent, and no pets allowed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pet shelters sometimes need volunteers to pet cats and walk dogs.

      Delete
  8. Pets are so comforting. Chaos with your children and pets in the house sounds like a very good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sam - I think you are wonderful but in my house cats rule ! Written with Milo the cat sitting on my lap . He has been a comfort to me since Tony died - as I know your furries are to you - I was alone ( by choice ) over New Year and he didn’t leave my side . Pets are just glorious

    So delighted to be reading your blog again
    Siobhan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They all rule me! I'm at their beck and call.

      Delete
  10. Kinda like the John Lewis saying, "Good trouble." This sounds like "good chaos." Enjoy the fur babies.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful puss! I'm in Team Cat with Siobhan! William, the all-black tiny hooligan who decided to adopt us last year, is currently sprawled across the settee snoring his head off after demolishing a plate of fresh chicken. Animals are just wonderful, providing unconditional love . xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am an animal person, with a special fondness for cats. No dogs anymore, as I am no longer willing to do the work. Plus, it hurts my heart too much to say goodbye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find the work different but there for both. I'm a kitten convert.

      Delete
  13. I love cats, but with the sewing shop and no place to put a cat box, my cat is a garage cat. I would love to have a kitty inside. Can you see one climbing a several thousand dollar wedding dress?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine! My curtains have been scaled!

      Delete
  14. Cats and dogs hold such different places in our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How sweet of them to take care of you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love that you got extra time with your son this year, and that DD#2 was able to spend more time with him as well. That must have been so lovely. And, kitten snuggles are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I cannot have indoor animals. But, I like dogs and cats, just outdoors. Allergies! I am glad you can find comfort with them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Our animals know when we're stressed or ill. They bring comfort during difficult times. Blogger is playing up! Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm more a dog person but I'm warming towards cats. Pets bring such comfort don't they.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm an animal person in general. I just have gravitated to dogs. I sure loved the guinea pigs my girls had been n the past as well.

      Delete

Post a Comment

If you comment anonymously, it'd be nice to have a name to go with the comment. It helps me string other people's comments and therefore their experiences together.

Popular posts from this blog

Testing the Waters

Floundering Financially

On Having Things to Look Forward To