Kitchen (not mine) Garden

   


       Despite my garden bust, I'm enjoying the fruits of others labor.  I made two farmers market visits last week and have been devouring beans, peppers, tomatoes, and cucumbers, gave much to my kids, and brought along to a cookout. I even managed to get a couple jars of refrigerator pickles made, and plan to do more before the local cukes are gone. I don't seal these, but they're still good for several weeks since they're packed in vinegar. I can't share the recipe as it took decades before my MIL shared with me, probably after she no longer wanted to make herself. I found several similar on line, but they won't have the little side notes my MIL made as adjustments to family taste.
Reused pasta and jam jar with lid.

     My daughter brought me the gorgeous local sunflowers. Even those didn't come back this year. I'll try again next year. These are my favorite pickles on sandwiches and are particularly good on the Aldi red bag chicken. I haven't bought those for over a year but maybe while pickle season. 

Update: Oh my goodness, look what decided to grow? I pretty much ignored the garden bed since last Thursday when I gave up the hope of anything growing.  Now, its not going to be much to blanch and freeze, but perhaps a meal for a couple people. I'm still getting a bit of tomatoes too. I know Elle gave me a suggestion that might extend the bounty,  but I'd need a lot more soil.

The dogs probably thought I was crazy
 with my reaction to seeing the beans!

Mondays harvest with a few
more green on the vines.

Comments

  1. This post makes me smile. Especially the beans that decided to pop their heads up at the last moment!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

If you comment anonymously, it'd be nice to have a name to go with the comment. It helps me string other people's comments and therefore their experiences together.

Popular posts from this blog

It's Worse Than I Imagined

Cancelled

Home Found