Friday Fiscal Wellness Check August 21, 2026

                                           


         
     For my Friday posts, I copy a previous week, delete the old and update as I go along the week. This helps me add as the week goes on. Here's my recap of Friday, August 14 to Thursday, August 20. I just sort of list things as they come up. I know my WIS is somewhat redundant but my Fridays are a more overall check into how I'm doing in terms of financial wellness instead of daily tracking each expense. 

Use it Up/Avoid Waste
  • I shared leftover pasta salad as it was huge with mil, niece, and a sister in law. I took home a serving of a different salad.
  • The brats I brought weren't eaten because there were leftover hamburgers from Saturday. Because these had thawed, I cooked them in beer Sunday night, then froze. They'll be grill ready.
Avoiding Spending/Saving on needs 
  • While I've not done a lot of stock up shopping, there was plenty to avoid stores and bring tasty items along to the lake for my MIL's birthday. I made a ham, cheese, pea, and pasta salad, chocolate zuchini bread, and spinach and herb dip with pretzels and cucumber slices, plus a package of brats from freezer. The ham came from a large package of thick cut boneless ham pieces bought months ago. I used that ham for other meals Saturday-Wednesday.
  • My daughter forgot a few (needed)  things at the lake and I met her between her jobs and brought her dinner ( met her at job 2) from food I had at home. While I used up over a gallon of gas, I saved her from picking up fast food and had a nice visit while she ate. I packed an ice pack in a bag for her to take leftovers for her lunch on Tuesday.
  • Wednesday morning was absolutely glorious. Who needs a coffee shop when there's great patio seating? My neighbor joined me for a bit with her diet Coke on her morning break. (She works remotely and starts her day at 5:00 a.m.). 
    Throwback mug!

Opportunities to add Funds/Windfalls 

  • Entered receipts in Fetch, played MS Rewards. I did a couple of Saga surveys. 
  • Got my 2025 property tax rebate filed and happily surprised at the return. There was a one time added relief for 2025 though which explained it.

 Non-Thrifty or Frugal

  • Splurged on an expensive pepperoni roll and huge scone at Farmers market as my son stayed night before and I  invited him to stay for lunch. He had to work later so was happy to not have to make anything at home. I just tracked as part of grocery budget, which I'm on budget for the month.
  • Still in negative gardening territory, but accepting that so no more reporting after today. A few more tomatoes might come but they're looking sad. 

Then, there are often other things that impacted my check book that came up without much planning or notice, an extra optional or necessary expense, or an all-out splurge.

  •  Pawious sound training tool for grandpups renewed barking issue.

  Daily Dinner Diary (Friday 8/14 to Thursday, 8/20). 

Fri -  Turkey hotdogs with pickles, Greek yogurt

Sat- Pasta salad I made for Sunday that didn't fit the container with tight lid. 

Sun-  Big lunch at lake, assorted salads, grilled meats, etc. So later I had a bit of the ham salad I brought home and a slice of zucchini bread

Mon- Teryiaki chicken, rice, broccoli with son

Tues-  Ham chunks with au gratin vegetables from freezer,  leftover rice 

Weds- Ham, cheese, green pepper and onion egg bake (made a half version- but enough to eat for lunch Thursday), salad greens

Thur- Sauteed garlic and sesame green beans,   chicken in a sort of sweet and sour sauce with brown rice

Leftovers Added to Freezer:

  • I worked on clearing things from the freezer so I  can do a deep freezer clean today.
  • 5 beer cooked brats.

          I miss the kitties not being here, but I'll see them Sunday along with my younger daughter's cats as I'm helping her with a few things. I am bringing fruit to a cookout tomorrow so at some point need to get to the store. How was your week? 

  

Comments

  1. I'm so sorry about the gardening experience this summer. I could blithely say "Well, there's always next year!`but even with a good year in the garden, I am not always sure there is always next year in terms of energy and schedules. I wish we lived closer; I would gladly tote tomatoes and peppers to your home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd gladly take them. I've been loading up on veg at meals and feel andcsee the impact. Let's hope I continue when the fresh bounty is done.

      Delete
  2. Also in negative gardening territory here on the east coast. Periodic intense heat and an aggressive chipmunk were the likely cause. Like you, I am hoping for a few late season tomatoes.You did very well with using food on hand.
    I had the happy experience of saving 50 per cent on my grocery purchases. One of the stores here runs a $1 sale for produce once in a while, so I took advantage of that and also scored other good prices with digital coupons. We also got a senior property tax rebate, although due to state budget cuts it was half of the payments for the first 2 quarters. I had an epic fail with my daughter’s birthday blondies. The recipe calls for white chocolate chips. I had 2 bags on hand, but ended up wasting one whole bag because I over microwaved the chips.Live and learn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Likely chipmunks and squirrels didn't help the weather. But I'm learning and will try again next year. I enjoyed the process even if results were meh.

      Delete
  3. Here, I really believe that the very cold spring, and very hot summer impacted the garden. Nothing is really growing as it should. Tomatoes are not ripening, eggplant leaves are dying, and there is very little corn really.
    You did very well with all the food usage and clearing things out.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a bit of a feast for her birthday lunch, and four teenagers and two men in their 20's devoured meat! I'm happy for those with successful gardens.

      Delete
  4. I just sent DH a link to a greenhouse I want, because I think that's the only solution to our squirrel problem. We'll see what he has to say. ;-) I had a splurge dinner out with friends last night, but the rest of the week have avoided grocery shopping & tried to make frugal choices, after the big & $$ college move in. - Hawaii Planner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you get it, please share. I'm exploring putting a shed up with an auxiliary greenhouse leantoo (?). I can picture what I'm thinking but haven't found yet.

      Delete
  5. We had not much luck with the gardening this year. We are lucky to have a neighbor who starts veggies from seeds and shares with us so we have no expense other than a little time invested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had better indoor space I'd love to start seeds inside. I'll never do zuchini because my daughter gets so many, but cucumbers, peppers, tomatoes and beans would be appreciated.

      Delete
  6. Your Farmers Market items sound just delicious, even if they were pricey. But, likely a direct correlation of course. I'll pick quality over quantity any day of the week.

    As a member of a smaller family, I do enjoy reading about the many different ways your direct and extended family gather together. Really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a bread company in St Paul. When I worked in the city I'd splurge on loaves wheneverin the area. They are good but very.

      Delete
  7. As usual, your meals sound great. I wish there was something I could do about the barking dogs directly behind me. They are constantly sounding the alarm when I am in my yard. I bet their owners are tired of letting them in and out all morning long when I am back and forth out there working.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't blame people being annoyed. I was on the porch Monday ( my dogs were inside) on a phone call and had to go in because the barking throughout the neighborhood was loud. It's not just mine but we need to be responsible and try and curb it now.

      Delete
  8. Sorry your garden didn't produce what you wanted this year, but your investment can still pay off down the road. Be sure and throw some compost, eggshells and or leaves in it before winter and it will help add nutrients to your soil for next Spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need more soil too. I think that was part of my problem. Thanks for the advice.

      Delete

Post a Comment

If you comment anonymously, it'd be nice to have a name to go with the comment. It helps me string other people's comments and therefore their experiences together.

Popular posts from this blog

It's Worse Than I Imagined

Cancelled

Home Found