Struggling in Year Two as a Widow

     


     If you are not in the mood for a post like this, I will take no offense. Skip on over and hopefully another day I'll be a bit better spirited. This is for me really after another challenging weekend trying to cope. I'm really struggling in this second year of being a widow. Maybe it's the season; this should have been our first summer to really enjoy the extra time together. He was to have retired Labor Day weekend last September, and we'd be spending nights going to music by the park events, weekends and my days off either on an adventure or at the cabin, happily tooling around in the boat that he waited decades to buy. I can't stop thinking about the wasted opportunities when we had them and took time for granted. The planning for my own retirement almost sickens me to see the unused financial sacrifices he made to secure our future. 

      I focus on my kid's happiness but they each seem just as stuck, but in different ways. I know they will be happy or not, satisfied with life or not, independent of me. I don't want to be a burden to any of them. Irrational thinking clogs my brain frequently. Maybe them being stuck is because they see me struggling and I'm supposed to be the matriarch now, keeping things floating. Instead, we seem to all be treading water and I feel like none of us can catch a break. 

     I'm lonely all the time-even with people. I feel like a 3rd wheel, a fifth wheel, a unicycle. I really don't like being around his family, but I will when decorum seems to require it. No-not decorum, because what is proper as a widow? I join them because I don't want anything to reflect poorly on my husband or my children. I'm even going to join my kids when they spend a long weekend at the cabin, but honestly, might make a Saturday exit as the throngs will descend by Friday night. I'll make a day trip only to the lake for the 4th of July. I feel like the extra around my family too, but not as badly because too many of my sisters have experienced widowhood and aloneness. They don't seem to expect that I've moved on, or as my mother-in-law says, "keep on" as in, " you just need to keep on."  I've felt critiqued by her almost from day one of meeting her, but I even feel like she's critiquing how I mourn. This is likely another irrational view I'm holding, but when she literally does not say his name or changes the subject if I do, I can't help it.  

     I feel enough on my own like I'm widowing wrong and should be making headway learning to live as myself. I read blogs by others that seem to be doing so well. They run businesses, nurture gardens, care for grandchildren. I just sit in my own mind too often. I don't know if it will really help, but there is some reassurance when I read or hear from others that yes, the second year can be just as awful. This article, Grief for Widows and Widowers Can Prove Harder after the First Year was spot on in so many areas to what I've been feeling and dealing with. I've had uncontrollable crying jags, and moments where I feel tears welling up for no apparent reason; something in that moment reiterated the loss. Poor Sobhan in the UK, I've used her as an email pen pal, no key board therapy more like it, probably too much. But I sometimes have felt she is the only one that understands what I feel-and we've not even met in person. We have joked, no that's not the right word, pondered, that our emails could be put together as content for a grief experience book. 

     I can't wait to go to bed each night, and at least the few hours of sleep I can get. I don't have any facade to keep up and no happy face to put on so others are not uncomfortable around me. Yet, each morning I must get up. When I am in bed I'm lonely too, but I'm able to be lonely in complete privacy. 

     In time I'll figure out what is important to keep, what no longer needs to be part of my life. The boat may prove to be a bigger hassle than it's worth. I've said I'm going to give it this summer and next to see how much use it gets, then with the kids make a decision that's right for us all. I'll remember my kids are adults and I can't do anything but offer a safe landing place. I deal with whatever is slung my way for work and continue putting plans in place for next summer.  

     I try and take joy with the dogs, the visiting kitten, the sunshine with a cool breeze. I'll keep hope that after my knee surgery and commitment to physical therapy, I'll feel better. There's no medical intervention to manage the physical (it's a continual ache in my stomach and head) and mental pain I'm dealing with in my grief. I guess it's time and trying each day to lean into the life I have right now, even though it absolutely is not the life I wanted. There is no alternative.

Comments

  1. Please be kind to yourself. You're doing widowhood as you need to. I found year two more challenging myself. Everyone else seemed to have moved on and I was still so very sad. Songs, a view of the mountains driving into town, a show we had watched together....so many things brought me to tears. Just feel and be what comes naturally and trust yourself. Blessings to you and your children. Lynn Ewing

    ReplyDelete
  2. No one can tell you what's the right way to grieve or live but you. Your way is the right way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a friend who is widowed. (With Covid I have a few friends who have lost someone and many of them were husbands or wives.) So much of what you are saying is what she has said. She feels a lot of guilt about being the one still here, being the one that can take the vacations. It makes me sad, but you are right that I don't understand. But as her friend I want to and just keep listening. It has gotten easier and harder at the same time for her. Her boys graduated and the one went into the military and she felt bad because her husband missed these times. It just is hard and she feels things deeply. A friend of ours told her last year that she needs to date and well...you know. They didn't talk for a month. I told mutual friend to cut it out and that she gets to mourn her way not yours. I am thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure there's no wrong way to grieve, you just do it your way and that is right. You're very gracious to others, that is in laws, maybe there's a way to gently, slowly, disengage from, or further limit time with those who are not supporting your needs. And it's ok to feel whatever way you do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keyboard therapy was a wonderful tool for me when my exdh left me. I'm glad you have that resource available to you, Sam. I don't believe there is a right or wrong way in the journey of widowhood. Anyone who criticises the way you are handling this very personal journey doesn't deserve a place in your mind. Love and hugs to you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Take it day by day. Your journey is your own, no one else's. There is no right or wrong way to do things right now, if ever to be honest. I hope you and Siobahn can meet up one day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe your mil is hurting when you mention his name, her child. But, then it bothers you for her to change the subject. Maybe she cries at night, too, and does not want to dissolve in tears in public. I hate that this hurts you! I know I want to talk about someone of mine who is dead as often as I need to, maybe forever. And, I am not defending her. You two have the closet connections to him, and obviously have different styles of grieving, neither of which is wrong.
    I am glad you have someone to email that is helping. I had a great tragedy, and friends told me to go to the mental health center for help coping. Someone listened to me for five minutes, then wrote me a prescription. Not good, at least not for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I could offer you some advice. I think of you often and hope you find a way of getting through the tough times. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really hate this for you! I wish I had some good advice to give you but all I know is you have to do things your way on your timeline. Everyone grieves differently. It's part of your journey and you have to be the one in control. BIG hugs to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Finding you Sam and having you by my side ( because that’s what it feels like even tho we are thousands of miles apart ) has been the one positive for me since Tony died. I feel heard and seen by you ( ironic as we have never met in person - yet !), and when we talk via our emails I finding myself just nodding and saying that’s how I feel too

    The article you shared is
    completely on point for me . The author “ gets it”. Bereavement is painful and life altering whoever has died , but to lose your person , the one you chose as a life partner is a bereavement like no other - I thought I knew grief ( both professionally and personally ) but I did not .

    The second year is harder . It’s harder because this is it for us . If we don’t do something , it doesn’t get done . And how I yearn for five more minutes of sitting with Tony -
    His absence is now the focus of this life - that I did not chose and do not want

    Siobhan x

    ReplyDelete
  11. There is no right or wrong way to 'widow'. We each find our own place and time. Stop with the missed opportunities and count every moment together no matter doing what - a blessing. I did nothing for over 4 years. Then started slow, and now at over 5 years I am starting to enjoy THIS life like I did my other one. I go out with family or girlfriends, so as not to feel like a tag-along. Eventually I am sure I won't care. You do you - do it well and remember he is smiling down on you for being strong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Cheryl ...God bless us all .

      Delete
  12. Glad you have e mail pen pals to talk to, I understand and wish you the very best .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See below- I didn't intentionally delete a comment. There's a button on the comment side of blogger that is easy to hit in error.

      Delete
  13. Thank you for sharing your heart. My younger sister lost her dear husband to a brain tumor 3 months ago. I am trying to help her. She is struggling. I printed out your post to (possibly) share with her next year. Sending hugs to a complete stranger...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I cannot imagine how deeply you're grieving.
    You have lost half your heart.
    No one should tell you how to feel. Your lovely readers who have
    gone through the same life altering event have offered
    good advice.
    Enjoy your children, snuggle your puppies and heal.
    Love to you dear.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is NOT okay for others to tell you how to grieve, think, act, recover. I think year 2 is much harder than year 1 as I listened to my sister over time. You could be writing my sister's experience. She was well into year 3 when she said "I am going to be okay".

    Please be kind to yourself. Some moments will be okay and some will be awful. It's all right for you.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sam;
    Sissy here...Kim is in the same boat as you in many ways, it is harder this year for her, and I cannot help but be here to listen and love. Be patient with yourself and cry all you need to. Time and only time will help. You are loved and have loved and will always be loved! Remember that! Hugs; Sissy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sam, I just wish I could hug you right now. You have the weight of the world on your shoulders. You are busy being the rock for other people without having a rock of your own. It’s not fair and I hate it for you. Your thoughts and feelings and emotions are all valid, don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have no words of wisdom Sam, just sending you and all the other ladies huge, all-enveloping hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  19. All of the virtual hugs to you. This is your journey that you didn't ask for, or plan for, and you will take it at your own pace, and unhelpful advice from friends & family is probably very hurtful. Sending you all of the good thoughts that you find a new equilibrium for yourself, and your family. (Hawaii Planner)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Day by day. Some days will be ok, some not. But, in your heart you know that your dh wants you to be happy and enjoy your life. Take joy in doing the things you know he would be happy to see you doing. Hopefully, at some point, you'll be able to see that as a great way to honor his memory and your love for each other.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am so sorry. Sending hugs and prayers for comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  22. My mum knows in years, days and minutes the point at which she knew she was going to be okay. As far as I remember it was somewhere between 3 and 4 years after my dad's sudden and untimely death. I truly believe that there is no right or wrong way to grieve. You just do what you have to, to get through another day. I'm glad that you and Siobhan can be such a support to each other. I've been through it as a daughter, losing my dad in his 50s, so can understand your children's grief, but even though I saw what my mum endured, I cannot truly understand her, your or Siobhans pain because I still have J. Always thinking of you and your family. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just wanted to mention that there is a blogger, Susan "Honey" Good. with a blog called Honey Good. She also had a special Facebook group for widows.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I meant she "has" a Face book group 😉

    ReplyDelete
  25. It hurts horribly for your child to die before you. Neither of my parents could say my 2 brothers names for decades. She's not just telling you to keep on... it's how she is dealing with it by keeping on. I still weep sometime talking of my late husband and he's been gone for over 34 yrs. Each person is different.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I did not mean to offend anyone and really do wish you all the best ...do not understand the delete, but go with God..I know 12 years of widowhood , we all do the best we can ..sorry if i didnt come across that way .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Error? I didn't delete any responses so might have been fat thumb.

      Delete
    2. I apologize - now Id like to read the comment. So sorry!!

      Delete
  27. Sending hugs. Grieving is such a lonely, personal journey. Everybody does it differently. There is no right or wrong. Please be kind to yourself x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

If you comment anonymously, it'd be nice to have a name to go with the comment. It helps me string other people's comments and therefore their experiences together.

Popular posts from this blog

So Very Tired

Testing the Waters