Monday Refresh Thoughts

      I did very little house or yard work the last two days. Beyond basic tidying up, I left much for the week ahead. I've decided on these perfect weekend days, it's a waste to spend all morning doing housework and afternoons doing yard work when I have weeknights that get long for me and hours of time- purpose instead of the television. So, while I watered plants, and we did a bit of weeding, I'm saving the bulk for the week ahead. Plus, it got hot yesterday, 86 degrees and for this Minnesota person that needs to ease into season changes, just too hot to do a lot of outdoor work.

     My son is around today so will mow the grass. He's going to his grandma's to do a few tasks too. Tonight, I'll get the dogs out on their leads ( Broken record coming-can't wait for the fence), and pull more weeds that just grow and grow with the rain and sun mix we've had the past two weeks. While I have big spring cleaning jobs I keep putting off, window sills I'm talking about you, I can get bathrooms, kitchen, dust and vacuuming done in pretty good speed. No one will say my house is immaculate but it's neat enough. 

     I found a couple inspiration pictures once I get the bug. Here a couple possible front door colors. My house is gray with a white trim door, flash, and porch railings. I think the dark blue will look really nice. These are Googled images from paint advertisement. 

My door has the high windows,
 but also a side panel window. 

The lettering/ numbering stencil is cute, but don't think it fits a suburban type house where people need to see the number well before getting to the door. Open to thoughts. 

     Here's a couple ideas for my bedroom. Vix, sorry just can't do the color pops in there. I want a spa like retreat feel. I like how both the bathrooms feel like that- minimalist and calming ( and easy to clean and maintain.)

Picture from Elfin View Zen Ideas


Googled image- I have a few prints that my husband took and framed for me that might be perfect. I'll just spiff up my white wrought iron headboard. Interestingly, this look is similar to our bedroom at the lake house. 

      I have to figure out when a good week is for vacation time; well no time will be great with taking off for my knee in August. But I have to invest some time in me, and I want the bedroom refresh done before laid up, so have 12 weeks. Mondays can be gloomy for me, followed by long Tuesdays. Thinking of them as a refresh is a mental step to looking at them new. 

     

Comments

  1. We added a black front door 3 years ago. It really pops and makes our 30 year old house look younger. I imagine that blue would work well. I like both bedroom options-pretty easy to accomplish if you have a Home Goods store nearby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a dark color will make the front look classier. I hadn't though black but now I'm intrigued.

      Delete
  2. I love that shade of blue!
    The bedrooms look lovely and relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the doors you posted. Our house is a deep dark gray and we have a red door with stained-glass window and it really pops. We've had a lot of compliments over the years. I love a lot of color but do like a peaceful, calm bedroom like you showed. I hope you have a good Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love a bit of red. Our old door was painted green but that was replaced 6 years ago and we never painted new.

      Delete
  4. We are starting long overdue home projects this fall; love the thought of a calming bedroom. NONE of our bedrooms fit that description when it comes to colors. Your reflections give me hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so bad at execution though. I need hope to get it done.

      Delete
  5. A dark blue door would look very nice with your gray house. I have a hard time doing pops of color. I like everything to feel calm and neutral.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm happy for you that you have your son there to mow for you. We need to do some weed eating here. I love the color of the blue door. That gives me inspiration for our back door as it needs something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll be essential once I have surgery. My daughter's mowed for me last year.

      Delete
  7. We have a newly sided dark grey Colonial with black shutters and a bright red door.

    We still haven't replaced our original house numbers, but our town recently offered a discount on green reflective signs (vertical) that attach to your mailbox post. I deliver Meals on Wheels and I often struggle to find a house number when I'm driving around (the worst place is the over 55 communities where the house numbers are on the door, and people put wreaths or similar decorations right over them - not helpful in an emergency!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have numbers only in mail box. Many neighbors have on their garage peaks.

      Delete
  8. I like the calming look of the bedrooms. I miss my spare room that had a similar feel ( it's now the little one's bedroom). I still haven't got round to replacing my house number since it was re-rendered at least 18 months ago... I can't find one I like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need calm. My bedroom is chaos still.

      Delete
  9. That made me giggle, Sam! I was nodding in agreement when I saw the proposed colour of your front door - very classy, loving the chrome hardware on the second one - and shuddering at the grey interiors, you know me so well!
    I remember those lovely photos your husband had framed for you. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pictured the contrast to your house in my head! I live your house colors for you.

      Delete
  10. At first, I thought the door was black, but I do like the midnight blue door. I have wanted Tommy to paint the trim on his all-brick house black. Now, maybe the midnight blue? I would prefer the house numbers where they would show best on the house, wherever that might be.
    I have never been able to stand a grey room. But, that is me. I like a lighter blue or pink for calming. but not baby colors. I never have pops of color, just different softer shades to enhance the calmness. Grey is on the way out, I hear, not that I follow trends in my decorating. I mainly think grey is dreary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't see gray as dreary. I guess I'll be out of fashion but I don't care.

      Delete
  11. The blue front door is very attractive and classic. I like it. I'd do dark blue but my door is fake wood patterned steel. The house numbers look good on the door, but they should be readable from the street. A calming bedroom is nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They'd never be seen from street- too far back. It really would just be for design to put numbers there.

      Delete
  12. I do like the blue door but I wouldn’t put the house number on it. We have a white house with a grey door, I just couldn’t pull the trigger on a bold color. The front of the house gets full afternoon sun and the door can get quite hot to the touch even painted a lighter color. JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't seem to work for my house - numbers that is. I would get deep afternoon sun, but porch protects a bit.

      Delete
  13. I really do like the dark door. The bedroom looks good too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the paint colors you have chosen! I'm not big on lots of color, so our house has lots of white and tan, and while I know that's boring, it works for me. Haha! And yes, you should definitely make that a priority to get your bedroom done so you can enjoy a calm, serene environment for recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the door colour and the grey bedroom. Must be mellowing in my old age!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

If you comment anonymously, it'd be nice to have a name to go with the comment. It helps me string other people's comments and therefore their experiences together.

Popular posts from this blog

So Very Tired

Testing the Waters

Struggling in Year Two as a Widow