Dinner Past and Future

     The week was a mixed bag weather wise. Temps and conditions ranged from cool and rainy, warm, and rainy, cool but dry, and back to cool and rainy. Food was not weather based, but what I cobbled after a few quick stops, but not a full grocery restock. My son did a supply run too as we had run out of laundry soap and dishwasher tablets. That stuff adds up, so appreciated he shopped. 

Sunday- Planning ahead a few days because I was helping with childcare for my great nephews, I made both dal and rice, and items for burritos/ burrito bowls. I was able to send food for both my daughter's lunches on Monday. 

Monday - Intended leftovers for son and daughter who stayed with dogs and brought her dog to daycare in the morning. 

Tuesday - Work was crazy busy after a long commute from my nieces after dropping kids off, to a full morning meeting, then home to get on multiple back to back meetings. I had to get dog from doggie daycare. Supper needed to be easy, so a bit of fend for yourself plus I had some peppers and onions getting past their prime so cooked them up. I had a mess of baby carrots and hummus and chicken nuggets found in the freezer. My son had eaten a late lunch early supper of leftover dal, but later had late supper with the peppers and onions and a black bean chipotle burger in a wrap. 

Wednesday- I did two top up shops over the weekend,  one of which included a big pack of chicken drumsticks. I coated them in a sort of homemade shake and bake, served with long grain and wild rice and steamed vegetables. 

Thursday- Finally made Chicken tortellini Alfredo soup, and that is now gone from the freezer. I saved three drumsticks for the soup, and son had the other leftovers drumsticks for his lunch. 

Friday- My son was at my daughter's so I had a girl's dinner, hummus and cucumber, toast, and a couple clementines.  

Saturday - Whatever my son found to eat as his dinner. He had bought good deli ham and provolone when he shopped so might have done tomato soup and grilled sandwich. We had my daughter's dog while she helped her friend with the vegan food truck, and he hung out with dogs and I went my sister's. She was hosting a derby party. I brought an appetizer as did others and she pizza burgers. 

     I plan to run to Aldi after church and plan for the week in the fly. We're promised great weather and it's a hectic week, so I'm thinking simple and fresh meals like the following- several Pioneer Women linked recipes. My daughter also brought leftovers from the food truck so those will be consumed.

  • Pork chops and sweet potatoes with apples
  • Grilled chicken over greens with garlic bread
  • Fajitas with loads of veg, black bean and corn salsa/ salad
  • Chickpea salad ( I'll need to have meat and cheese and crusty bread to fill up son but this looks so good), I'll also probably thow sliced avocado too. 
  • Crockpot pasta prima vera
  • The still not made Asparagus Risotto 
  • Vegetable flatbread pizza and salad
  • Enchilada Verde also looks really yummy.
     I'll look at other blogs for ideas too. I'm just tired of heavy meals for a bit, so focusing on lighter fare perhaps. How about on your table? 


Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing the enchilada Verde recipe. That sounds really good, so I'll be sure and try it in the next week or two. This year's Asparagus has been delicious here. Enjoy your Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to try this week too. I really am down to minimal ingredients in the house though.

      Delete
  2. Risotto is great for throwing in whatever leftover veg you are trying to use up. Same with grits... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only had grits cooked by real Southerners that I've like.

      Delete
  3. It's getting hot here so this means more salads and cold pasta dishes - and light white wines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cheat and but bottled Italian dressing, but cold roasted veg with pasta and light dressing is so good.

      Delete
  4. Chili in the crockpot at our place. It's been raining & damp, so the chili hit the spot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We enjoy chili year round. The crockpot is such a great year round kitchen help.

      Delete

Post a Comment

If you comment anonymously, it'd be nice to have a name to go with the comment. It helps me string other people's comments and therefore their experiences together.

Popular posts from this blog

Testing the Waters

Floundering Financially

On Having Things to Look Forward To