Two Adult Cooking for A Bit

     With cooking for two most nights, I'll get more variety. My son is a pretty big and healthy eater. I think we'll do a lot of chicken, plus fish for him occasionally. I'll do a lot of curry, pasta, and rice dishes, planning leftovers for lunches. We both like variety in seasonings and spices. He likes eggs both omelettes and as part of breakfast sandwiches or burritos. I'll pick up bacon and sausage when on sale to add flavor and a bit more protein but also add veggies like spinach and mushrooms. I'll make up both breakfast sandwiches and breakfast burritos in couple day increments whenever prepared for grab and go as his schedule might be very last minute. 

     It'll be similar to last winter when he stayed to help and then during the strike periods last summer. I have a planned budget I'd like to stick to- with two of us to cook, we can share the efforts and avoid expensive convenience foods. Neither of us are picky eaters, plus he's happy to eat vegan and vegetarian meals so when my daughters join, he'll still be satisfied. My youngest isn't vegan or vegetarian but prefers meals without or less meat. 

Just to break up the words. A simple lunch.

He got here Tuesday and I had thought through some meals ahead.

  • Monday- I just made boxed Mac and cheese and broccoli for myself 
  • Tuesday- Take and bake pizza
  • Wednesday- Penne pasta with sauce with mushrooms, spinach, and zucchini
  • Thursday- Chili with rice and toppings
  • Friday- Seasoned and breaded pork chops, roasted sweet potatoes, broccoli 
  • Saturday-Vegetarian Lasagna, salad
  • Sunday- Vegetable and chickpea masala with basmati rice

     We might do a Sam's run with a stop at Trader Joe's and the Indian grocery store with a big stock up, but if not, I'll go to Aldi. While I ran there to supplement a few things, I simply can't afford with my new budget to be doing regular shopping at the local Coborns except loss leaders and a few store brands ( which provide gas rewards). Because of that, tonight and tomorrow might be subject to change, but I want to use up items that have lingered a while like chicken, pork chops, and stuffing mix. Most will yield plenty of lunch leftovers. Overtime, I might double and stick half in freezer for an easy reheat. 

     I'll work on a meal plan to keep using up items, and restock with items for our preferences and health benefits, lots of vegetables, whole grains, and pulses, plus chicken and fish when on sale. I need to buy individual serving size microwave safe store and go for his lunches. It's been nice cooking with and for others the last few days. 


Comments

  1. I definitely enjoy cooking for 2+ more than cooking for one, so sounds like this will give you a chance to have more variety. I just menu planned for the week as well, but the teens & I will be out of town this weekend (final college tour!) while DH is at home. After that, the week will come together in sporadic fashion, I'm sure. I know I'll make chicken curry one night, and we will have a dish from the freezer, plus leftovers.
    (Hawaii Planner)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last night I could add different items because I knew they'd get eaten. I'll be going through a lot of fruit and veggies.

      Delete
  2. I would love a good chicken curry recipe if you have one. In all my years of cooking have yet to have success with either chicken curry or tika masala. (Well, once with the latter, but that was from a pouch a kid picked up off the clearance shelf for $0.50)
    In any case, enjoy this phase of cooking for two, Sam. I tend to think I would not really bother cooking for one. It strikes me as really difficult! In fact, with DD away at school, other kid commuting to class, another with an unpredictable schedule, and another I am lucky if I can count on two kids for dinner, which makes it difficult for me to plan portion size. I find it easier to cook for 6 than two or three. Also, I have created a wasteful kitchen lately which distresses me. It seems leftovers have developed a nasty habit of going bad in the refrigerator!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No recipe - just sort of make a curry sauce from broth, tomatoes, yogurt or coconut milk, and lots of curry powder. Usually cooking veg and chickpeas in broth. I haven't made much with chicken, usually just vegetables and chick peas. You'd have better luck with Google. I was trying to cook for myself, with if course a lot of repeated meals. Often supper was just fruit, yogurt and toast.

      Delete
  3. I'm a bit behind with commenting but how lovely to have your lad back with you. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is- lovelier once he feels he's back on some sort of track.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you have some great ideas for yummy meals, and I'm sure it has been good to cook with and for others. I get into a meal planning rut sometimes where I can't think of anything I want to cook or eat.
    Hope you have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those ruts are tough because for me, laziness and expensive choices take the place.

      Delete
  5. Those all sound delicious and it's so nice that your children will eat vegan meals and don't need the meat as much. It's just such a healthy way to eat and live. I'm glad you mentioned spinach, I used mine up yesterday and just now added it to my grocery list, so thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all like throwing spinach in so many dishes. I keep frozen chopped spinach in the freezer.

      Delete
  6. You are certainly optimistic about meals, more so than posts before this one. All your ideas sound great, especially the breakfast foods made beforehand. It is good he is not picky and a hearty eater. It sounds like your plans are going to work for all your children when home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just get bored eating same things- wouldn't do chicken day after day, especially the same way, by choice. Then I end up with loads of freezer containers.

      Delete

Post a Comment

If you comment anonymously, it'd be nice to have a name to go with the comment. It helps me string other people's comments and therefore their experiences together.

Popular posts from this blog

Testing the Waters

Floundering Financially

On Having Things to Look Forward To