WIS in the Week, September 5th, 2026

         Life is expensive these days and this past week was no exception. Hold your wallets because this week was a money explosion above and beyond static expenses. I know I help out my kids, my youngest in particular, a lot. I can afford to in the overall allocation of my resources; I'm supporting in ways that make a difference in their lives today, not after I'm gone. Yes, my fall is really going to be expensive, but knowing my kids have safe homes, cars, and health care, is good for my well being. I try using my resources wisely and my kid's don't ask me for financial help. It's my prerogative to offer or just cover an expense. But, I confirmed lack of planning isn't a good financial strategy.

 I'm tracking my variable, discretionary spending to get a better grip on any spending that isn't adding value or giving peace of mind. While boring blog content, it'll give me a good view of where my money is going,  not necessarily a challenge. Here's What I Spent, WIS, in the last week, rounded up to nearest dollar.

Saturday: $449

Charge came through today for the tune up items and oil change for my youngest's car. She's stretched mentally and financially with her move and I budget for car costs.

Sunday:$255

I bought Thai food and later sandwiches for the moving and cleaning crew at daughters apartment. I picked up and paid for her meds on the sandwich run.

There's still chaos and job orders not completed at the new apartment. We switched cars and I took daughters cars home with me while others finished clearing the old. I noticed her gas tank was quite low so filled up. She's going to stay here off and on this week and next as they hold off setting up bedrooms until complete, plus they both really need to purge as they unpack...yes, should have been done before moving. See what I mean about lack of planning is expensive! At least two trips probably could have been avoided had they purged ahead.

Monday: $67

My car needed a top off of gas $46, plus I needed just a few fresh things, plus sausages were on sale so two packages were added to the freezer $21.

Tuesday: $602
 
I prepaid with tip for 20 weeks, technically 22 because after 9 there's a free day, of doggie daycare. This was holdover from my one office day a week. I use the day now to do out of town errands or projects that are more difficult with the big dog, plus this gives him a very needed socalization day to run and play with other dogs. There's a long back story to this but I feel grandpup was my husband's dog as much as my daughters, so gladly share care of him. Here's a case though where planning saves nearly $5 a session if we just paid week to week.

I also used the McDonalds app for free medium fries and a McChicken for a late lunch. Not the best choice, but needed something easy on route.

Wednesday: $7

My butt stayed home other than walking dogs. I paid all my regular bills yesterday so used the day for a  checkbook review and plan for the month ahead. However, I ordered a two pack of replacement remotes as one has disappeared, likely thrown by accident in a haphazard attempt at purging, and for over a year I've been sharing between two rooms. I like putting YouTube on in the background when working in rooms. Yes, I have more televisions than any human should.

Thursday: $93

I was completely out of laundry soap and know I have a lot of laundry and cleaning to get done. I needed chickpeas for a curry, wet dog food to get to next Tuesday, more cat litter since I'm a crazy cat lady for the long weekend, and wanted diet Coke. The rest jumped into my cart. $67. Ordered panini's for my son and me as we met about some financial and condo business and had an outside meeting. $26

Friday: $0

I'm hoping for a no spend weekend especially after getting any gaps filled Thursday.

Saturday: $0

I went to my sisters for an early Labor Day weekend cookout. and brought along food from ingredients I had at home, chicken salad ( pasta kind with grapes and apples) and some oreo cookie bars from a box mix bought ages ago.

Grand Total: for the week $1,473

     I'm promising myself the rest of the month will not be like this past week. I say that but life will happen. The frequency of take out meals was highly unusual and inspite of two big expenses, was still 1/4 of my spending. That is not my norm at all as I can see from looking at past weeks. Seeing the anomolies and understanding why and where they fit is part of why I'm tracking for a bit.

I added this Saturday as I'm going to move my tracking Sunday to Saturday, so this was an 8 day spending summary. I often use Sunday or early Monday as life admin days, so a real calendar week aligns a bit better. If you track, were you on or off plan in your spending? 




Comments

  1. I like to listen to YouTube in the background when I’m doing tasks too. My expenses were high last week too as the first of the month is when 8 have all the bills scheduled to pay. Hopefully the rest of the month calms down for both of us.
    Belinda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn’t even share regular bills, utilities, insurance etc. that get paid on the 1st of the month because I have no discretion on those so can't really make different choices. This week should be stable, but I should knock on wood.

      Delete
  2. My middle son’s phone , the son with the sometimes severe mental health issues, went on the blink and could not be revived, so I purchased him a phone. For various reasons I chose an iPhone and it was not cheap . He has to stay in contact with his counselors, etc. and me so a new phone was a necessity. Did it have to be an iPhone? Well no but I did it anyway for my peace of mind. I also got insurance, a new protective case , etc. So yes, I totally get spending to help grown kids. They are our kids and we do not have them to toss them aside bc they have problems when they are grown. I would not worry about what anyone says . They are not paying your bills. We do what we feel we need to do as a parent. Virtual hugs. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We share a phone plan to keep everyone's touch lower, but iPhone, even older ones, are expensive. Communication is a necessity and I understand the need to trust the pho e you bought.

      Delete
  3. You know, some weeks are just that way. Your frugal efforts at other times help fund these kind of weeks. Your kids are lucky to have a mom who has a good head on her shoulders and can afford to help right now. I have done the same sort of thing. We all lean on someone, sometimes. I still let two of my grown folk share my family plan for T-Mobile because it helps them out, and they pay their own portion. And I m not above buying a sack of groceries and schlepping it over to them, mostly so I can make sure I get to hug their neck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Picking up groceries is a biggie for me. I was helped by parents, perhaps differently, but helped as an adult just the same. We were a two income family and received babysitting help on a few days neither of us could miss work. I'm not doing any babysitting as none have kids.

      Delete
  4. Things come up and we just have to deal with them. If your family is like mine, the kids will inherit at some point so you might as well help them along if needed while you can enjoy time with them.
    You have caused me to start tracking my discretionary spending as well, though I am not counting groceries (other than splurge purchases) or gas because those fall into the necessary category to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know groceries and gas are necessities, but I feel since I'm retired, it's my discretion what and how much I buy, and how and why I go through gas. As I'm not no or low spending, its more just information gathering. Yes, my kids will inherit what I leave behind as well. Ensuring her car is safe today is better to me than her having the funds in some furure unknown year.

      Delete
  5. I help my kids out quite a bit too but you're right, they need the help now more than after I'm dead. Plus, in the end, the empty hole where the money used to be replenishes itself over time. That being said, I'm helping my oldest out with car problems shortly - and then I'm going to whack him over the head with a big stick because he's an idiot with money. Thankfully the newish girlfriend has calmed him down one helluva lot! Takes a girl I guess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My middle child, who was always so good with money, has been silly buying the last six months. She's going to do the tracking thing too and see where her habits have gone off. The oldest and youngest are both so broke income wise after paying bills, a big expense hurts them much more than it impacts me. I dont want them dipping into long term savings.

      Delete
  6. As I walk down your list of expenses, the bulk is gifts to your children rather than personal expense so you're meeting your intent of helping them now :-)

    Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, and as I said, I share responsibility for grandpup. My husband loved that dog and bonded with him when she adopted him. I appreciate the affirmation that my spending, from what Ive shared, mostly aligns with my priorities.

      Delete
  7. Some weeks are just spendy spendy. I think you are an amazing lady and you do so much for your family. 😊 Wishing you a week of lighter expenses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Car should be good and can't think of what else, but knock on wood.

      Delete
  8. I totally get and support helping adult kids now instead of them waiting to get an inheritance. They need help now! (I have some of that going on in my life right now.) And yes, life IS expensive right now, even if one is a careful, frugal spender.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny, funds, not huge amounts, that husband and I received from his grandma and my parents helped with paying off the mortgage early and start a safety net. It's part of why my COL is low enough that I can help my kids now. Generational "wealth" is not taken for granted.

      Delete
  9. I had to chuckle at your more tv's than any human should have. We do too but I have to say I enjoy them in the background while working through the house. When we have unexpected expensive weeks, I just remind myself that is why we save. Have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely a great reason to save other weeks. As for testing, its not like I'm going to move room to room.

      Delete
  10. Stinko. Just as soon as you/we feel good 'something happens'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know car care happens, so hopefully funds are there the next time. There's always a next time.

      Delete
  11. Somehow missed this post yesterday. Just wanted to add that I agree with others, helping our adult kids is important and the loving thing to do. I don't have kids, but I do this for my niece and nephew, my sister's (who passed away) kids. They are mine too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister is such a help to any of my nieces and nephews, but has really supported my one nieces after my BIL died in 2012 abd sister nearly two years later. Even though she was almost 40, she still needed a parenting figure.

      Delete
  12. I just said that outloud to someone - what age do parents stop being parents? I think never, within reason. You're an awesome mom. I will always need mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the answer is never. Money help is nothing...I struggle with the hard life stuff in balancing support without interference.

      Delete

Post a Comment

If you comment anonymously, it'd be nice to have a name to go with the comment. It helps me string other people's comments and therefore their experiences together.

Popular posts from this blog

It's Worse Than I Imagined

Home Found

Testing the Waters