WIS in the Week, September 26, 2026
I'm tracking my variable, discretionary spending through October, giving me a quarterly glance at where my variable expenses are costing me. However, I think this will be the last I post as its a fair sample to give anyone assessing insight. Perhaps I'll summarize at the end of October any spending tweaks I plan long term based on what I see in trends and patterns. The intent would be to make positive changes that will support my financial health and goals to live healthy and with intention, while not missing out on good experiences. Here's WIS, in the last week, rounded up to nearest dollar.
Sunday: $0
My son was going to be back very late, so my daughter and I went for a play and cuddle with his cats and to refill water and food bowls. She had joined me for lunch and to see her grandma.
Monday: $0
Mom's bookclub was tonight. I made an apple cinnamon bread using a cake mix and a lone apple to bring with ingredients already at home.
Thursday: $20
Visited my MIL at the care center. I brought her the things she wanted to be more comfortable, including a tie blanket my daughter had made her 20 years ago. I washed it first so it would be fresh and fluffy. Before leaving town, I stopped to buy my last few years "traditional" birthday gift of a road trip snack bag for my brother. I spent $20 give or take on a mix of grab and go snack items and beverages. I went to my Thursday grief group and once home, I stayed up until the dogs settled.
Friday: $0
No spend day but a lot of running around to feed my sisters cats and spoil them with treats, and two times, a couple hours each, at the transition care to visit with and followup on things needing tweaking for her recovery. My SIL needed a much deserved day away after four long days at the hospital then overseeing the transfer.
Saturday: $58
More running errands including feeding cars, watering plants at MIL's and stopping for a visit. I ordered another pack of doggie diapers for pup.$14, and these were on sale so saved $2. I spent $44 exactly on dinner out for my brother's birthday (entree, tip, no drinks as I felt dehydrated all day $$$) and before he leaves later this week to return to Florida.
Grand Total: for the week:$181
I can see a few things popping up, like unplanned eating out along with planned outings. There's also a few no spend days which often pair with not using any gas in my car as well, but not this week with the extra trips to my sisters and for MIL. I'll need to look backwards at the end of October to see what other habits I either just embrace or attempt to modify.
Looks like you have a good handle on spending though. Three days of no spend is great!
ReplyDeleteWow! I'm impressed!!! I like your thinking ahead to looking back at the end of October to see what practices/habits you tweak.
ReplyDeleteGreat handling of spending! I have been limiting yself to free water more often when I eat out. Not sure if you are still working on your "other blogs you'd like" list, but I can't open the link on my Macbook or Iphone.
ReplyDelete