WIS in the Week, September 19, 2026

      I'm tracking my variable, discretionary spending through October, giving me a quarterly glance at where my variable expenses are costing me.It's meant as a view of where my money is going,  not necessarily a challenge, but I hope to find trends and habits that emerge that might not be beneficial to my overall fiscal goals. I dont put my regularly scheduled charitable donations here either as for now, I treat them as part of regular bills just like insurance or utilities. While discretionary, unless it's for an event, a purchase, or one off you wont see in my tracking. Here's WIS, in the last week, rounded up to nearest dollar.

Sunday: $57

 I met a friend for a visit and walk not too far from my sons and stopped at Trader Joe's for us both. $39 I dropped off a few things at his place and visited the cats ( He was working and knew I was coming.) I also met my daughter and dropped off two big bags of the cat litter she orders through Chewey, sent to my house, as she had porch pirate issues in her last place.

I had made a big pot of chicken noodle soup earlier and brought some to my MIL and took care of a few things for her, including trying to get a spill cleaned. I ordered more shampoo for my Little Green cleaner and will bring that over to better clean the area. The dog bags that come each month were shipped too ( and charged) $18

Monday: $157

I filled up the car when I met my daughter for the dog. $57

Pouring rain most of the day so walks with the dogs were with umbrellas. I checked on my MIL, cleaned a few dishes, and watered her plants. I had brought her soup Sunday night,  but she hat heated up some a friend had brought last Thursday. I later met former coworkers for a very affordable Happy Hour and spent $20.

I paid for my seat at an AAUW fundraiser dinner next month. $80. 

Tuesday: $7

Today was my MILs surgery consult. My BIL was bringing her, but I went over to help her get a sponge bath, dressed, and hair brushed. 

On my way home, I stopped at KwikTrip to cherry pick a few in store specials and bananas. $7

My daughter worked from home and had an electrician coming as her outlets weren't working in her 126 year old kitchen. She was going to take the next few days off, so the dogs and I went to her. She made us dinner. I hadn't been to her house in ages, and shes done a bit of revamping spaces. 

Wednesday: $0

 No spending today. I brought my MIL goulash made with tomatoes from my daughters garden for dinner, which I had as well at home. I cleaned up a few things and ran her dishwasher. 

Thursday: $0

Another no spending day. I helped my MIL for a while and her hair dresser did a house call for a wash cut, blow dry and style. Later I  went to session 2 of the grief group, so no other spending. 

Friday: $ 11 I needed some crusty bread to make garlic toast to go with TJ spinach artichoke dip for  Saturday,  then cherry picked a couple deals. I found ground turkey clearanced and will make a stash of meatballs and navy beans for ham and bean soup over the coming week/ next weekend.

Saturday: $0

Met Blogger friend April from Small Moments of Great Reward ( and her husband) for lunch as she was in Minnesota this weekend. She's just terrific and so happy it worked out to meet. They so kindly treated me.

I stopped to see MIL and do a few tasks. My SIL who had been on a trip the last week is back abd will be there Sunday. She'll bring her to surgery Monday.

Saturday night was family book club, to which I brought the afore mentioned garlic toast and dip.

Grand Total: for the week $232

     My freezer has gotten quite full with various proteins bought on sale or reduced with all the cherry picking. My baking supplies and vegetables is where my grocery funds should go the rest of the month. I'm hoping to be back to fully cooking from my own stashes without running to the store, and having homemade ready meals in the freezer for when I don't feel like cooking. I've still got a huge supply of odds and end cleaning supplies I'm trying to use up. Tracking spending is helping me see leaks, but also helping me think whether it's an expense I want recorded, so less likely to throw money away. I'm obviously still spending on entertainment, eating out, and other non necessities, but am maybe a tad more intentional. 

    




Comments

  1. A stash of meatballs sounds like a good thing to have on hand for easy dinners. I am also trying to use up things before I buy new - case in point is lotions and soap.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

If you comment anonymously, it'd be nice to have a name to go with the comment. It helps me string other people's comments and therefore their experiences together.

Popular posts from this blog

It's Worse Than I Imagined

Home Found

Testing the Waters