WIS in the Week Ending September 12, 206
I'm going to continue to track my variable, discretionary spending through October as a full quarter of the year seems will be more representational than an ad hoc month. I'm listing What I Spend, WIS, as a way to get a better grip on any spending that isn't adding value or giving peace of mind. The past four weeks was an interesting start and a few patterns emerged I'd like to change. I know its dull blog content and highly personal, no universal guide intended on how anyone else should spend their funds. It's meant as a view of where my money is going, not necessarily a challenge. Here's WIS, in the last week, rounded up to nearest dollar.
Sunday:$ 23
Realized with my shopping last Thursday, I didn't account for a couple meals I wanted to make if my daughter was still here for the week or even part of the week, nor breakfast for her. $23
Monday: $0
Went no where, spent nothing.
Thursday: $20
My MIL had a bad fall on Tuesday and will be requiring surgery, but hasn't yet met with surgery consult. I spent a few hours with her and brought flowers and candy. $20.
Later, I went to session one of a grief group; I'm going to try to help process life, or at least perhaps gain a few coping skills. There was no cost other than emotion tax and gas to drive the 18 miles to and from.
Friday: $28
No big dog so a very quiet day. I took a long walk over to the hardware store with the small garden center and looked at fall plants. I looked at paint cards too as soon it'll be good weather for the painting of the door, porch, and garage door trim. I'll be checking in with my MIL Saturday and Sunday since her kids are booked with travel or kids sports, and happy to do so.
Later, joined my siblings and their husbands for dinner at a restaurant in one of the tiny towns nearby. $28
Saturday: $6
No spending on this, but used a good amount of gas bringing my daughters laundry and her cats to her new place. She picked up hours staffing a family day at her last job, so was easier for them to stay here rather than her back tracking again. She stayed on staff as a temp casual environmental educator/ naturalist and could use the money.
Later, I visited my MIL, heated up her dinner that had been provided by my SIL a few days before, and did a few dishes and tasks. She had others visitors during the day, so was getting tired after she ate so I didn't stay too long. She did not want anything sweet, but I was thinking milkshake all day, so bought a strawberry shake ($6) on my way home and that was my dinner. Not the best meal, but if I give into indulgences on occasion, I seem to eat better overall.
Grand Total: for the week $175 (-$17)
It was a much lower spend week than last, but because I was pretty stocked up and nothing big came up. The week was still chaotic, usally is when my youngest is involved; she leaves a path of clutter in any room she's in! But, it's also been nice actually having someone to cook for and eat with. She's made good use of my leftovers for her lunches as well. Though honestly, as much as I love her, her getting settled in her place is good for us both. If you track, did you have any surprises? Do you see any trends you'd like to change or are you satisfied where you spend?
Good for you for going to the grief group. We have a local one here that is well regarded-several friends have spoken highly of it. My MIL attended one after my FIL died and dated a man she met there until she passed away. I smiled as I read the comments about your daughter. Although we live on opposite ends of the country now, we are very close. She works remotely and we still see each other for a week at a time every other month. I love when she comes home, but the mother daughter dynamic can be …interesting at times.
ReplyDeleteWell see how it lands for me. TonightcIll set aside time for the participant guide exercises. My dsughters and I are close, butcwexall need our space and have our preferences in how we lije our spaces managed. She and are just different that way.
DeleteI also smiled as I read the comments about your daughter. When my older son and DIL visit and stay with us I love it and then I recover after they leave. Blogger is not updating my blog feed but I'm still trying to check in on other blogs.
ReplyDeleteIt's a big exhale some days. And, I know I bother her after longer periods of time.
Deletethis week was quarterly taxes and Someone needs new spectacles - three of them. Oh the pain.
ReplyDeleteUgh, new glasses are so expensive. My last ones, for regular and prescription sun glasses, were over $600.
DeleteThe biggest surprise spending this week? Milk down to $2.39/gallon NOT on sale--lowest I've seen it in years!! This was a pricier week than usual around here (and we're pretty much a no-spend household) so I am just telling myself it's okay, it's okay.
ReplyDeleteThats a great price but how I'd use a full gallon would be the puzzle. Yes, some weeks just expand financially. I consolidate my regular bills on the first of the month usually so then the rest of the month I see the varying costs of my life.
DeleteOther than paying utilities it was a no spend week here. Didn't leave all week - I like those weeks.
ReplyDeleteHave to keep checking on blogs - blogger is being such a pain lately.
You're such a great mom! And glad you could get some time at the grief group. Hopefully your MIL's surgery goes successfully, glad she has a lot of folks to support her during this time.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry to hear about your MILs fall, and hope the surgery & recovery goes well. I adore having DS19 home, but he is an absolute whirlwind of social events, messes, clutter, etc. It's fun in smaller doses. ;-) If he was home permanently again, we would definitely have to compromise on the state of our house. - Hawaii Planner
ReplyDeleteI am sorry bout your MIL's fall. That can be scary.
ReplyDeleteYou have inspired me to keep a track of my personal spending. I am not sharing it publicly but it was a little eye opening. I had several large (well at least large for me) purchases this last week and the total kind of shocked me. None of them will be repeated in the near future but it was still a shock.