Friday Fiscal Wellness Check. September 4. 2026

                                             


         
     For my Friday posts, I copy a previous week, delete the old and update as I go along the week. This helps me add as the week goes on. Here's my recap of Friday, August 28 to Thursday, September 3. I just sort of list things as they come up. I know my WIS is somewhat redundant but my Fridays are a more overall check into how I'm doing in terms of financial wellness instead of daily tracking each expense. 

Use it Up/Avoid Waste
  • As my daughter stayed here, I sent her leftovers to work for her lunches.
Avoiding Spending/Saving on needs 
  • Got a credit on a shirt that I decided was smaller than I like for the cruise but the vendor didn't want it sent back. The shirt will work for my sister so eill pass on to her, who wasn't happy with the fit she ordered. She was able to send her original back. Funny how sometimes they don’t bother and other times they do with returns.
  • Prepaid 5 months of doggie daycare for a savings per session.
  • Cherry picked a few loss leaders when I shopped for a few specific items needed for the weekend.

Opportunities to add Funds/Windfalls 

  • Entered receipts in Fetch, played MS Rewards. I did a couple of Saga surveys. 
  • This was for my daughter, but I helped her do some longer budgeting and then renewing her relatively sizeable CD. She'll earn over $1,000 in interest before next maturity date. 

 Non-Thrifty or Frugal

  • My daughters car needed more than just an oil change. I still include somethimg for her car in my budget while she's been figuring out her career path with apprenticeships and various certificate programs to enhance her skills, but with very low pay. Still, $449 was a hefty chunk but gives me peace she's in a safer car.

Then, there are often other things that impacted my check book that came up without much planning or notice, an extra optional or necessary expense, or an all-out splurge.

  • I picked up and paid for the Thai food and sandwiches. My daughter's roomates parents generously used their truck for my daughters bed and a few other bigger things that would have been a struggle in my crossover. 
  • I met my son to review and figure out a few things condo/financial related. I ordered dinner for us before a meeting so we could save time. 

  Daily Dinner Diary (Friday 8/28 to Thursday, 9/3). 

Fri -  Roasted beef and pepper jack sandwich on a bun, baked potato soup at my sisters

Sat- Toast, handfull of Totinos pizza rolls

Sun-  Pad Thai then later Paneara sandwich

Mon- Chicken chow mein, from a can, crispy noodles, rice  ( I specifically bought for a night my youngest would be here as its a convenience food favorite of hers she will rarely buy.)

Tues-  Homemade tomato, onion, and zuchini sauce over penne pasta

Weds- Frozen supreme pizza

Thur- Crockpot curry ( both daughters here whiIe had a meeting) basmati rice, panini for son and me on the fly 

Leftovers/ Added to Freezer:

  • No leftovers as they were eaten by myself or daughters.

          At the risk of criticsm, I've been having a few down, mentally and physically overwhelmed, days. Pups having more nights that he can't settle, my daughters move has been much more stressful than it should and is leaking into chaos here. She's got some out of pocket medical expenses that I'll help her with; funds are available but she's anxious and that hits me. Financially, I'm stable and managing my fiscal game plan without stress. Despite an expensive week, with the exception of so much take out and extra car expenses, I'm good with my fiscal wellness. Money management feels like an area I can handle when the parts of life that are supposed to be soft get hard. How was your week? 

Edit: My comments aren't posting on other blogs and apparently others can't post here. I've tried all the problem solving Google has found to no avail. I'm going to sit on this for a bit as my frustration has reached  peak.

  

Comments

  1. You're absolutely entitled to have some "down" days. You've been going through a lot and while we tend to power through, when things get a little easier, that's probably when we crack a little! And yes I was having problems posting comments too but assumed it was from my end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogger must have fixed the issue. Thank you for the kind and supportive words. That bout of mean comments pretending to be helpful a few mobths back really did me in. I've had some weird trolling/digs via comments at me too by a former blog reader sprinkled across other blogs, so hesitant to disclose other than benign bits.

      Delete
  2. I think we all have days when things just aren't right with us. I hope you start to feeling better soon. Life can get overwhelming sometimes. I am sorry you are feeling that now. Take care and hopefully you have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm just tired from pushes and pulls. The heat heading into September is draining my resiliency. This will pass.

      Delete
  3. Oh, my friend. I hope NO ONE criticizes you for your words about having a few down days. We ALL have those days, including those who lecture us for having them. I am currently coming through some tough days and the LEAST helpful/thoughtful comments were from those telling me I needed to lighten up, maybe not take on so much (Oh? So what do you suggest I jettison? Elderly father's needs? Volunteering at our local legal clinic? How about cooking and cleaning?) Hugs, dear Sam. Do and FEEL what YOU need to do and feel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As always, your kindness us appreciated. Diwn days dont mean I'm down and out, but am looking forward to some resolution and normalcy, or the feeling of normalcy.

      Delete
  4. I understand those days when we don't feel like ourselves. i think many of us have days like that, unfortunately. I'm so glad Blogger is working again. Time to catch up on everyone's blogs. I help Bailey with bigger car expenses like that too. Makes me feel better, like you said, that she is driving a safe car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She works hard and is in a job that makes huge differences to tbecquality of life and the environment, but ridiculously low pay for the qualifications and experience expected. But, she's building a strong resume and right now, her schedule is a good one for her to look at more options.

      Delete
  5. I added a comment, but it disappeared. I'm sorry it's been a rough phase. I've found myself going through waves of more anxiety than usual. In my case, likely hormone related, but quite unpleasant just the same. I hope you get a chance to refresh & recharge this weekend, and spend time on quiet things that bring you pleasure! - Hawaii Planner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The three kids are going to be working Sunday and Monday at the laje on a project. I'll have all 6 pets...4 cats, two dogs. I csnt help but be filled with goid with so much unconditional love around me. I hope your days of anxiousness pass as well.

      Delete
  6. Day to day life can be hard at times, and it should be ok for you to post about it. I'm sorry you've had unwarranted criticism for that. It looks like you've been doing well on the meals, enjoy them with your kids and family. That's what matters. I hope you can relax some over this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was mostly one commenter who then double downed, but a few a few unsolicited emails, one recommending "quit blogging and get therapy" ...and in the senders mind, she genuinely thought she was being helpful. I also get the emails criticizing my politics. So be it.

      Delete
  7. OH YEAH... days after days and then think... it turned around only to wash, rinse and repeat. I'm still dealing with the $17,000 repair bill of basement and now the tractor PTO hose broke TWICE $200 each time and my fibromyalgia and cereal palsy decided to play with each ON top of Charlotte being through the roof with the thunderstorms we were getting nightly. IF she can't sleep, neither can I. Meds didn't help this past 2 rounds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like individually you've managed each issue but on top of each other is just so much. That's how Im feeling. 1-2, can handle even if nit pleasant. By hut 3 and 4, getting weary, after that, I feel hopeless. But, things still need to be done and no one else will fix.

      Delete
  8. I think we can just expect down days as we go - I like to tell myself, this won't last forever. And it doesn't. But while it does, it feels big. It sounds to me like you've got a good handle on finances and are setting a good example, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not that I'm flush with funds, but throwing money at an issue seems doable. Im ready for the heat to be done. I coukd not live south of Iowa before December!

      Delete
  9. Down days happen. I am pretty sure they happen to everyone.
    Your blog is just that__yours, and you can post anything you want to without apology.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anne. No more dwelling on things I can't change and focus where I might have influence or effect.

      Delete
  10. being unable to leave comments is quite frustrating. I always enjoy reading about your daily doings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think all of Blogger/ Blogspot had issues. Its nice to have it fixed.

      Delete

Post a Comment

If you comment anonymously, it'd be nice to have a name to go with the comment. It helps me string other people's comments and therefore their experiences together.

Popular posts from this blog

It's Worse Than I Imagined

Home Found

Testing the Waters