Fall Habits
We've got some coolish weather and you'll not hear me complain. It's still warm and sunny at the peak of the day (other than yesterday's needed rain off and on all day), perfect for getting a natural vitamin D dose and a play with the dogs. I find when true fall weather starts, I get in a certain set of actions, or habits, most of which are good...but a few might need some tweaking.
- I'm back to the early afternoon walks again. The pavement is safe for the dog and I don't get drained from the fall sun like I do in hot weather. This will help me get a bonus 2,000 steps into my days.
- I'll make at least one pot of soup each week. Sunday was a soup using up odd vegetables, chicken, broth from the freezer, chicken and egg noodles. I guess it was a cross between chicken noodle and chicken vegetable. It was very good. I'm thinking chicken wild rice soon and I have the ham bone from Easter taking up room so maybe bean soup, though I need to get navy beans for that.
- I'm pulling dead stuff around the yard. I've been lazy about this, but the raspberry bush needs cutting back, the rhubarb, lettuce, garden bed etc. all are looking mangy. I'll probably just do bits at a time when out with the dogs rather than designated this as a project. So putting it in the fall habit category.
- I'm preplanning leading up to December and Christmas. However, I've decided to scale back much of what I've felt was needed in the past. This will be the start to outlining my calendar, finding activities or events I'd like to do, and be better organized to cherry pick "deals" to help with affordability. I'll shop less for gifts as just doing perhaps a small fun and then a practical gift for my kids, some spending cash, and making a significant long term saving deposit for each.
- I watch too much sports on TV, mainly football. Not just American football, but I'm getting vested in the Premiere League and European League as well. To be honest, there's probably Mexican league play as well that finds its way onto my screens. I find I need to be more intentional about doing tasks while games are on like laundry, cooking, fitting in dusting, managing email boxes, etc. so I feel semi productive.
- Putting on pajamas as early as possible, almost always by 9:00. Even if I take the dog for another outing with the head lamp, I'll just throw shoes and a sweatshirt on over the jams.
- Maybe its the school year start that makes me nostalgic and miss people I dont see very often, but I find I try and reach out to old friends in the fall, and if possible, get a meetup scheduled.
By December when it feels like we blink and the sunlight is gone, I'll start wistfully thinking of long days of summer. For now though, I embrace the changing season in all its coziness and freshness.


We are still in the 100's here and will be for a bit longer. I'm ready for Fall and Winter. I've started my fall cleaning this month and then we will tackle outside projects in October. By November I will be ready to hibernate for a few months, and I am looking forward to that. With Christmas we focus on celebrating with experiences and our family traditions more than gift giving and it works well with our family.
ReplyDeleteI hope we're done with that. Yesterday was beautiful and today promises the same- low 70's and bright sun for highs, dropping to 50's overnight. Since theres no young children in my immediate family, Im concentrating on experiences with my adult children.
Delete90's here all this week. Yesterday was a reprieve, but back to hot and humid. I like the cooler fall temps - it is so refreshing. I think doing more GC's here except the little ones this year.
ReplyDeleteI have few people to buy for so practical and a fun for my children ( thick and long beach towels, pribabky some basic tanjs/tees, underwear lol)and cash will work. I'm looking for theater or concert options too though, beyond December as gifts.
DeleteFall is my favorite season, and like you, I try to use it as a reset of personal habits. That includes less screen time, which I sometimes am very good at cutting back and sometimes, after a wearing time, it's "let's open YouTube and see what's on..." which is not inherently bad, but I can let it go on and on.
ReplyDeleteI get in the "one more" zone and then too much time has passed. I'll take this weeks weather, including Monday's rain, all year.
DeleteIt has been cool and every second day we are getting some rain. Not a problem as I am enjoying having the time to work on processing vegetables and my various projects.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.
My daughters butternut squash are soon ready and she has a lot to share! Ill need to prep some for freezer but we eat a lot as she uses with carrots in place of cheesy sauces.
DeleteI had to take my friend to the hospital for 6 am this morning for a routine out-patient procedure. I can tell you, while I love fall, getting up and showered in the dark was quite the shock to the system. Mind you, planning to make split pea soup later today will definitely make up for it. I love soup season!
ReplyDeleteI think of the school kids waiting in the dark for busses. Ive never made split pea soup...not sure I've had it either but I'm sure I'd like it unless it tastes like the mushy peas they serve in the UK. Hard pass, lol.
DeleteIt is still hot here and it looks like it is going to be hot for a bit longer. At least we are used to being miserably hot.
ReplyDeleteDefinitely not soup season yet but when it is I will be ready for it.
Your winter I think is our late fall temps so can imagine your still cooking in the heat. I may need to pick your brain, and my other southern friends, on possible snow bird locations if I go that route downsizing in the next 6-10 years.
DeleteSoup! Yes! I made a batch of leek and potato in the slow cooker and was grateful for it last night, two portions left as well!
ReplyDeleteI love potatoes in soup. Leeks are nit prevalent here but I'd give that a go.
DeleteI'm looking forward to cooler weather - it's going to be 70 here today, which is pretty much perfect for me in the fall. It also looks like it's cooled off tremendously at Zion for hiking, which sounds fabulous to me. - Hawaii Planner
ReplyDeleteThat's what we've had...such perfect temps. My daughter loved Zion in May two years ago. Enjoy.
DeleteWhat a lovely rundown of your fall habits, I recognize the shift to going to bed early and making more soup all too well! I also think it's smart how you consciously try to stay productive while watching sports, that's a really good habit to have. Enjoy the cooler weather and all that coziness!
ReplyDeleteI put pj's on but don't necessarily go to bed early. I should though but pup needs to go out at least one more time after 11. I repeat myself but I love fall cozy.
Delete