WIS Last Week 8/8/26
Between August and mid-October, I have so, so many big ticket bills coming due and then it's rolling into the holidays. While cash is there, I'll still release a silent gasp when paying. I'm tracking my variable, discretionary spending to get a better grip. This will be boring navel gazing blog content, but you're welcome to gaze along. This will not include the regular bills required to maintain my life and home like utilities, insurance, and taxes.
After my Sam's Club run, I've minimally shopped since July 21st, and plan to keep this up; short of loss leaders or exceptionally low deals, I'll buy just what's needed each week. I'm putting this plan to other discretionary spending too. If not already planned, I'm going to clutch my purse closed ( as best I can in the moment.)
I got off to a frugal bang for this accountability starting on the first. Sunday, I did a meal planning possibility list and a calendar/ activity review for August. I'll be plenty busy, but not too busy, and can choose options for entertainment that don't blow my plan. I had a nice week though, enjoying good company, pleasant activities, and nice meals. Here's my accounting of What I Spent (WIS).
Saturday: Paying the regular bills (and credit card from July), was enough of a jolt to spend nothing on Saturday. Entertainment was reading, a walk and chat with my neighbor, and started watching the Season 3 US Traitors on Peacock. $0
Sunday:$1.85 round to $2.00
I really needed a brisk walk as with pup, it's not much exercise unless he's in the stroller. Finding cooked ground pork, onions, and peppers in the freezer, a sort of goulash sounded good for Monday but I had no canned tomatoes. I'm enjoying my sparse crop of my home grown ones fresh so by foot, off to the store I went. I treated myself to a huge can of Arnold Palmer lite which was on sale along with the store brand diced tomatoes as a reward for walking and drank over two days. Entertainment was a needed nap as I had a rare headache the previous night and didn't sleep well. Later, another walk and chat with neighbor.
Local grocery store:
![]() |
| Sunday's big haul plus my tomatoes and daughters zucchini. |
- Gas tank-$51 ( but will get a 37 cent per gallon reward return on my cc at billing cycle end)
- KwikTrip grocery items:$9
- Dollar Tree: $8 a few HH items
- Farmstand: $20 (our options are very expensive but have had really good quality. Packaged carrots bought at the store last week had to be thrown due to a weird slime.)
- $35 PT copayment
Wednesday: $0 and didn't leave the neighborhood, but the perfect weather day called for reading outside.
Thursday: $0 another stay home day, taking a live free online "tour" of the Star Princess, the ship we'll be on in March. Son joined me for supper.
Friday:$0 and, repeat.
Grand Total: for the week $125
I'm really in a motivation mode to lose the weight I put back on well before my cruise in March. This helps as I stick to buying just ingredients to make healthy meals, plus am reducing portion sizes in general. The coming week will be more expensive with a couple social things, and a few household, pet, and pantry items. But, I won't need gas. This seems to be a summary of the week as well as monetary accounting. Anyone else tracking and being more conscientious, even if not intended as no/low spending, but accountability?

Great low spend week for you! I earned $15 and $10 Target gift cards via the Noom and NoomVibe apps. These are free to join. I track my steps on both and periodically earn gift cards. We spent $10 at the farmers market and $3.75 at the grocery store. Trying to create meals using what we have on hand. Had back to back gatherings with 2 different neighborhood friends today. My contributions were made with stuff we had on hand..There were 6 of us at each gathering. Really nice to get to chat in a smaller group setting.
ReplyDeleteI should look at Noom for help with tracking movement but if it helps earn some fun $$, bonus.
DeleteI've never in my life seen such a huge can of fizzy drink! We don't drink fizzy anything so that's a saving for us.
ReplyDeleteI've been writing everything down that I'm responsible for paying; food, mostly, plus 'luxuries' like clothing, presents, books, etc. Husband paid for lunch out on Saturday, and also buys things from the corner shop if we run out midweek.
I need to keep a tight control on £££ because of big bills coming in from extension build.
Nothing small in the US, lol. Technically it was not fizzy, but a mix of ice tea and lemonade ( the Arnold Palmer). Your build is so huge and can understand why it can feel taxing even having saved for it.
DeleteGreat financial week!
ReplyDeleteI have been bleeding money but that is coming to a stop. Our August should be a low spend month. No one is staying with us as of Saturday, and though I love having them here, it is a blow to the budget.
I'm sure it's worth it to have your family visit. We're all in a saving mode so kids have been happy with me cooking and sending leftovers.
DeleteSam, I keep a spread sheet (that I redo every month) to track every daily expense! It is eye opening! We still spend way to much eating out! Ouch! Not Bossy
ReplyDeleteI've tried being g that meticulous to see the leaks. Im hoping this is a helpful way to see where I overspend and where I can loosen up a bit. Im not compromising on produce but proteins has been lower cost options.
DeleteSam, I do similar to Not Bossy, and in addition to keeping track of our overall spend, I find it brings accountability as well. Knowing I'm going to log whatever I'm about to spend will sometimes cause me to pause and reconsider. Similar to logging what we eat - sometimes just knowing we'll have to will stop us in our tracks.
DeleteThat's the main point in the old Tughtwad Gazette books/ newsletter. Im trying to think about my dollars having jobs. If its not performing a function of health, wellness, family, friendships etc. and just willy nilly, its not doing its job.
DeleteI've been watching more closely as, no surprise, prices keep rising. This post is a reminder to me to not get lax about money!
ReplyDeleteI'm very excited for my daughter with school and bew job but know she'll be stretched both time abd money. Me tracking and being mindful helps ne think about little ways I can divert resources to help her, like ready to heat and eat meals, a few gas cards.
DeleteWe tend not to eat out at home, unless it's a planned event (birthday, etc). We do eat out plenty while traveling, and we track that under our travel budget. I just noticed yesterday that ground beef at Costco was $6.99/lb. I nearly died. M does the Costco shopping, so I have been clueless about some of the specific price increases. That is just an insane price for ground beef. It used to be such a reasonable dinner option. Well, now I have a large Costco sized package of ground beef in the freezer, so I need to get that sorted & ensure there is no waste! I am making tacos for Nick's last week at home. I will likely make a double batch of that, and then freeze the rest of the ground beef in individual dinner packages.
ReplyDeleteIt's been an expensive week overall, as we had to do a smog check on one car, then the car renewal, and our auto insurance was due. So, not frugal for sure. - Hawaii Planner
Someone posted ground beef on sale at $8.99 a pound! That's crazy expensive. I save hamburger now for actual homemade good burgers, and have been using ground turkey or pork in hot dishes, tacos, etc.
DeleteI’m looking at a sales circular now, with 90% lean ground beef at $5.99 a pound. I find that ridiculous compared to the $1.99 a pound boneless, skinless chicken breast I just purchased on sale.
DeleteIs there a beef issue affecting production I’m unaware of?
I've not heard specifics but feed is costing more due to transportation costs and beef cattle are huge feed consumers. You'd think that would be the sane for other proteins though.
DeleteYou had a really decent week. Some months are just worse than others. I know when homeowners and the umbrella come due is November - shoot right around the holidays. I just make sure there is enough there ahead of time. I would never pay 8.99 for ground beef - I find it regularly on clearance at well less than half that price. I get it when I see it.
ReplyDeleteClearance, yellow tags, etc are rare here as I think mist grocery stores work wuth food shelves. Occasionally I find mark downs at local gricery store but never loose hamburger, rarely, the pre-made gourmet burgers and I nab them! They still are close to $6 a pound.
DeleteI too am just shopping for what we need each week rather than stocking up on items. I'm also tracking more than I usually do due to added expenses recently. We will cheer each other on to doing the best we can there.
ReplyDeleteIt helps that I'm not a recreational shopper. I like to get on and out but no doubt I miss deals that way. I like the idea that we have cheering sections.
DeleteI actually really enjoy reading this kind of “boring” navel gazing. It is interesting to see how the little everyday choices add up, and I love that you still had a lovely week without needing to spend much. The $0 days with reading outside, walks and chats with neighbours sound pretty perfect to me!
ReplyDeleteThe slight break in humidity made being social outside a great option. The afternoon reading was only disrupted by the dog periodically bringing hus ball for a few throws.
DeleteI like reading these kinds of posts from people in the US. I am trying to have a low spend August as it is cold here (not that enticing to venture out much) and I am going away for 2 weeks in September. It is the little things that seem to add up for me, just a few dollars here and there, so I am trying to eliminate them. Have cut my streaming services back to allowing myself to have one at any time.
ReplyDeleteI got free Peacock, Hulu, and Disney and Stars through internet provider, when it was $24 for two years. Netflix is so high right now and Amazon comes with Prime service for delivery. But, added up, Im still spending $50 a month. I'll not renew Hulu/Disney when the freebue expires. Ill have to decide if Netflix and Stars are worth it in comparison to Peacock but I stream a lot of sports on Peacock. What country are you in? Glad to talk with you.
DeleteI like the 0 spend days! I've been having a few of those, but need to have more!
ReplyDeleteNot intentional but I had no reason to go anywhere.
Deletegood luck on the weight goal !
ReplyDeleteI need luck and I perpetual motivation.
DeleteI am back to the “write down EVERYTHING I spend,” mainly for the college kids. It’s a great shock to see the notebook on the kitchen counter, and for them to see the daily totals! I do the same for eating when I need to eat better. Somehow knowing I need to write it down makes me more inclined to
ReplyDeletemake a tuna salad for a mid afternoon meal rather than something less healthy, more salt/sugar/calorie laden but less satisfying. Weight wise I am okay, but I do know when I eat poorly I feel sluggish yet sleep badly! What I really need to do is get out and walk/jog more. I fell out of the habit of daily walks some time ago and it is hard to get back into it! Were you near, I would recruit you to join me.
Enjoy your week. This summer has been a whirlwind, hence my absence. You are very much in my thoughts!
-Meg B.
My walks haven't been as robust as needed. Its been hot and even the big dog walks slow and lots of sniffing, but less brisk. My heart rate doesn't get elevated so don't feel I'm gettingvthe benefits. I'll never be a runner, but woukd benefit from more "hikes" with climbs and drops. Yes to eating g simple, but wholesome meals that are good fir my body and my wallet. Today's lunch was just a simple turkey and cheese toasted in the air fryer, then loaded with sliced tomato to bulk up a bit. I had watermelon along with it. Much tastier than Subway.
DeleteI am being a lot more intentional with my discretionary spending, though the bills are holding steady, and after dropping my landline I am $55 richer each month. On the health front, I am going to make a Herculean effort to get back to regular walking. The heat and humidity here are tremendous. ):
ReplyDeleteThe humidity just drains energy. The sun doesnt even feel like sun when its humid...just a torch! Walking and dedicated exercise, not eating outside of sensible meals is how weight dropped, and doing the opposite led it to come back on. I have to tell myself this is for a better life and crap food and the couch will not do anything to improve it.
Delete