WIS in the Week, August 29, 2026

        Life is expensive these days. My fall is really is going to be expensive, but for the most part with good things, other than property taxes and life insurance premiums. Those are necessary to both live in a good community with good schools and services and have some safeguards for my family.  I'm tracking my variable, discretionary spending to get a better grip. While boring blog content, it'll give me a good view of where my money is going,  not necessarily a challenge. Here's What I Spent, WIS, in the last week, rounded to nearest dollar.

Saturday: $28

I love the fresh produce at good prices at one stand. I'm sucked into the artisan stands and spent almost $21 on popcorn. I used and will use for a couple social plans.


Sunday:$65

I couldn't risk stretching the tank so filled up on Sunday before going to St Paul to see my daughter who was unwell. Also, splurged on one month of HBO Max.

Monday: $2

I got to the service station ahead of my daughter to get her dog and was very sleepy. I treated myself to a fresh ground and brewed Holiday coffee with cream. 

Tuesday: $160
 
As the kids all wanted some and I had only made a half batch, so I stopped for cucumbers, now 3/$1 and red onions, four small in a tray for $1, to make a full batch of refrigerator pickles. Pups meds were delivered and charged as well for another $158. This is roughly 6 weeks worth. I got a two month prescription for the arthritis last order and this one, so the next shipment I'll be able to skip as he'll have enough so slight savings next shipment in early October.

Wednesday: $0 

It was a completely stay at home day and got grandpup on several walks, plus outside time with both dogs. I made the pickles, two large (pasta sauce size) jars. I dropped one off for my MIL and brought one last night (Friday) to book club at my sisters. I'll left for her as my brother who stays with her in the summer and her husband love them. ( He camps during the week and uses weekends for civilization, lol.) I easily can make more next week.

Thursday: $0

No spending today either. My daughter joined me for supper for a plant based meal.

Friday: $0

Book club was later and I needed to finish the book, so another home day until later. I made the same garlic and spinach dip I brought to lake with "fancy" crackers, plus the pickles, and the Chicago popcorn mix from the farmers market. I had everything already. I helped at my daughters to get a jump on her move. 

Grand Total: for the week $255

    I'll be helping my youngest today again as she moves to a different apartnent and quite frankly, the old one is a disaster. I'll clean as she uses my bigger crossover vehicle to move boxes of stuff and clothes 5 minutes away. Her roomates parents are moving the larger things in their truck. They were supposed to move two weekends ago but when they got the keys to the unit, they had toured a different one, there was both overwhelming cigarette smoke and pet smells in the supposedly non-smoking apartment. They demanded a wall cleaning and painting and zero residue carpet cleaning. Further delay as her roomate went on vacation, and my daughter started her new job, while finishing old, then got sick. She's quite overwhelmed because she thought she had two weeks for a slow move.  It'll be a nice fresh start but a huge task. 

      If you track, were you on or off plan in your spending?




Comments

  1. Wow Sam, your life sounds like mine! But then we are born to serve. Great on tracking the spending. I too do this and it is eye opening. Not Bossy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracking has really been eyeing opening g. Now that I have the receipts to compare checkbook and Visa statement. It's definitely identified denial in the past.

      Delete
  2. Hope the move in goes well! We had an unexpected meal out with family last night, that I definitely wasn't expecting, but it was really fun & rare. Luckily, we are under our dining out budget for the year, so it will go into that category. Eating out is SO expensive these days! The good news is that the food was fantastic. - Hawaii Planner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eating out eith two adult young men is not for the faint of heart.

      Delete
  3. You have motivated me to chart my personal spending just to see how/what I am spending money on. Instead of weekly, I decided to keep the entire month's spending and post it at the end of the month. I am guessing since I know I am going to have to post it, I will think twice before buying anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its keeping me honest. Those extra $10, $30,$100 spends jump off my page to me.

      Delete
  4. You opened with " Life is expensive these days.' UNDERSTATEMENT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If a person isn't able to cherry pick the deals, it'll be even more so.

      Delete
  5. I just do the best I can, knowing that everything is ridiculously spendy and I am doing good to cover the basics - no frills!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But I want the frills. Wah,wah woe me. I know I really lack of nothing. I just hope to identify any mismatched with my priorities.

      Delete
  6. Keeping track of things can sure be eye opening. I hope the move goes well and they get all settled quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The move has been everything l, but not well. Next week's tell all will have a few critics, rightfully so.

      Delete
  7. Chicago style popcorn is a favorite at our house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The salty sweet with cheese combo is the best! It's still unopened. I'm tempted but really want to bring and open when others will eat it too. Another night at my sisters with so much food.

      Delete

Post a Comment

If you comment anonymously, it'd be nice to have a name to go with the comment. It helps me string other people's comments and therefore their experiences together.

Popular posts from this blog

It's Worse Than I Imagined

Home Found

Testing the Waters