WIS in the Week, August 15, 2026
As shared last week, I have big ticket bills and then holiday shopping before the end of the year. I'm tracking my variable, discretionary spending to get a better grip. While boring blog content, it'll give me a good view of where my money is going not including the regular bills required to maintain my life and home like utilities, insurance, and taxes. Its not intended to be no or low spend, but personal awareness to tweak my priorities in terms of where my money is going.
Saturday: $16
BIL found cheesy cruise shirts and I bought one too.Not a need or even a high want, but three BIL's love planning cruises and all the kitsch that goes with them. My husband would have been right with them for the cheese.
Sunday:$4
For research (curiosity) I ordered a $3.99 Too Good to Go surprise bag. Curiosity quenched...will pass on future though someone else might have thought this was a good buy. I ate the sandwich and grapes for my lunch and froze the sweet treats and will take out for coffee sometime with someone.
Monday: $0
It was my husband's birthday. I really just wanted to avoid people, so I did, keeping to the back yard with dogs. I talked with both girls, each also having a harder day. I didn't hear from anyone else, nor reached out myself, though have plans with son coming to dinner tomorrow and lunch with my MIL on Wednesday.
Wednesday: $40
I took my MIL out for lunch as her birthday is Sunday. I'll see her on the day too along with the kids but its quite loud and I don't plan to stay long. See my post back a few weeks about the inflated cost of eating out. I tipped well, 22% rounding the bill, as we stayed an hour and a half though there were open tables. We both had leftovers ( which I ate for a lunch.)
Thursday: $12
I tackled a couple storage spots and filled two boxes for donation. I scheduled a charity pickup for later in the month and motivated to have more cleared by then. Seeing free space is motivation to not buy more stuff! I met a friend for the free concert by the river and also was treated to a beautiful sunset. I brought Bubbly waters and popcorn for us. I had $2 for the tip bucket and made a $10 contribution to a youth fundraiser.
Friday: $130
This includes my $35 copaynent, $82 in birthday gifts for my MIL and two BIL's on my husbands side including cards and gift bags at Dollar Tree that I forgot earlier in the week, and adorable shirts on massive clearance for myself and each daughter $12. I need to stay out of Marshalls (like TJ or TK Maxx) because I found tons of cute stuff that would be perfect vacation wear on clearance. I'm also patting myself on the back, but also have regret for not buying the Michael Kors tote bag I've been eyeing for a decade. But, I'd prefer it in a color other than black or dark blue which was the deciding argument to leave behind.
Grand Total: for the week $274
All in all, nothing to change in my habits. I ate decently including a few meals with my kids. I took advantage of free and low cost activities and didn’t isolate myself which I think can be easy for me to do. If you track, were you on or off plan in your spending?

It adds up quickly, doesn't it? Sounds like a good week.
ReplyDeleteThree birthdays together was not the norm. Ive still got a couple more in August too.
DeleteI do not track my spending weekly, but I always know within a dollar or two what I spend. My one gotcha this past week was having lunch out. with childhood friends. When I got my bill I was shocked to find iced tea was 4.99. Had I realized that I would have ordered water to go with my 7 buck meal.
ReplyDeleteFor likely tea made for 10 cents. That's atrocious money.
DeleteI totally understand avoiding people on those trigger days - I spend a lot of time in my backyard, introverting on those days. Kudos to you for keeping your daughters and MIL's family close to heart last week. I had a pricey Friday, too. What is it with Fridays?
ReplyDeleteBeing busy even with nothinng projects helps the day go by and I don't have to put on a brave face. It's particularly hard this year because my mail box has been bombarded with Medicare and insurance supplement stuff in his name as it was hs 65th.
DeleteTrigger days are mostly best done by ones self as people try all sorts of ways to 'help' bless them they just make the days worse.
ReplyDeleteI figured that out the last year. I appreciate people caring but undoubtedly I'd take the help in a bad way.
DeleteI've always wanted to try those too good to go bags, but they get cancelled when I've been able to snag one, maybe someday I'll get lucky.
ReplyDeleteThis was definitely a try and now, unless the stores/ restaurants greatly expand, I won't get another.
DeleteI've been disappointed with Good to Go in the past, so stopped picking it up. Saves me money, I suppose. I most certainly did not save any money this week, setting Nick up with his new apartment & getting him moved in. I'm sure we will see shifts across various budget categories, with him not cooking much, but also not being home & us not feeding him + his friends. We also did a huge stock up for him at Costco & Trader Joes, which will hopefully help. After that, we will likely do Amazon Prime (free delivery) for his groceries, as he doesn't have a car. - Hawaii Planner
ReplyDeleteAny transitions in life seem to be frugal opposites! Im glad he's moved in and settled, ready with ready meals to get him started. TJ's is good for that. My youngest has an awkward few weeks and is having to modify her plans, but not necessarily a bad thing. I encouraged her to just cut herself slack and if it means her favorite take out, a few ready meals, and me bringing her meals for the rest of the month, so be it.
DeleteI will need to work on spending the rest of this month and for parts of September. Never thought of keeping track of daily spending. I have done weekly and now usually do monthly. Interesting how things add up.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.
This is just for the next few months. I'm noticeably soending differently than I might have other than if I review and clearly see nonsense spending. I need to see where my mo ey is going and know Im being intentional.
DeleteI'm so sorry you had a difficult day (Monday) to get through, Sam. My sincerest thoughts are with you. It's a road we will all walk eventually, and I hope I receive grace from others when it is my turn, such as, I hope, you are currently receiving grace from those who care about you.
ReplyDeleteThis journey called Life really confounds me at times.
I try not to mention any sadness in my blog anymore after some nasty "advice" from a complete non-widowed stranger, but Im not going to ignore important days to me either. I appreciate your kind words.
DeleteAs a frequent cruiser I loved seeing the T shirt. It made me smile.
ReplyDeleteAugust brings mixed feelings for me. Several good things but one thing that just breaks my heart.
I'm with you there fir August. This is just cruise 5 coming up, but had my husband not passed away, likely we'd have gone on one each year. He loved cruising.
Delete