WIS, August 22, 2026

       As shared previously,  I'm incentivised to watch my spending not just because of the huge increases in every area of life but also due to timing of high cost expenses between now and end of the year. I'm tracking my variable, discretionary spending to get a better grip. While boring blog content, it'll give me a good view of where my money is going not including the regular bills required to maintain my life and home like utilities, insurance, and taxes. Clearly you'll see it's not no or low spend, but personal awareness to improve areas I might spend but arent really adding to the quality of my life. Here's What I Spent, WIS, in the last week.

Saturday: $22

I bought my sister an additional birthday gift as I saw a unique Minnesota Twins shirt on Etsy. She's the ultimate fan and is going to an upcoming game.

Sunday:$0

Family day at lake for my MIL'S 86th birthday. I brought food made from items already on hand.  I learned a new card game called Swipe,  which was fun and can be played with as few as 2, and many more by just adding more decks of cards as  each player starts with 20, and easy for kids to join in. It's nice that both sides of the family are card players, but funny, my kids, other than my son for poker, are not big on it. They're more board game enthusiasts.

Monday: $16

It was a home day and a bit cooler so did both outdoor and indoor basic tasks. I find that after just one day with a lot of people my desire to intentionally isolate rises. I ordered another box of 30 doggie diaper bands. He doesn't need every night but sure has helped my anxiousness as to what I might find in the morning.

Tuesday: $32

The grandpup hates the weed wacker so I saved that for Tuesday when he's at doggie daycare. I run my errands this day and that included stopping for fresh green beans and other produce at the farmers market, $8 by far the lowest cost stand for loads of green beans, four small tomatoes, two cucumbers,  and three green peppers. Stuffed peppers again this weekend- my favorite from summer produce. Splurge was for a pepperoni roll and scone from the Great Harvest stand. $11.75. Before getting pup I also stopped for milk, bread, eggs, fruit and a sweet potato, and  4 bacon wrapped pork fillets at KwikTrip for just shy of $12. I noticed gas was $4.29 a gallon. Hopefully I can make it another full week to stretch and maybe get a good coupon or some rebate and maybe gas will be lower. 

Wednesday: $0

Other than walking the dogs, I stayed home all day and nothing purchased on line. Read more of next book club book, Friends with Secrets, downloaded from KindleUnlimited, shared with my daughter. This is rare for me, but the afternoon was so lovely and a Happy Hour was calling. I cracked open a beer and the bag of pretzels from Sunday and hung outside with the dogs. I did a bit of scrolling and found this lovely young woman on Instagram, Alison, a personal finance content creator, who's probably a "de-influencer" but seems to have a beautiful life. Of course, she may be quite edited as well. 

Sadly, no Leinies in the fridge, just a branded
 koozie with a Coors Light, but it did it's job.

Thursday: $48

We've been having barking issues again with grandpup. There's certain things that just set him off, particularly delivery to the door and lawn mowers. We've been working with him for years and he seemed to have learned, but has regressed this summer. With consulting with trainers, we're back using the bark coller immediately when he barks inside,  and put it on for walks or outdoor. We're also going to try a sound sensor made by Pawious. It wasn't cheap, but we, neighbors, and he needs the calming effect. 

Friday: $165

This didn't start out being such a big spend, but between restocking shampoo, conditioner,  facial cleanser and a few other health and beauty supplies, buying fruit for a cookout, great prices on quality meat from the butcher, and then doing a significant stock up on unexpected loss leaders between three stores, I blew up my spending. I earned though 32 cents off per gallon; I'll use Monday or Tuesday to maximize. As my month ends the 26th for spending purposes, other than perhaps some fresh veg at the farmers market. I'm done with all HHB and G. I'm still below my monthly target ( barely) and so stocked up, I should need minimal purchases in September.

Grand Total: for the week $283

     Did I mention this was not a no spend/ low spend challenge? Yikes! But, therec was no eating out and I had social interactions. If you track, were you on or off plan in your spending?




Comments

  1. I actually like these spending posts because they show what real-life budgeting looks like rather than pretending you can go weeks without spending anything. The $165 Friday would make me wince too, but at least most of it went towards things you genuinely needed or could stock up on at a good price. I also liked the Sunday family day at the lake and the fact that you brought food from what you already had at home. Sometimes being mindful with money is simply making the most of what you already have rather than trying to spend nothing at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think those no spend challenges work when the pantry and freezer are super filled and little is on the calendar. No, Friday was a lot but since so much was items I only buy every few months, shampoo, etc. and are expensive, I was off to the big spend very quickly. I know I wont need next month.

      Delete
  2. I used to track like this for myself, and may get back into it, because I agree that it can be super helpful. Regular stocking up can be expensive for sure. I might add in any money making (e.g. eBay sales, etc) to see the full inflow/outflow, if any comes up. - Hawaii Planner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I can get my girls together, between the two of them, they could probably put quite a bit of nice things on Vinted and make a bit. I'm not sure how long I'll do this level of tracking, but it's opening my eyes a bit. Its also keeping me from popping into stores when I'm not there for a specific purpose because inevitably a non-needed item would be purchased as I do enough of that even I'm trying to be intentional. Health and beauty stuff is expensive. I don't even buy the extra brands, just basic drug store available but $5 here, $8 there when you're nearly out of so many things and there's $50 spent pretty quickly.

      Delete
  3. I totally get your Friday comment about "didn't start out being such a big spend, but..." Yep. I had a similar day Friday too; things I needed to restock have gone up in price, some unexpected items. It adds up.
    On a lighter note, I read your Tuesday note as "the groundhog hates the weed whacker " not the "grand pup," so I spent a few minutes thinking "Well, that's interesting. Sam must be having a real groundhog problem at her house!" Then I reread your line and started laughing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im sure the groundhog hate the weed wacker too! The health and beauty items really added up fast. When did shampoo get so expensive? And face wash????

      Delete
    2. I highly recommend Coco Fiji all in one soap bars. They work for face, body, shampoo and shaving cream. I have dry hair and need a separate conditioner but they have replaced everything else.

      Delete
    3. I've never heard of them. I'll explore. As I get older. My hair texture has changed and of course skin just feels dry all the time. I'm leery of an all in one product.

      Delete
    4. It’s all natural - unscented version is just saponified coconut oil. I’m turning into a hippie as the years pass. 😁

      Delete
    5. We say bohemian here, or granola...Ill stop in our coop store where they might carry it and read more.

      Delete
  4. I like the idea of spending intentionally now - not necessarily following a budget, which has always been hard for me to do. I make fewer impulse purchases and can justify just about everything I spend on as being for the house or my body. ha! I am slowly making my way through all of the soaps and shampoos I have, all the food I have purchased, and purposely not going thrifting. And YES on the isolating after using up your social battery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so calming yesterday after a stop at the farmers market, slicing and dicing to make pickles, and make a fruit platter. And while I went to a cookout, knowing I needed to be home to give pups meds kept my battery from completely draining.

      Delete
  5. It sounds like you look at money in the same way we do. We don't focus on no spend but try to make what we do spend on making memories or on things needed and limit frivolous things that aren't really needs or wishes. It works for us.
    We did have to buy a new washing machine, but it came with a full 5-year warranty so that is nice. Ours died while doing a full load so I took that load to the laundry mat to wash and dry. $11`for one load. Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember how much it was 12 years ago when our washer died and need to use the laundromat abd member ut being at least $6 a load. Three years ago ( 9 years is all that machine lasted) I hauled to my daughters for a week until delivery of new. The more I clear spaces the more I want less things. What do they say, your junk and clutter is not an inheritance.

      Delete
  6. I only went out twice all week - grocery and hardware. Staying home is my biggest contributor the less spending. It sure can add up fast. But you are all stocked up - that is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't entertainment browse as I might have before. I think being more comfortable home alone helps going to stores, and that helps me just buy when needs exist or I have an intentional want that's planned.

      Delete
  7. After the spendy month (which seems to be continuing), I am hoping that the coming month of September will be a bit less spendy. I think that there will come a time when I will have to trace our daily spending as well.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're in post vacation caution mode and I'm in prevacation caution mode, plus more travel on the horizon in another year ir two depending on my dogs health.

      Delete
  8. I was doing fine on spending until today, with purchasing $4500 worth of air fares for a huge South America trip in October. And charges aren't done yet! Im very, very nervous (slightly terrified) about this one last trip of a senior lifetime. Now I'll be penny pinching the rest of this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, its not like you can frugal your way to South America entirely! How exciting. Being cautious and recognizing the trip is a trade off to being a non-spendthrift should help your fear. No doubt you've planned well. Seeing big amounts keave my bank accounts is a jolt even when fully planned.

      Delete
  9. Snyders pretzels and beer: the snack of the gods, or the demi-gods. Pass the cheese whiz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...no bheese whiz, bad memories of that stuff.

      Delete
  10. I understand completely the big stock up day. I look at it as an offsetting expense, when you track what you would have spent without the benefit of sale prices. All of my married life I have cherry picked and stocked up as much as possible, which allows me splurges in other areas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With just me though, I always question how much stocking up is too much. I get visions of my kids clearing out my pantry in 30 years with items dated 2010.

      Delete
  11. I did pretty good not spending last week except for having to get gas twice. Ugh, I'll be so happy if the price ever comes back down. Our cats do not like the weed eater or the leaf blower either and will run in the opposite direction when I use them. Sounds like you're working hard on controlling your spending. My spending goes higher when I stock up at the grocery store or Sam's Club too. I'll need to stock up on garbage bags next month and that is always an expense for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im not really trying g to spend kess, but by paying attention to what I have spent makes ne think better aboit patterns, needs, wanrs. and dumb choices. Gas us awful. Ive been able to keep to two tanks a month, but with three kids that live 25'30 miles away, miles add up.

      Delete
  12. I think it is a really good idea to keep some tabs on spending but also being aware that sometimes the unexpected happens which need dealing with. Wishing you a good week ahead, Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stopped myself a couple times ordering somethi g fir convenience when I reflected on how much Id already spent in the week. The convenience wasn't worth the budget stretch. Its not avoiding any spending g, but really thinking where holes need to be plugged.

      Delete

Post a Comment

If you comment anonymously, it'd be nice to have a name to go with the comment. It helps me string other people's comments and therefore their experiences together.

Popular posts from this blog

It's Worse Than I Imagined

Cancelled

Home Found