Random Recipes

      When I cook, I tend to get 3-6 portions. My pattern might be eat one night, leftovers for lunch or dinner the next, freeze remaining portions. My meal prep/freezer containers generally hold two portions. This works good for me as I can pull out in a week or two and have a meal two days in a row without thinking. It's also a nice amount to send to my son ( though he'll eat in one meal) or my younger daughter that will either provide her two meals, or she shares with her roommate. 

     I've been trying to avoid much time grocery shopping and use up things so they don't linger. Recently through both Googling for ideas and my adaptation, I made a few successful meals. It's been nice having easy heat and eat options the following day. 

Vegetable au gratin

  • Bag of Stir-fry fresh veggies*
  • 1/2 crown broccoli florets*
  • 1 can cream mushroom soup or your own white sauce blend
  • 1/2  can milk
  • Remnants from sour cream tub, estimate 1/4 cup
  • 1 cup shredded cheese blend 

Salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder- all to taste, probably heavy 1tsp.  each

* use whatever veg you have to have a good 3-4 cups

Steam vegetables, stir all ingredients reserving 1/3 cheese. Pour in sprayed baking dish ( mine was 8" by 5" I think, top with remaining cheese. Microwave 8-10  minutes high, or if baking, 30 minutes 350° I'd guess until bubbly. 

I ate with leftover dinner roll but when I take out from freezer, I'd maybe make rice or even a baked potato. I still keep a few cans of "cream of" soups on hand, but easily could just make a white sauce if you don't have soup or prefer. For those with a glut of zuchini ( courgettes), I think this would be a nice recipe for them, but maybe ommit milk as zuchini is so wet.

The first three fritters.
More pancake like but pretty tasty. 

Zucchini Fritter

  • 1 medium large zuchini, grated, sprinkled with table salt 
  • 1/2 cup or so diced onion more or less to taste. (I used the last of a red onion lingering in crisper)
  • 1 egg (could use an alternate binder to make vegan)
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • Seasoned Salt, pepper-about 1 tsp.
  • Garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning  at least 2 tsp.

Grate zuchini and sprinkle with salt. Set aside then later squeeze as much liquid out as possible.  I use a mesh strainer, the push down with a glass to squeeze.  

Blend seasonings, egg, flour then stir in zuchini. Fry in dollops either on a sprayed pan, or if you want more crisp could do in an inch or so of hot oil. Turn over to brown each side. I put a lid on to make sure cooked through for about four minutes on low. My batter made 8. By the last two, the batter had gotten watery as more water came from Zucchini but they still fried up nicely. 

     Depending on the size you make, these could be a nice alternative to a hamburger with or without a bun, loaded up with lettuce, tomato,  and onions-yum! I'll make another batch soon and try a flax egg or vegan mayo as the binder as they'd be nice for my older daughter and none of us mind vegan recipes. A high protein flour like chickpea or a gluten free version would work but I haven't used.

Brown Sugar Cinnamon Zucchini Bread

  • 3 cups squeezed shredded Zuchini 
  • 2 overipe mashed bananas
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 Tablespoons ( or even more if you really like it as I do) cinnamon 
  • 2 tsp. Vanilla 
  • 1 1/2 cup flour 
  • 3/4 cup oats
  • 1 tsp salt 2 tips baking powder
Mix first five ingredients. Mix dry ingredients. Combine. Bake in 4-5 small loaf pans at 350° for 35-40 minutes, or 1-2  regular depending on size, and bake 50 minutes. Test doneness with a knife coming out clean. These truly were bake by love measurements and time. My son thought less sugar would work so maybe I'll reduce to 2/3 cup. 
Old picture of different bake
to break up the text heavy post. 
 
     I've used a variation of this using pumpkin pie spice and almond extract and nuts. I rarely bake quick sweet breads in a regular size pan as we just prefer the size the little loaf pans make- easy to share with others. 




Comments

  1. Those all sound delicious, Sam. And a great way to use up all that zucchini that we have so much of this time of year.
    Belinda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to figure out more ways to use up. I still have shredded from last summer. Ill definitely make more bread andcwascthinking to try a Mousavi with zuchini instead of eggplant. I loved that dish in Greece.

      Delete
  2. I might make those zucchini fritters later as I have some to use up. Yesterday I made BBC Good Food's eggplant with harissa, garlic and yoghurt but didn't like it much so today I'll make baba ganoush with the leftover already-cooked eggplant. To be honest I do waste food because I only shop once a week and think "I'll make this, and then I'll make that" and don't always get round to it. Stop wasting food is another thing to add to my to do list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It' so hard when you live alone. I enjoy variety and recipes aren't exactly conducive for one.

      Delete
  3. The courgette/zucchini recipes are very timely for me - we currently have a glut 😀
    Alison in Devon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even try to grow as my daughter is a zuchini whisperer. Share what you use them in. I'm always looking for more options.

      Delete
    2. TBH I usually just steam them lightly or stir fry in a little butter but I do occasionally grate one or two into ground beef recipes ( we call it mince ) also into cake, I grumble a bit about how many there are but I’ll miss them when they’re over!
      Alison x

      Delete
    3. Last night I sautéed on touch of olive oil and garlic. So good!

      Delete
    4. Yum 😋
      Alison x

      Delete
  4. In your Brown Sugar Cinnamon Zucchini Bread what is the 4th ingredient? 1 tablespoon of ??? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh...the main flavor-cinnamon. I've updated the post.

      Delete
  5. Zucchini is so versatile - as it takes on the flavor of anything it is cooked with. Love fritters and bread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im tryingvto find a fritter thats more like what we had in France or what Ruby Tuesdays had on their menu. Less oancakey more veggie.

      Delete
  6. I wish we had zucchini, but the squirrels eat anything we grow here! I'm longing for a greenhouse, which we might do when I have time to garden again. We'll see. - Hawaii Planner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that might be my issue with everything. My daughters beds are raised so that might help. She also has walnut trees so msybe the squirrels go for them. Ive lookedca bit at a combo greenhiuse/storage/she shed . Itd be nice to start veg earky spring but not inside my house.

      Delete
  7. We have been eating a LOT of zucchinis the last couple of weeks and I love it. It's such a versatile veggie. Zucchini bread, tots, fritters, breaded and fried...endless possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please share your good recipes. I always look for yours in your blog.

      Delete
  8. That is a very smart use for the zucchini. Before the groundhog established residency here I had zucchini coming out my ears. I won't bother planting it again until he either moves or is no longer around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dsughter is the zuchini whisperer. Her raised beds help.

      Delete
  9. My mom made a swiss au gratin that follows that recipe. She used a bag of California Mix and a bag of broccoli with swiss cheese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ive had and have made that but funny, never with actual Swiss Cheese!

      Delete
  10. No vegetable garden this year so no zucchini. I cannot bear squash UNLESS it’s in zucchini bread, or my zucchini relish. I am on my last jar of relish, but I know someone will be looking to pawn some off!
    Have a great week.
    -Meg B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll eat yours! I live all squash. Just made more bread.

      Delete
  11. This is one of my favourite ways to use up zucchini. Link down the bottom to other zucchini recipes. Lisa
    https://www.recipetineats.com/cheesy-zucchini-bread-no-yeast/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tol a peak. OMG that looks rich and delicious.

      Delete
  12. I really love zucchini and yellow squash - I could eat both every week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im with you. I love bith summer and the hearty fall varieties.

      Delete
  13. We bought 10 zukes at our local farmer's market Saturday; I did not grow any this year. Yesterday, I sliced most of it up and froze 11 quarts for later. I just now popped two loaves of zucchini bread into the oven before reading this; appropriate timing or what?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I froze four of the five mini loaves I made yesterday. I will miss the Farmers Market today but might stop by roadside stand for another watermelon. Sweet corn is now here and might get a dozen, but freeze a lot for corn chowder come cool weather.

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. Ive grabbed many from other bloggers over the years.

      Delete

Post a Comment

If you comment anonymously, it'd be nice to have a name to go with the comment. It helps me string other people's comments and therefore their experiences together.

Popular posts from this blog

It's Worse Than I Imagined

Cancelled

Home Found