Friday Fiscal Wellness Check, August 28, 2026
- Even with a huge for me stock up shopping, where I'm tempted with the nice new groceries, I ate leftovers on Friday for lunch and supper.
- Found a vegan zuchini fritter recipe to use up the huge zuchini my daughter gave me. These still were a bit pancakey, but very tasty.
- Stocked up after unexpectedly finding major loss leaders and reduced meat from butchers counter. I'll need to buy very little in September other than fresh produce, dairy, eggs, and bread. I still ended my shopping month with the target for all household, personal, and grocery needs.
- While last years Florida trip to a friends condo was very thrifty, various life situations has put a fall trip there this year on pause. However, the mom friends found a weekend all five of us are free in October and I confirmed the big cabin, with heat, fire pit ( if we get out of drought by then) showers etc. will be free to use. My older daughter will have pup. We'll plan details next month, but it'll be a very frugal get away for all of us. It was very kind of my MIL, husbands brother and sister, and my kids all telling me repeatedly they were happy that I was going to use the cabin with my friends. I'm trying to build happy memories even while being there is bittersweet.
- Another delicious and fun night at my sisters. They grilled burgers and others contributed sides, including my contribution of a fruit platter, and a cucumber, tomato, and onion salad.
- Gas was $4.17 a gallon but was able to use a 32 cent per gallon credit to save $4.
- Used my freebie from T-Mobile for a Diet Coke before picking up grandpup from doggie daycare. Fountain sodas just hit differently.
- I decided that while I'll keep Netflix, I switched next charge period, to the basic membership with ads, saving $19 a month. Ad free is just no longer worth the price. This will offset using a different service time to time-see below on HBO Max.
- My BIL dropped off a bunch of tomatoes, more than I'll eat fresh, so they were washed and put in freezer bags. I don't bother blanching as I've had good results making sauces, goulash, etc. from frozen tomatoes.
Opportunities to add Funds/Windfalls
- Entered receipts in Fetch, played MS Rewards. I did a couple of Saga surveys.
- Redeemed a T-MOBILE reward for a $5 Dunkin Donuts gift card. It'll be a nice treat come fall out and about. ( Though honestly, I probably have about $75 in various coffee gift cards I forget to use. I must remember them when I next plan coffee out. )
Non-Thrifty or Frugal
- My youngest felt lousy towards the end of last week and through the weekend. She really needed to get better with having a busy week ahead. I drove up to the city and brought her both comfort food and relief items on Sunday. Worth every drop of gas to help her a bit.
Then, there are often other things that impacted my check book that came up without much planning or notice, an extra optional or necessary expense, or an all-out splurge.
- Splurged at the farmers market at the MN Nice Guy Popcorn stand on three varieties. These are for a couple social gatherings coming up...if I don't break into them. I bought the Chicago mix, white cheddar, and caramel corn.
- Signed up for one month ( canceled renewal immediately) for HBO Max so I could watch a couple shows.
Fri - Sauteed garlic and sesame green beans, chicken in a sort of sweet and sour sauce with brown rice (leftovers from Thursday)
Sat- Cheeseburger, fruit, and strawberry spinach salad at a cookout.
Sun- Pasta salad, tuna wrap, leftover from cookout
Mon- Zuchini chili over rice
Tues- leftover chili and rice, with cheddar cheese, stuffed green pepper, grapes
Weds- Roasted chicken, parmesian potatoes, tomato and cucumbers, grapes
Thur- Zuchini fritters, garlic/ soy green beans, sweet potato wedges
Leftovers/ Added to Freezer:
- Large portion zuchini chili
- 4 Zuchini fritters
- Tomatoes

I would call going to your daughters when she was ill a necessity, neither thrifty nor frugal.
ReplyDeleteI'm trying to incorporate leftovers into our meals, but it has been hard with the stupid eating out we are currently doing.
And wonderful to plan a no/low cost getaway to the cabin. Though you will never replace the memories of times there, you can add some new memories
You had a great week and your friend's trip to the cabin sounds perfect. I hear so many people saying they haven't used gift cards. My son finally sorted his and stood them in a rack right next to his computer as he works from home. For those no longer sitting at the computer I wonder if putting a small assortment in one's wallet and then refreshing that as they get used? It bothers me that corporations actually know what percentage of gift cards won't get used and count on that in their bottom line.
ReplyDelete