Weekends Still Weekending
I used to think this might be my mindset post retirement, but there's a different feel come late Friday afternoon. Bookclub and cards were Fridays plan, with leisurely coffee Saturday morning with one sister who stayed over. Despite the heat, enjoyed a drink with neighbors Saturday night, then much of Sunday with my youngest.
We had a good book club discussion of Sue Garrett's The Spy Coast. Theres other's in a series and a couple sisters started reading those too. Yes, I had too much food and sent home leftover chicken salad and croissants with three and buns and croissant with two others. My son got a big plate of meat and cheese and more buns plus the huge bag of gardettos. I don't need them around! I've been picking at other leftovers for meals and froze some too.
My daughter volunteers at the University Raptor Center. I finally took a tour and then took her out for lunch. I just snapped a couple quick photos. I didn’t get the owls she regularly cares for because they were hanging out so far back in their enclosure. These are the birds that due to injury or poor development stay as ambassadors but the goal for rescued birds is that they heal and are returned to the wild. This has been a good networking and resume builder. I'm happy to share she was hired as a part-time naturalist at a private nonprofit conservancy. This, along with grad school starting in the fall, hopefully fills what she's been trying to figure out for her career path. The timing is good as her apprenticeship is over by of the end of the month, though they are keeping her on a couple extra weeks with different funding and adhoc days if her schedule fits. She'll start her new position mid August, and school early September.
![]() |
| This eagle is about 4 years old. |
![]() |
| This youngster is under a year, so still brown but will develop the incredible white head as his older companion in the coming year or so. |
I stopped at my sons on route home to leave his food ( that had been in an ice packed cooler) and check on kitties. He's still adjusting to leaving them on those long work days when he's gone over 12 hours. They still had food mid afternoon, so I think in the future, he can just give extra as they don't eat if not hungry, and put out a third bowl of water. Oh, cat dad's.
I had a long call eith my MIL, who's not liking the heat at all, especially since she's regularly going to funerals. When you're 85, friends and aquaintences passing away is a sad, but regular part of life. Now it's a new week, the last one of July. I met my daughter early to get her dog and exchanged produce, her getting a few of the tomatoes and me, a couple zuchini. It'll be a frequent but short duration ball play day with the big dog. Yesterday bit hit 99 and today might be close and with high humidity so walks are not good. Stay cool, and if you're experiencing any impact from fires here or elsewhere, stay safe.



Man, your heat just makes me wince. We (central Ohio) seem to have hit a cooler, more tolerable stretch, for which I am grateful. The smoke is way high up, so tinging the skies, but not blanketing the landscape here.
ReplyDeleteLoved the visit to the raptor center: way cool!
Sounds like a really good week to me (or weekend). Sounds like you had a good time.
ReplyDeleteWe are back to 90's today - then it goes back to 80's again for the rest of the week.
Your daughter's volunteer work with the birds sounds really interesting and clearly a good resume builder. Great that she got a job with the conservancy. It's hot everywhere now it seems!
ReplyDelete