Inflation Example

Photo by Polina Chistyakova at Pexels.com
Eating out is definitely an occasional splurge, but in July I had several outings. I try not to overthink and just enjoy the company, but it felt like my wallet was much lighter than anticipated. When looking at the online menu for a lunch gathering, there was a couple photos patrons posted a year ago of the menu. Sure enough, costs across the menu have increased between 15 and 23%. A Rheuben a year ago was $13.99, now $16.99. The burger I was considering went from $12.99 to $14.99. I don't fault the owners, but it does make me think hard before automatically accepting an invite for a meal out or suggesting it. I'm just one person, but imagine if 25% of folks reduced their outings by just 25%, that's a hard result loss to owners and staff of 7% revenue/gratuities. I come from a long line of restaurant workers, myself included. I put myself through college as a server so I know the hurt wait staff might feel.
I don't have rules per se, but guidelines for where and when I eat out to both protect my wallet a bit, but also enjoy the outings more.
- Reserve eating out for a social meal with others; usually when I might not otherwise easily see all parties, or haven't for a while, or if celebrating something.
- Eat at independently owned businesses.
- Order something I'd likely not make at home.
- Limit or not add extras like soda or upcharged fries or tots if meal comes already with an adequate side (or just skipping a side.)
I agree as to rising costs, trying to keep locally owned restaurants afloat, and alternatives to "eating out." Warren and I are infamous for our NOT eating out, so friends do not waste their breath asking! The flip side of that? When we went out west last July to visit, we both about fell over when we took family out and saw the menu prices! WHOA! When did THAT happen? My sons were like "yeah, mom, that's what it costs nowadays." (When we go to Mayo, we almost always "dine out" at the cafeteria in the Eisenberg building: superb food and prices are low because it serves a lot of employees. Either that or a salad and something from Kwik Trip...last of the big spenders here! )
ReplyDeleteThe first one is our biggest. we don't eat out because we don't feel like cooking, or we didn't plan. Well, I suppose I occasionally do that after travel, and use a gift card to get lunch, but as a general rule, 90 of the time our eating out is planned & is intentional. We also try to eat at locally owned restaurants. Once we get there, we tend to order what we'd like (although are generally not big splurges in that regard), but we typically order a glass of wine, which definitely drives up the bill. - Hawaii Planner
ReplyDeleteWe don't eat out because of not wanting to cook or not planning but for the social aspect. Usually, we eat out once or twice a month plus on special occasions. But we always go to independently owned restaurants not chains. We vote with our money and if the food isn't up to our standards we cross that place off our list. I don't mind paying extra for really good food but not mediocre.
ReplyDeleteThat was from me, I didn't notice I wasn't signed in until I hit publish. ;-)
Delete