Friday Fiscal Wellness Check, July 17, 2026

                                      


         
     For my Friday posts, I copy a previous week, delete the old and update as I go along the week. This helps me add as the week goes on. Here's my recap of Friday, July 10 to Thursday, July 16. I just sort of list things as they come up.

Use it Up/Avoid Waste 
  • While we had planned just happy hour food before concert, a series of issues with hotel disrupted that plan so we grabbed quick food before taking shuttles to the venue. Both sister and I had chicken tenders and while food was expensive portions were large. Between the two of us, a full order was left. We saved in the room refrigerator for my niece to take home.(Big eating teenage son!) Edit: She left forgetting in refrigerator so I popped in my cooler, then freezer at home as not sure when I"ll see her.
  • More wonderful gifting for my son's place. The only thing he really was going to try and source was a desk and chair. Voila! Same friends mom needed a new home for this. 


Avoiding Spending/Saving on needs 
  • I chose not to hit the casino before or after the concert and while no chance to win, no chance to lose!
  • I made myself a cup of coffee in the room with the provided provisions. Learned from my BIL that the coffee shop in hotel was complete chaos, expensive, and got orders wrong and mixed up.
  • My Wednesday and Thursday plans flip flopped and met friend Wednesday after she had a college alumni happy hour gathering at the brewery. It was technically over when I got there (not my college,) but she had an extra prepaid drink coupon, so for just a tip, my beverage was covered.
  • A third baby gift purchased for my daughter's friend ( 2nd baby) with my 40% Kohls coupons and applied a bit of rewards cash. I don't think theres more babies for a while in my extended circle of family and friends.

Opportunities to add Funds/Windfalls 

  • Entered receipts in Fetch, played MS Rewards. I should start doing the surveys again, but got bored with them as the screening isI so repetitive.

 Non-Thrifty or Frugal

  • Still in the Non-Thrifty category,  picked another two big salads worth of greens so ROI is -78. I'm going to use Elle"s suggestion and pull the bolted greens and get a few pots planted and maybe get more greens in August and then September. I had seeds leftover so no new money.

Then, there are often other things that impacted my check book that came up without much planning or notice, an extra optional or necessary expense, or an all-out splurge.

  • Nothing about the concert from tickets (purchased and paid for months ago), hotel, dinner, and drinks (ex. $31 with tip for one Sun Cruiser large strawberry lemonade seltzer)was frugal but it's kind of my one splurge for the summer. 

  Daily Dinner Diary (Friday 7/10  to Thursday, 7/16). 

Fri -   Goulash with a lot of onion and red pepper that needed using up 

Sat- Leftover goulash

Sun- Beans and hotdogs on toast 

Mon- Penne Pasta with Italian sausage tomato (sent 2 leftover portions with my son), froze remaining sauce

Tues- Chicken strips

Weds- Quesadille with black bean and corn salsa

Thur- out with friends to a Mexican restaurant.I had the enchilada and burrito combo, my go to.

New tracking-Leftovers Added to Freezer:

  • Italian sausage tomato sauce
  • Ground beef, pepper, onion portion
  • Chickpea and vegetable curry (made in crockpot for my daughter when she stayed with pup. She took leftovers with rice for a couple meals but still portions of the curry left)
  • Chicken strips

        The smoke from the BWCA fires is thick, even this far south in the state. I sure hope everyone stays safe. Tonight son is having us for dinner, but I'm guessing he's picking up prepared food from the Italian market near him. Pup and I are going to the lake tomorrow as the smoke and humidity is supposed to diminisha bit. I'm bringing his meds in case I decide to stay over. I hope to catch the World Cup final and 3rd place games. I think it's karma that two teams from Spanish speaking countries will play in the United States for the championship of a tournament that touches most of the world. Thousands upon thousands of fans cheering in Spanish on American soil is probably a MAGA nightmare. Oh the irony. Just because, I might watch on telemundo. How was your week? 

  

Comments

  1. We have the smoke rolling through here (central Ohio) as well; staying indoors and out of it! And I love the thought of a gazillion World Cup fans cheering in Spanish! Just hope the game can go forward given the dangerous air quality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting to comments after a swim while drying off. Smoke better today, but sounds like it will come back strong again ny Monday. I will enjoy the game, though only will see part of it.

      Delete
  2. We've been watching some of the games on Telemundo, and we like it! Less fake drama announcing, because we can't understand what anyone is saying (well, we each speak an incredibly minimal amount of Spanish).

    Sounds like you made the best out of the potentially very expensive experience, so well done you.

    Let's just say that I'm very happy to be home. Hopefully that was my final ever work business trip. I definitely finished with a bang! ;-) - Hawaii Planner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing better than the Telemundo announcers when a goal is scored. Goooooooooaaaaaaallllll. If I hear the word "suffer" by the Fox announcers one mire time to des ribe teams with players making millions playing a game I may scream.Way so over the top dramatic.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a fun week! I bet the concert was great! Love the desk.
    I'm having trouble commenting on blogs, so hopefully this one will go thru.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got it. Yes, very pretty desk abd5perfrct size for the space he has. It natches his woodwork perfectly.

      Delete
  4. Oh wow, what a beautiful desk for your son and free, how neat! Yours is the second blog post I’ve read about the smoke from the fires. I hope it clears out soon. I had a good chuckle at your comment about speaking Spanish on American soil. hehehe

    Belinda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friends has been so generous. The smoke is better today but it's likely going to come back.

      Delete
  5. Sure hope the smoke lets up so you and pup can enjoy the lake. Your concert experience sounds memorable and lovely to share it with family. Keep enjoying the summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much better today. Good concert Tuesday night. He still sounds great but had to be beat by the end.

      Delete
  6. I'm sorry about the smoke. I live in the West and it's a fact of life.....every.....summer. 619 fires active in the US right now.

    I've been working out of the freezer all week. 7 leftovers and vac sealed smoked NM chilis from '25 became a pan of unstuffed peppers. 8 servings for us. Vac sealed blackberries became compote for pancakes or yogurt. 2 pck cooked greens became breakfast quiche-7 servings. 1c walnuts and 2 frozen bananas went into 12 protein muffins (Kodiak mix). These are terrific and I have 3 more bananas in the freezer. I have more greens for another quiche on Monday and will make the muffins to go with it.

    The only food purchased this week: tomatoes for salads as I have 2 heads of leaf lettuce and milk-we were out. Oh and limes for my evening cocktail ;-)

    I had a munchies attack Wednesday and we went out for lupper getting a plate of nachos. Very disappointing from a place that has been terrific for decades.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I buy so few groceries now. Hardly worth stopping. My meals the other night wasn't as good either at the Mexican restaurant. Ingredients didn't seem as fresh..

      Delete
  7. I'm curious about the surveys you take. What company are they with? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a beautiful desk. I heard all the northern concerts were cancelled because of the harsh and smokey conditions. Glad yours wasn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It hadn't gotten bad yet Tuesday when concert happened but Wednesday and Thursday just thick.

      Delete
  9. Wow, what a gorgeous desk. Glad you had a great time at the concert. We go to our youngest son's place on the 1st of August, catch our plane early on the 2nd and will be in Budapest on the 3rd. Stay in the hotel that night/day, and then the next day go to the ship. We won't be home until late on the 14th and so will stay at our son's that night and come home the next.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That'll be quite a trip. Nice that you'll get some te with your son

      Delete
  10. What a beautiful desk/bureau and chair, your son definitely struck lucky there. How awful about the smoke from the wildfires.....there are wildfires here too but nowhere near the scale of yours. We've had one locally, up on a wooded hill and fortunately not near houses, think it was started by kids/teens messing around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friends mom has been so kind. She was happy though to give things to young folks starting theirs homes. I guess France is having more than usual and close to Paris.

      Delete
  11. We've been watching the World Cup games, and though there are many rules I don't understand, I will be watching games more often now. We have planned our Sunday around the game. I think I will be pulling for Spain and I have no reason to but I always have to pick a team to cheer for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had thought we would do Spain as well because my daughter studied there. Shes rooting against because she found the football culture obnoxious! Funny, I guess any sport can have the ridiculous fans that create unpleasantness.

      Delete
  12. My children’s paternal grandmother is from Mexico, and I have never understood the animosity MAGA shows towards our neighbor adjoining our southern border. Two of my kids look just like her so I really feel disrespected when folks start talking ugly about Mexico and other Hispanic countries. Also, apparently MAGA doesn’t remember history bc Mexico used to own a large portion of the U. S. Love the Spanish cheering for soccer on U. S. soil!! Gorgeous desk! Wow! Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone to hate. They had Asian, Middle eastern, and African immigrants equally though it seems. Equal opportunity hate for non white immigrants. Of course they know nothing about history. I heard there was backlash against New Mexico because the idiots didn't understand it's a US state!

      Delete
  13. May I shriek about being charged $31 for a hard seltzer??? You are a better woman than me, San!

    Gorgeous desk for your son - how wonderful for him. And your week sounds like it was a lovely mix of friends, family, and activities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all swallowed hard getting our drinks. It was a 20 ounce can, so sort of two drinks, but yeah. A can of Liquid Death Watercwas $7...for still water.

      Delete
  14. Your concert sounds like it was a lot of fun!
    There are so many areas affected by the smoke. I’m in Florida so not here but I have a friend in Thunder Bay, Ont. and it is terrible there.
    What a gorgeous desk! That will be great for your son.
    I’m rooting for Spain in the World Cup final. I was glad (and surprised) that England beat France for 3rd place. Barbara M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I eax just lisfening to a story on the wide spread impact of the fires. So sad for those directly impacted. I've never seen so many goals past youth soccer!

      Delete
  15. Is your goulash a specific recipe, or made with whatever is at hand?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely not a specific recipe. Pretty much always ground beef and onions, but if I have peppers or other veg that softens nicely, I'll throw them in to cook with meat. I like to use a large can of crushed tomatoes, then season with love, not measurements, salt, pepper, garlic, or other herbs and spices I am feeling, then add the cooked macaroni. Simmer it all for a good 10 minutes so the macaroni gets the sauce adhered well.

      Delete
  16. LOVE THE DESK. Wished I could have one but it would cover the vent in floor SIGH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, upon getting there ( and should have took measurements) it's not going to work. It's too heavy and too big to move and fit through his doors.

      Delete

Post a Comment

If you comment anonymously, it'd be nice to have a name to go with the comment. It helps me string other people's comments and therefore their experiences together.