Adventures in (Pathetic) Gardening

      This past couple days were wonderfully coolish days but with loads of sun.  By coolish after the wave of early heat we had, I mean upper 70's to mid 80's and little humidity. I could really embrace summer if that was the norm. I used to love the heat, but never the humidity. Getting stuff done outside sure is better when I'm not dripping with sweat after 10 minutes. Fall is my season, but with time on my hands to enjoy being outside, being one with the grass, the dirt, plants, and even weeds, I'm starting to embrace summer again. My front yard is toast. I can't justify using water when we're in drought conditions. It'll come back; it always does

     The daylillies bought last year survived and there was actual blooms.  The hydrangeas however are not looking great. The peony from the Buy Nothing seems to be growing and thriving, but these don't look like peonies so maybe its sonething else? It's pretty and I like the pop of color. 


    I was thinking I'm going to get a few sunflowers from last years flower seed. But they've now stalled. They started to grow near the peony. I really should get more intentional at saving the seeds correctly as these seem to be quite hardy and like that spot by the garage. They probably need much more water.

Two sunflowers are growing amongst
 the what I thought was a peony.


The daylillies seem to be doing well. I might get more for the back rocks that surround the patio.

     Raspberries are overgrown and will be challenging to pick. My fault for not cutting back, but I'll have another good supply I think. I've still got a few frozen from last year and need to use them in something. I'm not planning to make any more jam until fall, and have been giving away from the supply finally made late spring. I'm on the lookout for more jam jars free or cheap for fall. Oh, and my first cherry tomatoes, two, have been picked.

What a bounty...

     I lost my perk as the summer went on courtesy of the heat and humidity. But I can putter at my own speed so that's what I do. I'm still puzzled what to do about the side mess and under the spruce trees, but in time I'll come up with solutions. I don't want a manicured pristine back yard, but don't like bare patches of dirt and and overgrown weeds and thistle. Maybe I'll save to get a professional in next summer. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Worse Than I Imagined

Cancelled

Friday Fiscal Wellness Check August 22, 2025