Sunday, Sunday

       Yesterday was a mix of productivity and enjoying the weather. The rock project is going to be slow going, but will get there. I got some raking done, and the garden weasel out to loosen soil in a few spots to put grass seed down. I'm going to give that a try before investing in sod. I wish I had taken before pictures, but here's how the yard looks now after the tree surgeons tackled the spruces and trimmed the maple. I'll have good sunlight. I know the spruce will need to come down eventually. 

Neighbors fence that will line up to mine. It needs a good scrub so need to figure out what will clean the almost algae like growth.
The barren yard, with little grass but now will get good morning sunlight. The fire pit has to be moved or eliminated. I might redesign the rocks to be the place to put a chiminea log burner.

The best look to see how tall and how much had to be cut to create the right clearance. 


     I'm holding off putting the patio set out until the fence project is done. I'll just use the existing chairs and loungers when we want to be out back.  I think a "grand reveal" is something to look forward too. I got the front porch tidied- a carry over task from last week's list. These chairs were bought cheaply at the start of Covid. The wicker bench had disintegrated in places the previous summer. I still want a bench or seating set up that's more attractive but haven't finalized my choice. I've 1/2 dozen options saved in various carts. This works for now as a good morning and early afternoon spot to read or chat. I want, I want...sorry, saying I want a bit too much lately. 

The table is hideous but works for holding a cup of coffee and to rest a book. Making do with what was already in the house. 

     Today's plans are more of the same. Tackling jobs, taking breaks. I'm running to Menards for furnace filters, a non-kink hose and new spray nozzle and grass seed. With rain this week, I want to get more seed down. I'm putting dal ingredients in crock pot, ready to eat today or reheat tomorrow. Both girls are coming at some point, older has an early morning car appointment near me, so staying over. Younger coming to do laundry, hang out and have supper. 

     Slow progress for the relative battling the small intestine infection. He's still hospitalized, feeling lousy, but no new set backs yesterday to which we're grateful. It's just such a mystery how he both got sick and how hard it's been for the doctors to manage. I'll check in with my MIL on how she's doing with the situation. 

     Basically, I've no real specific plans today but to be semi productive and enjoy the day in some fashion. I'll hit work at 90 miles an hour by 7:30 a.m. tomorrow so want to not think about it today.  

Comments

  1. Here's hoping your relative makes a quick recovery. That sounds really hard.

    Your yard is a great open space. Can't wait to see the big reveal! I also love the color of your chairs. I'm such a boring decorator, but the pop of color looks really fantastic.

    I can't tell what your fire pit looks like, but we're not allowed to have one in our area, so we've turned it into a planter. We have mint in ours, and it goes gang busters, but also can't take over the rest of a garden box, so it's well contained.

    -Hawaii Planner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll be disappointing I think, no Better Homes and Gardens, but slowly will be a good space.

      Delete
  2. There is a product called Wet & Forget - it's for moss, mold, mildew & algae stain remover. It is available at Amazon for under $30. We use it on our garage regularly and it works pretty well. No scrubbing. Might need to treat twice, depending on how severe it is, but we have had good luck with it. Good luck with your yard work. Seems you have a decent plan in place. Ranee (MN)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will look to order it. I got another brand, but might return.

      Delete
  3. It's more than okay to want. And to say it out loud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess- just don't want to be self absorbed.

      Delete
  4. I've been away for a couple of days so just catching up on your posts agan. You've gotten so much done and can be more than proud of yourself. My neighbour is just at the start of her journey and I can already see how hard it is on her!!! And I hope your relative is getting better every day. What a worry for you all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lot- I feel for her. We're all still worried.

      Delete
  5. You will enjoy have more light in the yard. You have accomplished much. Don't over do it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear about your relative. I hope you have answers soon and a good recovery. You are going to have so much fun relaxing in your outside spaces this Summer. Mine is my favorite place too. Awesome news on the tree trimmers. It's always a win to come under budget isn't it?
    Have a wonderful Sunday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of someone so young going through what he is.

      Delete
  7. That's a big garden (yard) area, and a lot of work for you, but will give you a great sense of satisfaction when you're done. I hope you'll get and accept help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most will be grass and just mowing. Yes, I'll probably hire help when my son moves on.

      Delete
  8. I have had make-do yard furniture before. It all changed when two neighbors moved and allowed me to have a bistro set and another gave me a very sturdy bench and side table. A can of spray paint finished them and looked great in my yard, both metal.

    So far, it all looks great. Summer will be different for you this year. Dogs will enjoy the fenced yard. I cannot wait to see the finished product, the reveal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I found good second hand, I'd be pleased.

      Delete
  9. We use Wet and Forget and are big fans.
    Wanting is fine, don't fret over wanting.
    I hope your relative gets needed relief soon and is up and about before too long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope tomorrow is better for him. You're the 3rd recommendation, so will need to give it a go.

      Delete
  10. You are getting so much accomplished! I see you have a playground nearby! That looks like so much fun! Will send up a prayer for your sick family member. That sounds really rough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Itv as- when my kids were young. I'll still have access for family visiting.

      Delete
  11. Is that a playground in one of the pictures ?
    American and British outdoor spaces are intriguingly different - but I would love to have a porch
    Siobhan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes,we back up to a park with playground, bball courts, an open field area, and pond. It's not large but nice for the neighborhood

      Delete
  12. Oh I like the yellow teal combination! Rock projects almost by their definition need to go slowly. Rocks do not move quick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just a plastic table, but good enough for now. The rocks are a bother.

      Delete
  13. Jre I am very fond of spray paint! Even a kind just for plastic. I have a large metal patio set that’s about 15 plus years old from Kmart but was Martha Stewart and is so heavy and sturdy! I’m on my third set of cushions and I’ve spray painted all a black hammered metal that took awhile but looked great! The set is due for touch up this year and I’d bought extra cans of spray paint for that in case the color outdated. I have also bought several Better Homes and Gardens brand of outdoor furniture from Walmart and have been very surprised/pleased! Looking forward to outdoor work again but with my new knee and I can’t kneel so unsure how it’ll go. I’m a kneel and dig in the dirt kind of person. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a bit worried about my knee, but I hope your healing well.

      Delete
  14. Hope your relative heals up soon.
    You sound as though you've got a lot of work done in the garden. It's something that we have to make more of a priority. There is a lot of winter tidying up to be done and decisions to make. We have a tree that needs to come down too. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

If you comment anonymously, it'd be nice to have a name to go with the comment. It helps me string other people's comments and therefore their experiences together.

Popular posts from this blog

Testing the Waters

Floundering Financially

On Having Things to Look Forward To