Dinners Past and Future

     


    I have to get to the grocery store at some point this week as we are running out of basics. I feel pretty good where we landed for my month, which goes through the 26th for groceries and household. It's supposed to be gloomy and rainy so maybe a good day to meal plan and shop. It'll likely be a medium kind of shop- restocking pantry and freezer and fresh stuff for more immediate use. I hope to get inside stuff done too as I have a few very hectic days ahead. What did we eat this past week anyway?

  • Sunday- Baked Chicken, vegetables, toast
  • Monday- Crockpot mock lasagna
  • Tuesday - Son had salmon and vegetables, I had appetizers at a work event
  • Wednesday- Spaghetti Bolognese 
  • Thursday- Cottage pie and biscuits 
  • Friday- Store bought take and bake pizza 
  • Saturday- Burgers on the grill at my sister's, I brought a fruit and a veggie tray. 
     There's leftovers for today, plus thawed taco meat. I think I'll make an egg bake for brunch with a batch of muffins or maybe waffles. That'll use up my flour I think. Not sure what we'll have for the week ahead- probably the same rotation of meals we've had, but there's a few things we've not had for a while. I still haven't used up the tortellini, so perhaps Chicken tortellini Alfredo, pasta or soup depending on the weather, time, and who might be here. I bought arborio rice ages ago with intent to make risotto. With asparagus coming soon, I'd love a creamy and cheesy version with the green spears. It's been ages since I made orange chicken or lo mein, though both have been on the list. 

     Basically, I have no meal plans for the week ahead yet, but want to start a list and build from basics and a few splurge items. My daughter stopped at Sam's Club and grabbed a huge hummus tub for me. I love veggies and hummus and it's helping me get the snacky crunches I crave, without chips or crackers. Plus of course, helps get my five a day in. So I'll be stocking up on more carrots and cucumbers. These are favorites for all my kids too- a core to girls dinner nights, though my son likes both too. He's welcome to join in. 

Comments

  1. Ooh, I love risotto & it's one of my all time favorite meals. My husband can't eat it due to food allergies, but it was a staple on our menu before that. I now eat it as often as possible when we're out. If you like moderately spicy things, the jalapeno hummus at Trader Joes is also excellent. (Hawaii Planner)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I e only made it a few times- need to be in the moment I guess as it's putsy.

      Delete
  2. I just made hummus for the week for my mid-morning snack at work. It's so healthy and tasty. We've been eating fresh asparagus for a few weeks now, but we are a lot further south than you. It's one of my favorite spring veggies. I hope you enjoy your Sunday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I soaked some chickpeas for a sort of chicken lie salad spread. All the hummus talk made me want homemade.

      Delete
  3. Your food choices sound delicious and lots of variety- and meal planning can be hard work so well done - like you I love hummus - my neighbours are from Jordan and make the best hummus I have ever tasted !

    Hope your working week goes well - and that you get some warmer days soon
    Siobhan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The store bought isn't nearly as good, but in a pinch it's so handy. I am hoping for a good week too. There's been some challenges lately I haven't blogged so much about.

      Delete
  4. We are finishing up the month thinking "Hmmn, gonna have to replenish that in the pantry. Oh, and that too." (One of the many reasons we always shop with a list!) We will have some guests this month for a few days here and there, including my older son and grandson (5); I need to find out what the grandson will or will not eat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's rare I get down to no flour, so it's been a while since I be really stocked up. Good luck feeding your grandson. Kids can be difficult to impress.

      Delete
  5. Meal planning can be a chore, can't it? But it helps keep your shop and your budget in line. I love a good hummus with an olive tapenade. If I can't find one with olives I just chop up some Kalmatas and make my own. Nom Nom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, though with sharing costs with my son, I think we're eating better at same per person budget. I love olives with hummus.

      Delete
  6. Save me a serving of the risotto! ;) this is our last week alone before B is home for the summer so meals will be simple and easy and pretty much cobbled together with what’s on hand. We’ll have to do a big grocery shop once she’s back. My dad wants me to check out this discount store that he likes to shop at so that’s on the agenda for Tuesday. JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it turns out, but now that's all I really want this week. The only discount store anywhere near here is still over 45 minutes on a good day. I'm rarely that far or that direction.

      Delete
  7. I love hummus. But, I make my own at home. I tried some store bought and preferred mine, made with home cooked great northern beans. My friend who was married to Jordanian said my version tasted just like it was made from chick peas.

    Chicken tortellini alfredo sounds so delicious. I am glad you have family around you for you to cook for them. Your dogs should be very happy with all the good care they get.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do love risotto, but I had prefer someone else make it. All that stirring drives me batty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there's a reason I haven't made it for ages. I had it on the cruise one night. Delicious.

      Delete
  9. I wish I had more time to meal plan. That's on my list of to do things for retirement. Your meals sounds good. I've seen recipes for crockpot lasagna & plan to try it one of these days. I've tried baking lasagna a couple times & it didn't turn out as tasty & flavorful as I thought it should.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My lasagna is ok- I've had better and worse. The crockpot version is essentially just a hot dish/ casserole to the rest of the world, with lasagna ingredients and so easy to prepare ahead.

      Delete
  10. I like to get the big tub of hummus from Sam's Club too. It's so good with veggies. And like Sluggy, I enjoy it with an olive tapenade. I need to do some grocery shopping this week too. I have a busy week ahead with an appointment nearly every day. I hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite summer lunch is hummus,olives, and cucumber on a slice of bread or toast. Mmmm

      Delete
  11. I have to do my meal plan for the week. It certainly does help with cost cutting and also the temptation of giving in to just buy something and bring home lol. I love hummus. I eat mine with those mini naan bread things

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

If you comment anonymously, it'd be nice to have a name to go with the comment. It helps me string other people's comments and therefore their experiences together.

Popular posts from this blog

Testing the Waters

Floundering Financially

On Having Things to Look Forward To