Kitten Update

      Here's the whole story. I shared my daughter was having oral surgery Monday afternoon so we decided it made sense for her to stay with me as I'd be her driver, plus give her some TLC after for a couple days. She came with kitty Sunday night but mentioned he'd thrown up and wasn't eating like normal. Otherwise, he was playful and the same. Monday afternoon, almost night, when we got back, she was very worried. My older daughter had come later for the pet care and also had no luck getting him to eat or potty. I took him to the 24 hour vet, 25 minutes away. 

     Poor kitty- it was hours before he could be thoroughly examined, but did check vitals and were in normal ranges. They suggested I go home and they'd call. Two hours later, the vet called. While his vitals were good, he still wasn't urinating and an X-ray revealed something foreign in his tummy. They gave him IVs and with approval, walked me through the needed surgery to remove the obstruction. Surgery happened Tuesday after 9:00. Before that though, they had to use a catheter to get his bladder unstuck. He did wonderfully well. The object, or potentially objects, were hair ties, a clump. Well, he lives with two young women with long hair and they're always going astray, and he finds them and plays. Eating them though was a shock. He's so picky he only eats a certain type of wet food and no treats. Guess who needs to deep clean their apartment and change their messy habits?

     They kept him for 24 hours, making sure he could eat, pee and poop, calling me at 6:00 a.m. Wednesday morning. I was there shortly after to bring him home. He has a little cone, and meds he needs three times a day. She has to keep him low activity for 10-14 days. Yesterday was fun...one kitty to keep low activity, energetic two year old dog wanting to check on the kitten, and angry old man dog barking at the commotion. We'll take grandpup to doggy day care going forward on days my daughter has to work until daughter and kitten go back to their apartment. He'll have a better time playing all day. The kitty will stay with me for recuperation and for me being the designated medicine giving bad guy. His girl is going back to work today. He's using a pop up dog kennel as his safe play, rest area and he'll hang with me, with trips to the litter box. Monitoring his potty is an important post op task. 

     Poor kid; she was miserable on day three, the worst as warned by the oral surgeon. But, she's only used alternating Tylenol and Ibuprofen, not taking any of the Tramadol prescribed and filled if needed. I made an interesting "British" soup, basically vegetable soup pureed to smithereens, that she appreciated as she was getting tired of yogurt, pudding, mashed potatoes and apple sauce. I'll try to be productive too, though I'm pretty impressed that I actually accomplished a few things. I think care of daughter and trying to preserve my sanity with all the needy pets counts as sick time. We're all relieved for the happy ending. I paid the bill, but we'll figure out how much she can afford to pay me back. Really though, I'll just write it off, knowing how awful it would have been for my daughter's mental health if he didn't pull through. 

Getting lots of snuggles with his girl. 

Comments

  1. I'm so glad everything turned out well. It's so stressful when something is wrong with our fur friends and they can't tell us what. It's good you got him care when you did. This could have been bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww sweet kitty! I'm so glad that he is improving. Thank you for taking care of everybody.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you can be there to help your daughter (and, the pets) right now. I'm sure it means so much to her. (Hawaii Planner)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is wonderful that you can be there for your daughter's and Kitty's after care. I hope both recover quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad that all patients are on the mend - definitely have to be wary of hairties and string! My sister has daughters with long-ish hair, and two kitties. So far no issues there but these little scamps are always up to something!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, poor babies. I hope they are all better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor kitty. Good thing you go him in! I'm sure that wasn't a cheap vet bill. Who would think they would eat hair ties! Hope you dd is on the mend and nice she has you to help take care of everything.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor kitty! Thank you!!! And your poor baby - hope all are healing well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The poor baby! I'm so glad he's on the mend. Thank goodness you acted so quickly. He's such a beautiful boy. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yeah, one of our girls found that out also. The other one had her dog eat her hair brush she left on the couch, surgery also. Floors get swept daily now along with only doing hair in bathroom or bedroom

    ReplyDelete
  11. So good to hear your daughter's oral surgery went well, and that kitty is recovering. You can buy soft plush cones (amazon) that are much more comfy for pets if he needs to wear one for long.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Between daughter having oral surgery and kitty having surgery, you have been busy. She could not have made it without your help. Well, it would be hard. The soup you made does sound like a relief from the other 'food' she had been eating.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

If you comment anonymously, it'd be nice to have a name to go with the comment. It helps me string other people's comments and therefore their experiences together.

Popular posts from this blog

Testing the Waters

Floundering Financially

On Having Things to Look Forward To